1984 19' Seaway Seafarer

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by pametriver, Oct 18, 2017.

1. pametriver

pametriver New Member

Hello All,

Thank you all for this fantastic resource- been researching for a while and figured I'd introduce myself.

I missed an opportunity on a 19' Seaway Cuddy early last summer and have had my eye out ever since. Love the utility, comfortable cabin (for a 19'), lines, and fishability. Recently tracked one down, and I am considering making an offer- 1984 Seafarer- hull only, sound transom, below deck poly tank, 1-2 minor soft spots in deck, gelcoat will buff out nicely. Asking 5k, but owner is ready to move it and accepting offers.

I live down on Cape Cod and have owned a couple of small boats, fishing both freshwater ponds and tidal rivers, cruising the marsh, and anchoring up on the beach. Looking to move up to safely fish Billingsgate, Race Point, and Vineyard Sound. Maybe a quick overnight to Wellfleet or P-Town, river cruises and beach days. Essentially looking for a do-it-all utility boat that can handle a light chop on the ride home. Obviously, a safe, stable platform is key.

As the boat will need to be re-powered, I am considering 90-115 Etec power. My current boat feels sluggish with its current power plant, will 90 feel underpowered on the Seaway? Not looking to fly, but looking for 30+ kts at WOT. Anyone have a spare Etec lying around?!

To ensure a dry ride, are spray rails entirely necessary on this hull?

Although the hull is fairly light at 1250lb, does this hull tend to feel heavier while underway? Can I expect 2' chop to feel dampened?

I really appreciate your insight.

Thanks!

2. Spence

Spence Senior Member

my 2013 24 ht sport gets great perfromance w/115 yamaha (WOT 30 mph 18 @ 4K rpm) She weighs 2850. Seems like a 90 should be good for the 19.

3. slowzuki

slowzuki Member

Boat Make:
    Rosborough RF-18
    Looks like a similar hull shape to my Rosborough RF-18. Even with enough gear to be over 3000 lbs 100 hp gets her over 30 mph. I'm a bit of a newbie but from what I've experienced so far with it, 2 ft chop would pound pretty hard. Family member had an RF-246 before but the RF-18 and the 246 are nothing alike.

4. pametriver

pametriver New Member

Thank you both for your replies earlier this fall. The boat I looked at required more work than i was able to take on- so I'm still hunting. Thank you for sharing your experiences with similar hulls...