1981 B&S 35 Project

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Keelboater, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Thanks Ben - it was real dirty work for a long time! :D
    I've been busy with some mechanical projects for a change. A new steering system is being installed now, with a new exhaust system to follow. Then the shrink wrap can finally be removed to complete the roof overhangs.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Need more pics!

3. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    New steering cylinder supplied by Gurryman........it was not identical, but close enough to make it fit with minor modifications to the cylinder bracket. Thanks Gurry!

IMG_3028.JPG

Somebody shortened the tail rod on the original cylinder - so it completely disappeared into the cylinder when fully extended :eek: :confused:

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

Test fit of new cylinder geometry with modified rudder arm and cylinder stop. It now gets a full 35 degrees of travel in each direction. Waiting for new cylinder hoses and Capilano helm to arrive. I also changed the rudder packing in the process. Now I might have to get some white gel coat down in that bilge. IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    The good news is that my brand new Capilano helm arrived! The bad news is I have to sand blast it and paint it the correct way! So this is quality in 2018. I dunno........I'm thinking that for $1000....... maybe....... just maybe, I wouldn't have to strip and re-paint a brand new part. If I send it back, I lose another two weeks on the project. I can only hope that the guts of this POS are better then the exterior of it! I'm sure they will blame it on the environmentally friendly water based paint they just changed over to rather than the shitty prep job they did. But they will hear about it regardless. :mad: Lets all give credit where credit is due when it comes to this BS. New Capilano Helm.JPG

5. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Capilano better have a brand spanking new unit in the overnight bag going out to you first thing Tuesday morning. That is outrageous and a total embarrassment to them.

6. Genius

Genius Captain

That sucks...It's too bad you have to deal with that. Thanks for sharing.

7. Genius

Genius Captain

what is the purpose of stainless angle iron piece across the steering hatch?

8. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    An extremely simple but effective steering stop.

Keelboater likes this.
  9. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I did receive a call from Capilano/Sea Star today regarding this mess and they want to make things right. However, the long weekend puts a kink in the solution. We'll see what happens and I will keep you posted. In the mean time I have already stripped the paint off the helm and have prepped it for re-painting. I just don't have time to waste here. Genius - yes that is an "overhead" steering stop bracket. Very simple and it works great.

Genius likes this.
  10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Vin, Just had to read page 8 and 9. Great looking job on that console. Yeah to bad about that helm. Being Aluminum, like any aluminum once they blast/ wire brush it the primer should go on within 8 hours because it will start oxidizing once it is clean. Prep is Everything.

And yeah some white gel coat or bilge coat is great to see any leakage or such.

11. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Thanks O.M. Yes prep is everything, which is probably why I was even more upset than usual when I opened that box. I had just returned from getting a colonoscopy. Talk about prep! :D Not to mention the starvation involved. So lets just say I was a bit on the cranky side to begin with. But that's all behind me. ;)

Old Mud likes this.
  12. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

No pun there !!!!!!! :D

Genius likes this.
  13. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Update - SeaStar was on the ball when they replaced the helm for me. Not only did they stand behind their product 100%, they went above and beyond any expectations. Two thumbs up for SeaStar customer support! :)

sailor of fortune and Genius like this.
  14. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I installed the new helm and steering wheel. Naturally it did not fit the existing Warner helm hole pattern so I had to fill holes and re-gel coat. A new wheel was required to fit the 3/4 tapered shaft because the old one had a 1" straight bore. Just waiting for a few fittings to arrive to complete the installation of the new steering system. (No - that Garmin is not installed there :rolleyes:) The weather has been good for painting so I applied some epoxy primer to a few odds and ends, and today I sprayed some CAT yellow enamel. I tried an experiment by adding some Interlux Perfection hardener to the CAT paint. It seems to have worked just fine and the finish seems to be more durable than conventional single part enamel. I shot the heat exchanger as well and it looks great. All parts were sand blasted prior to paint. The exhaust elbow is brand new but had been kicking around so I sprayed that as well. I also located a brand new CAT gear cooler to get this motor plumbed the correct way. It had been converted to an after market Sendure unit which was plumbed a little bit on the crazy side with "miles" of hose. It worked fine for many years, but it's not going back on.

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

15. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Hey, whatever happened to "Don't fix it if it Ain't broke." Good to see someone doing preventive maintenance. Job is looking great. :)

16. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    This boat was pretty tired before I got my paws on it. So I'm basically doing what has to be done with the exception of the windshield modification. And as far as that goes, I had to buy all new windows anyway, but just couldn't make myself commit to the original style again. So I sort of killed two birds with one stone there. I was hoping for a late June launch but it will most likely be in July some time.

Old Mud likes this.
  17. Roboteer

Roboteer Member

Welding Automation
    Boat Make:
    Midland 19
    Looking good Vin, as expected......

Keelboater likes this.
  18. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    She's really coming along! Nice to see the progress, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the house modifications turned out once you get her unwrapped. Keep pushing!

Keelboater likes this.
  19. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    The steering system is now complete. I installed fittings for a future second helm in the cockpit while I was at it. I had been debating a dry stack vs wet exhaust, but finally caved in to keep a wet system. The issue was finding a muffler to fit through the cockpit hatch without having to cut the deck up. Nobody makes a standard style that fits and I had no room for a lift muffler. Although custom can be ordered, lead time is not the greatest and cost is high. So I decided to make my own as a science experiment. The baffle has the same total sq. inch opening as a 6" tube so back pressure should be held to a minimum yet sound should be reduced a bit when water is flowing. The end sections are drilled for sound absorption but have no effect on flow rate. The first picture is before the outer end cap was glassed on. I used Hetron high temp resin on this project. The boat originally had just a straight hose out the transom with no muffler and rotten cast iron elbows. Now it will have Centek fiberglass components complete with a new surge tube. I also added a drain on the muffler which is not shown in the second picture. It's not the prettiest muffler, but it should help quiet things down a bit compared to that old straight pipe.

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

Providerrrick and Old Mud like this.
  20. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Function beats Beauty every time. :)

After having all night to think about this im thinking "Yeah even in Women" !!! :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018