1981 B&S 35 Project

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Keelboater, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28, CuttyHunk 28 Molds
    I'll disagree with this, The one on my boat is sturdy an secure and much better hand hold than pulling on the helm.

Attached Files:

2. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Good point. There's nothing around my helm to grab onto other than the wheel...

3. restless

restless Captain

I installed these. DSCF0091.JPG

Fishnjess and Keelboater like this.
  4. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    Not that you asked but I used the original Bruno bronze helm bearing with a large (22-24") wheel, then connected the helm pump, behind the bulkhead, with sprockets and chain. This took the wheel load off the little helm (Wagner), gave me 4-5" more room to stand in, and allowed me to adjust the gear ratio between the wheel and the helm. My chain drive autopilot runs up from under the companionway steps to the helm shaft also with sprockets and chain allowing ratio changes here too.

5. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I had a piece of 1 inch tubing welded along the rear face of the wiring tube about 12 inches long that was a favored "oh shit" handle on the Blackfin. Long enough for me to use from the helm but still enough for a passenger to grab also. I miss this feature on the Crowley and and find myself gripping the binnaccle on the throttle. I will add it into the final Merlin scheme if possible.

6. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Waiting for some resin to cure and came in to kill a few minutes..........A wire chase of some sort is a must have to keep everything sanitary. The flybridge Bruno's all have the post but this one never did have a flybridge and so it never received the post. I'm not favoring either approach at this point and have to see where the radar mast will be mounted. A grab handle is a definite plus. I'll fabricate whatever is needed to get a neat installation and help keep the crew on their feet. I have mast material cut and am going to get into some stainless welding in the near future. That will be a welcome change from resin and gel coat!

Bill and xbskt like this.
  7. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    FWIW, we use the heck out of the rigging tube as a handhold. Works for all sizes of humans too, vs. mounting handles at heights that may or may not be comfortable for larger or smaller folks. I do like the look of the wooden grabrails on the ceiling, but can't afford to lose the headroom and don't want any add'l penetrations in the hardtop.

Have you considered a stripper pole in the middle of the salon? Seems kind of practical. :D

[​IMG]

8. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I finally have the flat areas that surround the windows faired and gel coat started. This was originally just rough fiberglass as layed up at B&S with laminating resin. Initially I was going to add coring to stiffen the area, but decided to go with the simple teak trim method as mentioned by toolate. It will be more than enough to do the job, so why bother with coring that may pose a problem down the road. It was easier to modify my plans for trimming out the wheel house instead. The new flat window perimeter will be finish sanded and buffed, and anything below this will not be visible once the trim and furnishings are installed. For this season it will simply be white gel coat everywhere..............light years ahead of that baby diaper brown! It took gallons of acetone and severe elbow grease to thoroughly remove 37 years of "sticky mung" that etched itself into that laminating resin to prep for gel coat. It's now at the point that I feel "almost human" when I climb into the boat to continue working under the shrink wrap. On the other hand, I did notice that some people don't get to experience "the joy" of grinding fiberglass under shrink wrap the way I did during a major boat project - and I can't help but feel sorry for them. :rolleyes: :D

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

Fishnjess, kcassells, Toolate and 5 others like this.
  9. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Patiently waiting for windows to arrive and also waiting for some additional 316 stainless for my radar mast, so I began making an aluminum dash panel. I have all the holes in it and blasted it for paint today. It will be receiving that re-chromed CAT bezel when all is said and done. I picked up most of the new gauges at the Defender sale. It's a baby step but progress none the less. It should look nice when it's done.

Aluminum Dash Panel.jpg

fishnjesse, duckhunter and Genius like this.
  10. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    The dash panel turned out great! Any add'l details or pics on how you made it? Did you use a sheet metal brake to bend it?

Good progress!

11. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Thanks Duck. Yes, I used a brake to match the profile of the fiberglass dash. The lower hole pattern matches that of the old CAT bezel. Hole saw sizes are 2 1/16" and 3 3/8". I want the panel to be easily removed from the top for any wiring access. I can't stand having to climb into tight areas to do this. Even though this boat has an access door into the compartment from the dinette area, the gauges and related wiring are still overhead and a bit cumbersome to reach from that angle because of the hydraulic helm pump.

fishnjesse and duckhunter like this.
  12. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

looking good. i prefer gelcoat over pint personally. great job.

Keelboater likes this.
  13. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Test fit front windows.........like a glove! Wynne does nice work for the money and they are a pleasure to deal with. (Flanges are obviously not tight in the photo) I still have some work to do on the sides of the house before I can fit the tinted side windows. Slow but steady.........

Front window Test Fit.JPG

ErikT, Toolate, winterking and 8 others like this.
  14. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    looks great!

15. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    She's starting to look like a boat again. I mixed up some left over Perfection to make a dark gray color for the dash panel that should hold up well, and painted the CAT bezel insert with a crinkle black finish. I went with Stewart Warner marine gauges, but kept the original CAT tach that was actually made by Faria. Being a one man show, it's been slow going to say the least. However, when I look back at what was there I feel pretty good about my progress. :eek:;) I can't wait to get the shrink wrap off, but it's not quite ready for that just yet.

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

ErikT, Old Mud, eyecatcher and 5 others like this.
  16. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    That looks so good! Love the gauge treatment and the recessed compass.

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any standard convention for the throttle/transmission gear arrangement; trans on port/throttle on starboard? I see yours is this way, but mine is opposite (throttle port/trans starboard).

Keelboater likes this.
  17. morichesfisherman27

morichesfisherman27 Captain

Boat Make:
    34 webbers cove
    Looks great! I know exactly what you mean about a one man show. Just keep chugging along

Keelboater likes this.
  18. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Wow fantastic work.. Im very glad you kept the Cat gauge cluster and really like the way you integrated with the others.
    With out a doubt, a Custom B&S 35..as stated..

FWIW, my Morse throttle/trans arrangement is the same as Keelboaters.

Keelboater likes this.
  19. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Arch - I believe that yours is opposite of most installations. The important thing is knowing which lever does what. We've all grabbed the wrong lever by accident at one point or another. ;)

Genius likes this.
  20. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Man this is clean work! Looks great.

Keelboater likes this.