22' eastern sisu

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Joeharley, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Joeharley

Joeharley Member

the boat handles the rough seas very well . I am not familiar with long island sound . I am from Boston area . its a great fishing boat ! The following sea is the only con I have so far

2. Joeharley

Joeharley Member

Dan I just notice your anchor light is raised did you do that or your dealer ?

3. Pinsky03

Pinsky03 New Member

Thanks, what DE hull does well in a following sea? A skeg keel?

4. Hallelujah Newman 36

Hallelujah Newman 36 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Jarvis Newman 36
    I like your boat. I think I saw you at Cundy's Harbor the last summer. We tried to get in there in late June for some lobsters but there was not enough room at th dock. Enjoy

5. rich

rich Member

Capacity Plates are only required on boats 20 ft and under-Federal Law.

Take the weight of the boat gear ect. divide by 20. That will give you the average HP the boat can handle

If you want more performance and speed divide the weight by 15. That should give you the max HP for the boat. Anywhere in between those two numbers should be fine. This info was published in Boating magazine about 2 years ago. You may be able to fine the article on line. I don't remember what month it was published

I have an old 1982 Seaway 19 with a two cycle 90 HP. Runs well with the 90 HP.

115 HP on that boat seems a bit light to me. It may bog down with four people on board

rich,
  6. DBthal

DBthal Senior Member

Joe,

I replaced the original short anchor light with a Hella brand when I installed the radar. Needed to allow a 360 degree light that was not blocked.

Dan

7. DBthal

DBthal Senior Member

HN36,

Yes - the photo I posted at the beginning of this thread was taken at Holbrooks in Cundy's Harbor.

You have really got a beautiful boat!

Dan

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Hallelujah Newman 36 likes this.
  8. DBthal

DBthal Senior Member

Joe,

I agree. Steep, short period following seas can be tough. Especially if you're in a "minefield" of lobster pots. Don't want to hang up on pot warp with a following sea.

In these conditions I slow down, take my time and let the waves roll past under the hull. I also trim down so the prop doesn't cavitate.

Dan

9. bloodydeck

bloodydeck New Member

Boat Make:
    22' eastern
    I run an 88 eastern lobster top with an 115 2 stroke optimax I installed in 2005. the original merc 115 from the factory was flawless but I just didn't trust it any more, and it was a fuel pig. the only drawback with the new power is when the boat is loaded with 4 ppl the scuppers are under water a bit so o plug them. with that being said that boat has been rode hard and put away wet for years and I have no complaints. I lobstered for 10 years with it. she's no speed demon but very comfy in most any sea except following at 16 to 18 kts 4000 rpm. that girl has brought me home a few times safe in the real nastys with green water half way up the windows. just dial it back and and call mother to hold dinner !