22 Tripp Cuddy HP?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by xbskt, Jan 13, 2018.

1. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Considering a repower on a Tripp 22 cuddy.
    What HP would be a good fit in a Yamaha 4 stroke.
    I don't need it to walk on water but don't want a dog either.
    Mostly short runs and beach trips for the ever growing family.
    Any input appreciated.

2. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

150 would probably get it done but I would look closely at the 200. That's assuming its rated that high. I spend a lot of time in my buddies 22 whaler, and while it's a different animal for sure, his 225 works very well on it.

3. novivin

novivin Senior Member

200 will walk you on water and quickly wear out the Tripp transom, unless you do a Schwarzenegger rebuild first. I had a 90 Yamaha on a Novi 22 that has a full pilot house. It did 14 at 80%load 4000 of 5000 RPM at Wot with all gear full fuel and family of 4. I repowered with a 115 Yamaha and cruise 16-16.5 easy at 70%load 4200 of 6000 RPM @ wot. Every 100 rpm added after that speed adds a full knot of speed on my boat. 15 pitch prop. A 150 might be overkill. Much heavier motor too. Might set your scuppers under. Unless you want to do any tow sports and get a 200lb plus man up on water skis. Then the 150 would potentially be a better choice. I have round chines and 8' beam midship. For what this is worth to you... The Tripp is close to my boat in hull design and shape, but slightly bigger displacement in water I feel. Depends on what you want to do with it really. I don't waterski.

4. WetDogz

WetDogz Member

Hi Jeff,
    I bought a 22' cuddy with a Yamaha F150 late this past summer. In the limited time I used it the boat performed great. 20 -22kts. at 3800k, scuppers never under (4 onboard). Fuel economy was suprising, but I'm new to 4strokes. The knowledgable folks at the yard that sold me the boat explained that normally on a boat of this size the would use 200hp, but the Tripp hull was so easily driven that 150 was enough. The dolefin pops her out quite fast, but at speed with engine trimmed up she's a mite tippy. Tabs might be better. She'll be in Polpis this spring if you can wait that long for a test drive .
    Doug B.

5. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    From a buddy who has one

“I have 150hp and i cruise at 22 knots (4000 rpm). Max speed is around 26/7 knots. It's transom mounted. Strangely, My buddy has the same configuration but his boat is slower by a few knots. His is a 72' And mine is a 91'. I think the best hp is probably 175. Cruise still would be 22 but engine wouldn't work as hard and maybe you get a knot on the top end. Trim tabs are a plus.”

6. kcassells

kcassells Senior Member

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    This time Sportcraft 222 w/225 OB Johnson..wishing for a DE
    225 should do the job. probably maxed out. Mine, not a de but 222 long maxes on a 225 hp. Should be a metal stamp on da boat that say max hp.
    Definitely trim tabs. Better yet a transom bracket some day. As far as the transom goes should max that @ 2.5". Won't fit after that unless you do mods. Look at the engine transom specs in general for a 225 hp transom.
    Yup and I'm adding a full wheelhouse.

7. novivin

novivin Senior Member

I quote due to the "quite tippy" comment. I would take that ride or contact Tripp's in Westport before purchasing an engine. They still build these and know a lot about the old ones they built. 150 is probably no means overkill, but 175 might be, in 4 stroke...

8. leaky

leaky Captain

Assuming you are sold on Yami 4 stroke and nothing else, a good thing to do is familiarize yourself with how Yami runs their product line. Just like inboards you usually get so many HP models out of a given powerhead and lower unit, at the same exact weight, and that might make your decision real easy.

Looks like in Yami if you are thinking 150 to 200 HP and want light/compact that's exactly the inline 4, which is 480 lbs or so. This may be the no brainer based on the feedback you just got - the 200 HP isn't going to weigh you down at all versus 150 HP in the Yami lineup if you go this way. The next smallest block only goes to 115, so that's the cutoff for any weight savings - down to 115 HP or jump up to 150 - 200 HP.

They then make a 200 HP model in a V6 that weighs in at about 600 lbs., seems to be more of a heavier duty model.

Then they have a bigger block going from 225 to 300 HP at 560 lbs (how it ends up weighing less than the smaller 200 HP block not sure but whatever the case that's the lineup).

Jon

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  9. rich

rich Member

Take the weight of the boat and divide by 20. That will put you close to the HP you need
    If you want additional speed divide by 15. You may want to fall somewhere in between those two numbers. These calculations were published a few years ago in Boating Magazine.

One word of advice. I own an old SeaWay-1982. Boat transoms from that era weren't made for the weight of 4 strokes. I have an old 2 cycle 90HP on mine. It weights 249 lbs. Current 4 Strokes(90-HP) run 360 lbs plus. Too much weight for the transom and the scuppers would be under water.

rich,
  10. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    All good input guys. Thanks. Yamaha is king where I live and any other brand would be less easy for service.
    I have had great success with a recent repower of the 13 whaler with a 40 Yamaha 4 stroke and a transom insert.
    The thing goes like a scalded cat but does sit low in the rear due to weight so I understand those issues.
    A good condition 2 stroke for weight savings is an option but in 2018 I feel the ease my kids would get and the lack of fumes for my grandkids is worth the effort.
    On a budget rehab (if the right Tripp comes along) a two stroke would not be out of the question.
    Transom issues will be taken into account.
    I am thinking an F150 would do the job in 4 stroke with 200 being overkill for my use.
    Two stroke? Who knows.
    Thanks again,
    Jeff

11. leaky

leaky Captain

Usually with a 2-stroke you need a little less HP to make it feel the same, no real performance difference they just pull you out of the hole better. If you really just want it to go OK and weight is the #1 concern, you can get down to ~380 lbs with a yami 115 HP but I don't think I'd be going there.

New 2-strokes do not really smell at all but they wouldn't shave a whole lot of weight either - my opti 150's weigh ~450 lbs. A new E Tec 150 high output (the lightest version) weighs in at 420. I like the story of the mercury SeaPro "commercial outboard", which is a 4-stroke inline 4 that comes in a 150 at 450 lbs...

When I'm done building the holland I'm going to upgrade my CC skiff, get to a trailer boat in the low 20 ft range that can get out in the open water a little, maybe a pacific aluminum, and I will be having this debate of going to the dark side for a SeaPro 4 stroke, the devil I know - mercury optimax, or going to the evinrude E Tec this time.

Provided it is not overloading the boat and putting scuppers under, nobody ever complains they have "too much power", I think it's good to max out whatever the plate says. However if kids are going to operate it then I might be concerned. My 16 ft skiff has a 110 HP on it (changed stickers to make it an 85 HP to match the hull, not sure what the law really is) - for me it's great because I can plane out instantly and skip along at 40 whether I got 3 big guys on board or just me, but it's not a boat for a teenager to operate as they would be likely to destroy the boat or operate it dangerously.

Jon

12. Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker Member

My buddy has an 80's, 22' Sisu Bass boat with a that he re-powered with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on a stainless bracket. Here are his numbers: 3,600 = 15 MPH. 4,000 = 18 MPH. 4,300 = 20 MPH. 5,200 = 25 MPH. Never went over 5,200. I think just him and his wife aboard.

13. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I think those numbers would be my minimums so 150 is looking like the sweet spot.
    Leaky, my flat bottom 16 ft Dory has an old 25 Suzuki and skips right along. 110 HP on a skiff? You head to the races on the weekend?
    :D

14. leaky

leaky Captain

Ya I wanted a OMC V4 of some sort, the old ones, mostly due to the profile which was going to work well for what I wanted (close the transom off with a short setback bracket while allowing the engine to still be trimmed).. Kinda like what I'm saying in your case, anything from 85 to 140 HP all are the same weight with those older ones and what dropped in my lap happened to be a 110 HP so that's what I used. Of course I added some re-enforcement to make this work too.

Funny thing is it's not all that fast, is built on a 1973 aluminum starcraft holiday, which has rivots and strakes and all sorts of drag on the bottom, is fairly heavy for an aluminum boat with 25 gallons fuel sub deck, 3 batteries, a little more structure than they might normally have - still very light but not stupid light like some of them can be. It had a 50 HP and did 30 MPH on it's best day, but as you loaded it up with fuel and a few guys, add in a current or some wind, and it would barely plane and would not go over 20 MPH. Now if I have enough space and calm water I might be able to see 50 MPH by myself low on fuel while tinkering with the hydraulic jack plate, but generally it does 40-45 MPH all day and gets there with incredible acceleration, no matter who is in the boat - somewhere around that 45 MPH mark all the drag just catches up with it. 30 MPH is like 3000 RPM though, just skipping along barely working.

It is very fun - little surfboard with the engine jacked up and prop chopping the surface, high pitch wining roar of an old 2 stroke. I'll do the same thing when I upgrade to a bigger skiff, put stupid power on it, really does not hurt one bit.

Jon

15. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

One last comment; if your concerned about the scuppers, in the past I have "sandbagged" the current motor up to the weight of the proposed power. Then you can see where it sits in the water (at rest). Some say have guys stand in the back, but its best to actually have the weight hanging behind the transom to be accurate. Best of luck on your project............
    Monte