Welcome to the Downeast Boat Forum, the premier website dedicated to the Downeast Boat enthusiast! Sign up today and talk with other Downeast Boat enthusiasts about everything from Lobster Boats, Downeast Cruisers, Lobster Skiffs,Long-lining Boats, Sword Fishing Boats, Downeast Boat Projects/ Repairs,Downeast Boats for Sale,and Downeast Boat Design. And of course what would a Downeast boat forum be without chatting it up with other members about Tuna Fishing, Lobstering, Striped Bass, Live Bait (Pogies,Herring,Mackerel), Fishing Reports, Lobsterboat Races, Fishing Gear, Downeast Boat Pictures, Charter Boats, ETC
Home Register Pictures FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   Downeast Boat Forum > Classifieds > Free Classifieds for Downeast Boats /Marine Equipment/Fishing Tackle For Sale or Wanted!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Very nice layout.
Looks to me the winter back & the whole stb side are removable, maybe with a screw gun ?
Also, I see the Hydro Slave tank but not the hauler. Removed ?

So someone educate me.
Watching the youtube clip looks like this boat goes great in a following sea !
What makes this Wayne beal so much better than other downeast of it's size, including my 28 BHM which I'm the 1st to admit can suck in a following sea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Ditto question???????

Also, what is the width and draft of the Wayne Beal?
And, who has the mold to the 28 Wayne Beal?
yes the winter back can be removed with a screw gun. not glassed in. We put that up last year super quick for winter GBT down in morehead. As far as the hauler there never was one. Wayne put that unit in for power steering and if i ever wanted to add a hauler later on. Thaks for the nice words on the boat.
the beam is 10.9 at the widest point and tapers down to 9 feet at the transom. the draft I dont know under three feet or at least right around three feet. The last I heard the mold was sold to a guy in Rockland Maine. Thats all I know about the mold.
Kobey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #32 (permalink)
1000 Post Senior Member
 
Blitzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sumday Isle
Posts: 1,155
Default

Bill,
The fine entry of the boat is what gives the BHM it's nice head sea ride but in a following sea that same entry can act like a rudder if there is not a lot of buoyancy in the bow or there isn't much weight in the back end.
The 28 Wayne Beal has a bigger entry giving it lift and buoyancy which really helps in a following sea. Following sea ride can be greatly improved if weight can be moved aft on a boat that has a fine entry.
Take a look at the two hulls and see the difference.
Attached Images
__________________
Flowers Boatworks 36 with a 575 CAT.
USCG 1600 Ton Master / Chief mate unlimited
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #33 (permalink)
500 Post Senior Member
 
Hooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bass River, Mass
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Bill,
The fine entry of the boat is what gives the BHM it's nice head sea ride but in a following sea that same entry can act like a rudder if there is not a lot of buoyancy in the bow or there isn't much weight in the back end.
The 28 Wayne Beal has a bigger entry giving it lift and buoyancy which really helps in a following sea. Following sea ride can be greatly improved if weight can be moved aft on a boat that has a fine entry.
Take a look at the two hulls and see the difference.
Hmmm, Fair Tide...looks vaguely familiar to me...
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #34 (permalink)
Captain
 
BillD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Haverhill MA., boating out of the mighty Merrimack River
Posts: 3,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Bill,
The fine entry of the boat is what gives the BHM it's nice head sea ride but in a following sea that same entry can act like a rudder if there is not a lot of buoyancy in the bow or there isn't much weight in the back end.
The 28 Wayne Beal has a bigger entry giving it lift and buoyancy which really helps in a following sea. Following sea ride can be greatly improved if weight can be moved aft on a boat that has a fine entry.
Take a look at the two hulls and see the difference.
John, perfectly explained and understood!!!

Looking @ the 28 Beal hull it appears that the Calvins "in general" are good "following sea" boats and maybe not as good "head sea" boats??

Yes?? No??

Also, does a "sharp entry" mean a drier ride??
I've heard that a 32 Mitchell Cove (pic below) is a "wet boat" and may "pound a bit". The 32 MC does not have a "sharp entry".

