2007 28' Northern Bay Cruiser , Opinion?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by RyeLee, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RyeLee

RyeLee New Member

Hi All,

Have been looking through the form for some time, just love boats in general. Don't have much to contribute in terms of Downeast, mechanical or boat building know how. But this site is way better than hull-truth and more down to earth...Thanks!

Anyways, I've been in the market and am looking for a Downeast. Something between 28'-30'. I have always had a center console and will be keeping my current. I will be using the future Downeast mostly for light offshore fishing, fall bassing and some camping-overnight trips at anchor (block island for the weekend etc).

I know everyone has their preference regarding boat builders etc...But I am just looking for a little honest feedback regarding this boat. 2007 Northern Bay Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Does anyone have any experience with the Northern Bay 28'? It's exactly what I am looking for, price range, size, etc. Again just looking for feedback, not a tire kicker to be quite honest just looking for a little further education before I make the call and drive up.

Thanks again!
    -Rye

BOSBoatMan likes this.
  2. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
    I don't think you will get one negative comment about that boat on this forum.
    My opinion..........................GRAB IT !!!!!!

RyeLee likes this.
  3. fortier256

fortier256 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Very nice boat. Hard to find a boat that size / condition / price range. Grab it before someone else does.

RyeLee likes this.
  4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Nice boat! If you would like someone to take a closer look, like a pre-survey inspection, let me know. You can call or email to discuss my rate.

RyeLee likes this.
  5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 36 and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    I had a 28 Wayne Beal which I think this is the same hull as the now Northern Bay 28. All I can say is that it was a great boat for it's size. I had a 300 HP Cat in mine and she topped out at just under 30 knots. The only draw back about the boat with that much power is that it lacks the waterline length to carry the speed through the ocean seas. In the bay it was fine to run fast but outside we would have to back down to 16-18 knots put the hull back in the water so she would not pound. Just like many of the downeast boats it is a great ride.

Attached Files:

RyeLee and fortier256 like this.
  6. Hallelujah Newman 36

Hallelujah Newman 36 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Jarvis Newman 36
    Looks like a great boat. Low hours and seems to be well maintained. If it it's what you want I would get in the car. I live near where the add indicates where the boat is kept. The pictures of it in the water look like it might be at Great Bay marina. Good luck a good survey will confirm a decision. Looks great

RyeLee likes this.
  7. c1steve

c1steve Member

Can a boat like that be trailered and launched very well?

8. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    You would be Crazy to trailer a boat that big ;)

Attached Files:

9. powderpro

powderpro Captain

You need the right truck, trailer, and ramp. But yes, it can be done.

10. fortier256

fortier256 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    I remember seeing that boat in Wickford/ Narragansett Bay. Cool boat.

Blitzen likes this.
  11. jdickau484

jdickau484 Senior Member

This 28 was finished by SE Newman. my father also has a 28 NB finished by Newman. Great builder and knew how to get those yanmars under the deck of the 28's. ours is powered by a 4 cylinder yanmar 240 hp. does about 22 knots and cruises 17 knots. Nice running boat.

Here's another beaut NB finished by Newman.

Northern Bay 38 Flybridge For Sale

NB28.jpg NB281.jpg

ErikT, Eastporter and RyeLee like this.
  12. BOSBoatMan

BOSBoatMan Captain

Boat Make:
    1992 Nauset Bridgedeck Sportfish with Cummins 6BTA & 2013 Carolina Skiff J12 25 Yamaha 2S
    There is another one with a Newman finish at Port Norfolk Yacht Club on the Neponset River just south of Boston. Green gelcoat. Gorgeous fit and finish.

Get that one and don't look back.

13. RyeLee

RyeLee New Member

Thanks for all the honest input! I reached out to the broker yesterday (wish it was the owner). Anyways, will be speaking with the broker again today. Apparently, there is a lot of interest in the boat. I already got the OK from the lady, priced out a teak swim platform, jumping the gun a bit but well see where it goes. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted!

Thanks again!
    -Rye

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM
  14. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 Willis Beal
    RyeLee, That is an SE Newman build, great looking boat. Just a heads up though. That boat looks very similar to another SE Newman 28 footer "Elizabeth J". She had a green hull with a 370 Yanmar for power. Last I heard the Elizabeth J sunk at the dock. Not saying this is the same boat repainted, just be careful and look into it. I have pictures of the Elizabeth J if you are curious, I can send to you.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    RyeLee likes this.
  15. c1steve

c1steve Member

You could inspect the electrical terminals on the boat. If it sunk there would usually be green corrosion at the terminals, or they would have been replaced with new terminals.

16. Henfruit

Henfruit Senior Member

Depends on which state I am in.
    Boat Make:
    Samson 30
    Capt Rick was that boat in NJ?

17. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 Willis Beal
    The boat was at Stephens boat shop when I saw it up in Campobello Island.

18. leaky

leaky Captain

I don't know a thing about this hull, sounds like a good hull based on the direct feedback you are getting - based on the speed it sounds like a good hull too (if you like something that can move, lots of other downeasts don't have a prayer of reaching 32 knots with such reasonable HP especially so finished off)..

One thing I notice I really do not like is the fact it's got lifting rails and trim tabs. Many downeasts have neither. Based on the advertised speed it doesn't sound like it's overloaded but otherwise that'd be a sign it was - you may want to find the answer as to whether this is normal on this hull & why. It is more common on boats this size and smaller. Lots of boats do have lifting rails. Myself I would prefer a downeast needed neither of those appendages.

It looks truly mint - if it is as it looks, and was built to be high end and last a long time, then the 125K is probably the top dollar a top end 10 year old 28 foot downeast deserves, it appears very well finished off & equipped. If upon close inspection you find it's not truly mint then it's probably not worth the 125K. If you start finding signs of core in the deck or top getting damp here and there, maintenance things which will be costly and are going to pop up in the near future, questions on the engine/maintenance etc.. etc.. it doesn't mean you run or it's a bad boat, but then it shouldn't be commanding that price. You will find many fairly late downeasts in this size range for that price range or less, and for 125K this one is going to continue to depreciate fairly quickly for awhile. JMHO

Jon

RyeLee likes this.
  19. breakaway

breakaway Senior Member

'Myself I would prefer a downeast needed neither of those appendages."

Jon,
    What is that statement based off? Both features add benefits to the hulls for fuel and efficiency and help in different sea conditions also adding speed. Which hulls are you referring to that don't have either built in the last 15 years, as it seems 90% of builders are adding rails at least or both these days ?
    Perhaps a topic for its own thread. Very curious peoples opinions. It seems to me as engines gain in hp so does the need for modifications to these hulls. If we are talking 12-15 kt boats of yesteryear than one might agree. A new 36-43 with 600-1200 hp I would think these features can only help.

RyeLee likes this.
  20. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician