2007 28' Northern Bay Cruiser , Opinion?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by RyeLee, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 36 and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    On my 28 I had rails but also wished it had tabs. Not because it needed the bow to come down but because they are very beneficial when you want to control list. I always found that we were moving coolers and people about the boat to keep her level.

RyeLee likes this.
  2. leaky

leaky Captain

I don't want to derail the thread, but the lifting rails cause problems at the dock and when working in the boat, they catch things (lobster gear for sure, but fishing lines too, anything you bring up from under) - especially the type on this hull which are not at all obscured by the hull, they stick out on the sides and extra few inches. I've seen lifting rails ripped off a few boats, cracked up, etc.. etc.. being able to lean on the dock and maneuver the bow out is more important in these single engine boats - absolutely you can use bumpers and you should anyway, but sooner or later as we all know a bumper finds a way to squeeze out at the wrong time and with a lifting rail instead of a scratch on the hull you got an actual repair that might not be able to wait.

I fish with rod & reel - trim tabs are terrible for it. Lines rub on sharp appendages. With tuna it's the worst, just about every fish makes part of the pattern of their death circle under the boat, if things go a little far they may rub on the transom, sometimes during the initial run this just happens nothing you can do - not an issue if you have a smooth transom. It's better to let them get under the boat a bit and keep them in the pattern versus having to run away, no trim tabs no problem, trim tabs is a problem as it makes the back of your boat like a saw.

So absolutely I'd want neither, maybe the OP does not care, but he should be aware of the fact it's got them and it's at least a little unusual.

Jon

RyeLee likes this.
  3. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    thousands of lobsterman fish with lifting rails and trim tabs with no issue. I started a thread about this. They are very common.
    If people are getting them snagged at the dock the should buy bumpers (fenders to some), or learn how to operate there boat.l

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    BOSBoatMan and RyeLee like this.
  4. breakaway

breakaway Senior Member

If we are talking just giant fishing as the sole use of the boat I still cannot see your point. If you are on a psyco fish that you can't control and he darts under the boat then he is likely to catch on the running gear, keel or something anyway. How about a 150 mile run to hydro's canyon? I sure would like that fuel economy. Like every DE Hull, everything is a trade off. What's good for you may not be for others and vice versa.

Pat M likes this.
  5. leaky

leaky Captain

You can rub on a round bilge boat without parting the line, even on the keel etc.. etc.. It's the metal objects you gotta worry about, rudder & prop, fittings, screws you may catch on the rub rail, trim tabs. Yes you avoid it but usually you get away with it.

It's textbook for a fish to be making circles up shallow just out of dart range behind the boat, then they go down under the boat and a bit under your transom. That's the classic death circle I see, drives you crazy since you can see them but the only shot you get is 30 feet away, then they go back down, but provided they keep doing that there is a very low chance of anything going wrong and eventually the circle gets tight and you get a shot...

When that is going on you can pull forward to keep them from getting under the boat at all, but that breaks the pattern and tends to make the fish roll or change what it's doing, more of a risk than benefit as you basically got them at that point. A trim tab sticking out 12 inches means now instead of just worrying about the running gear, which is very well under the boat, you gotta make sure there is no way for the line to catch the tab - which is what's gonna be a problem first if the fish is actually down 30 feet under the boat. After going through this with and without tabs, my experience is tabs are a big negative.

Even setting baits they are a pain - your live bait darts around and rubs the leader on the gnarly metal object, even striper fishing if you ask me, a fishing boat is better without them. Ideally you have nothing back there other than smooth transom, no flappers, no tabs, no zincs, with the screws holding the rubrail countersunk such that nothing can catch.

Absolutely - if you value the extra control on a cruise over fish-ability, then at least as far as the trim tabs are concerned they would be more positive than negative. The OP asked what we thought - I doubt I'm the only person that looks at these features and goes "yuck" :)

Jon

6. Beamie

Beamie Senior Member

Looking at the pics of that NB it really looks like the deck is raised quite a bit, not sure where this hits you on the leg. Above, on or below the knee. Good for a dry cockpit wrt scuppers and water but I like a deeper feel on the leg.......

RyeLee likes this.
  7. RyeLee

RyeLee New Member

Thanks for all the replies and feedback, much appreciated! Came up short and missed out on the buy, sale pending as we speak...had a buddy who lives in VT drive over and check her out for me as well, awesome boat (low gunnels he said though, came to his knees). But all good, I am keeping my options open and am still in the market for a DE boat. Love the 2015 28 T Jason that's for sale on this site https://downeastboatforum.com/threads/2015-28-t-jason-launched-2016.21461/.....exactly what I want and right price range and located on the Island. I just can't cope with the engine box taking up that much space. I really want a flush deck in the cockpit and I know I know its a DE and it's very common (not sure if they can raise the cockpit floor and roof on this small of a DE, have followed a few threads where this was done on larger DE boats). But I will hold out until I find the right boat...Anyways the hunt is on and if anyone sees anything that pops up, please shoot me a message!

Thanks again!
    -Rye

8. leaky

leaky Captain

The biggest problem in raising the deck and pilot house (say if you did a step so only impacted the pilot-house area) is it starts making the boat look real goofy. It also does cost $$ and raises the center of gravity.

Now I'm not a form over function guy either, but you can pick them out when you look around at downeasts - there is something that looks glaringly wrong when the amount of structure above and below the rail is out of wack, generally downeasts actually look better if you could cut the roof down.

Most of the skeg built downeasts are going to have an engine box, it's a function of the keel being more narrow so you can't get the engine as low. The bigger the engine the less likely you get away without a box. You may want to look at AJ 28's, which is a built down based on a 26 duffy where I believe he gets the engine under the deck, or another idea would be to go to a slightly larger boat (I don't at all have a hard on for duffy's but the 31 comes to mind)..

I guess another thing to look at would be even something like a 32 Holland, a fairly narrow 32 that is more like a stretched 28 - they all got engine boxes, however a standard setup is the engine splits the bulkhead in those boats - so you have like 2 feet of engine in the pilot house and 2 feet of engine in the cabin, does not end up feeling like there's much of a box there on either side.

Jon

RyeLee likes this.
  9. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    IMG_20171102_144837.jpg IMG_20171102_144817.jpg
    With some creativity an engine box can be useful.

RyeLee likes this.
  10. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    Nauset 28, 6" step up into the house, No Box

Attached Files:

RyeLee, Blitzen and Genius like this.
  11. ARC

ARC Member

I recently purchased my 31’ . It is my first Downeaster. I have owned over 40 boats in my life from 13 Whaler to 41’ Hatt.
    My 31’ Eastern is Just great.

ARC,
    jsakovits and RyeLee like this.
  12. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Carolina Classic
    You probably didn’t see this one. Surely would be very fast.

2008 Hutchinson Downeast Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

RyeLee and Genius like this.
  13. Henfruit

Henfruit Senior Member

Depends on which state I am in.
    Boat Make:
    Samson 30
    My 30 novi style is flush deck

RyeLee likes this.