True?

Again, like others who have never owned a DE, I'm trying to learn here! LOL

Bill
Attached Images
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #35 (permalink)
1000 Post Senior Member
 
Blitzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sumday Isle
Posts: 1,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
John, perfectly explained and understood!!!

Looking @ the 28 Beal hull it appears that the Calvins "in general" are good "following sea" boats and maybe not as good "head sea" boats??

Yes?? No??

Also, does a "sharp entry" mean a drier ride??
I've heard that a 32 Mitchell Cove (pic below) is a "wet boat" and may "pound a bit". The 32 MC does not have a "sharp entry".

True?

Again, like others who have never owned a DE, I'm trying to learn here! LOL
Bill
Bill I would agree that Calvin's designs are good in a following sea but as you know nothing comes without cost and assuming that weight and ballance is right, if you keep the hulls in the water and not go too fast you will get a good overall ride in most conditions. My 28WB was fast and dry when you could go fast but when you had to slow down and put the hull back in the water it could be wet.
I do not think that a finer entry makes for a drier ride, I think that most boats are wet depending on how they run and the wind and sea conditions. The only time they are dry is when they are out of the water.
I can't say about the MC32 but looking at the bottom in your picture it sure looks like it could carry a lot of traps.
Bill have you ever been in a flat bottom clam boat on a choppy day?
__________________
Flowers Boatworks 36 with a 575 CAT.
USCG 1600 Ton Master / Chief mate unlimited
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Advertising • Downeast Boat Forum is enhanced with content-revelevant advertisings.
Old 12-28-2011   #36 (permalink)
Captain
 
BillD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Haverhill MA., boating out of the mighty Merrimack River
Posts: 3,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Bill I would agree that Calvin's designs are good in a following sea but as you know nothing comes without cost and assuming that weight and ballance is right, if you keep the hulls in the water and not go too fast you will get a good overall ride in most conditions. My 28WB was fast and dry when you could go fast but when you had to slow down and put the hull back in the water it could be wet.
I do not think that a finer entry makes for a drier ride, I think that most boats are wet depending on how they run and the wind and sea conditions. The only time they are dry is when they are out of the water.
I can't say about the MC32 but looking at the bottom in your picture it sure looks like it could carry a lot of traps.
Bill have you ever been in a flat bottom clam boat on a choppy day?
Not a clam boat but my 13 ft. Zodiac hard bottom.
Gettin there!!! LOL
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #37 (permalink)
Captain
 
steveinak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Piker Central
Posts: 2,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Bill,
The fine entry of the boat is what gives the BHM it's nice head sea ride but in a following sea that same entry can act like a rudder if there is not a lot of buoyancy in the bow or there isn't much weight in the back end.
The 28 Wayne Beal has a bigger entry giving it lift and buoyancy which really helps in a following sea. Following sea ride can be greatly improved if weight can be moved aft on a boat that has a fine entry.
Take a look at the two hulls and see the difference.
I'll throw my boat into this for comparison
Name:  H&H4.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  h& H land stern.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  82.2 KB
__________________



alaskashrimppots.com
shrimp & crab pots, Electra Dyne haulers, rope, buoys, bait
steveinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #38 (permalink)
200 Post Senior Member
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: old saybrook, ct
Posts: 254
Default

i asked today where the 28 mold was at Wayne beals shop the kid told me they got ride of it???????good question where did it go?????????? Anybody know??????
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #39 (permalink)
200 Post Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 249
Default

muscle ridge 28. hutchinson composits, cushing maine. my seaworthy-bhm molds are there also
mudhake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #40 (permalink)
Captain
 
BillD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Haverhill MA., boating out of the mighty Merrimack River
Posts: 3,766
Default ?? Mudhake ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhake View Post
muscle ridge 28. hutchinson composits, cushing maine. my seaworthy-bhm molds are there also
Is this THE famous Steve Law ????
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Skins: WebSkinsPlus.com