1994 five island/bruno

Discussion in 'Found Boats For Sale' started by wiseguy, Jun 27, 2018.

1. wiseguy

wiseguy Member

hi guys anybody familiar with this boat(five islands 1994 35ft). Are the five island exactly the same as the older bruno molds?
    Also how is it best to search the vessel documentation etc? I can’t find it on the coast guard search. Talking to the seller later about this.
    Seems like a nice boat. I am considering buying her, so any info is welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I'm not 100% sure but I think Five Islands dropped the keel to swing a larger wheel which is a big improvement compared to the original Bruno.

wiseguy likes this.
  3. johnnywhale

johnnywhale Member

His c/l ad lists it as a Bruno. For name recognition I hope.

wiseguy likes this.
  4. wiseguy

wiseguy Member

I don’t remember the exact prop it has bit it’s a 29*..something. So i also though they must of done something to the keel.

5. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    wiseguy -

The Five Islands 35 is made from Bruno & Stillman's 35 lobster hull mold (low shear) designed by Royal Lowell. It is distinct from its later Bruno sibling, the Sport Cruiser (high shear) which has molded-in spray rails and a much more laid back windscreen.

FI35's were built both solid and cored; coring starts at the engine stringers. I can't say if the keel modification was always the same, but there's no way a 29" prop will fit on mine. This is from CaptV's thread Trim tabs

Cummins 450 is a great motor, but big in size & weight. To handle that power, the prop is most likely oversquare. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

6. Tiderunner 29 h&h

Tiderunner 29 h&h Member

Boat Make:
    29 osmond beal
    This is a good friend of mines boat..... The boat is a perfect rig for any hardcore bottom fishermen or anyone trying to start a charter business...clean rig...Absolute tank in the water and she moves along just fine. I think hes crazy for selling her IMO

7. wiseguy

wiseguy Member

Does anyone know if the five island and brunos are the same thickness of fiber? Usually the older hulls were thicker and therefore sometimes still more in favor. I can’t seem to find any info regarding the company “five islands”

8. NausetBruno

NausetBruno Member

Very familiar with these boats hopefully my info helps.
    5islands, yes 6” drop in keel and about 12” wider. The wider hull keeps you a little more stable and the drop in keel gives you a larger prop for better speed.

As for the Bruno’s, all years are different. Before 76’ you had the cored hulls, 76-79 solid glass they were the most common in similarities. The first series up to 1984 built by Nauset marine were much heavier and different built. 1986 I guess they measured the glass more because the hulls got lighter more compared to the 76-79. All the different years they played with how the shaft left the boat too.

The five islands will be a easy riding fuel efficient friendly boat to you. Good luck!

Toolate likes this.
  9. wiseguy

wiseguy Member

Nausetbruno thanks a lot!
    So i am guessing the five islands are also less thick /heavy as the older brunos. I wonder how the ride differs.
    Someone told me five islands is still operational amy idea of this and any idea how many boats they made, and over what years?

Right now i am still looking for an engine mechanic to do a survey on the cummins engine, if anyone has recommendations for a certified mechanic let me know. It’s in the wantagh area new york, i would hope to have someone take a look this week.
    Regards,
    Steve

NausetBruno likes this.
  10. fiberglass pete

fiberglass pete Member

I don't think the five islands are any wider than the brunos they came out of the same mold and you can put any size skeg you want on there

11. NausetBruno

NausetBruno Member

I know the five islands is wider by 12”, and they changed the bolt on skeg design with the drop in keel. The Bruno mold I think is now non existent.

I’d say regarding the hulls the lighter Bruno’s 73-75, 76-79 and 86 will pop out of the water easier in a head sea. The heavy first series up to 1984 built by Nauset marine might take a wave to bow better but ride a little more wet. In all weather the five islands will be very similar just with some increased stability

strikecharters likes this.
  12. jon3030

jon3030 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35' Five Islands
    I owned a 35’ Five Islands. They are the same width as a Bruno but mine was solid glass with a dropped wet keel. Phenomenal hull, I wish I still had her. She rode as well as and rolled less than my current boat which is a solid glass 42’ Bruno.

Keelboater likes this.
  13. NausetBruno

NausetBruno Member

What year was your five islands? Because the only ones I’ve seen have been wider for sure

14. Genius

Genius Captain

How did they make them wider? Was there another mold or did they do it after the layup?

15. fiberglass pete

fiberglass pete Member

I've got a 95 not wider has wet keel no drop skeg yet

16. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
  17. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    11’6” beam, just like the original Bruno 35. My hull was layed up in 1999.

18. jon3030

jon3030 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35' Five Islands
    It’s possibke you saw my boat then because it appeared wider because the wash rails were cut by the previous owner to allow for cockpit space. He trimmed probably 3 inches off each side.