Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Frontier, Jun 14, 2017.
How it sat when I went to look at it
Beginning of teardown
Good luck with your project. Looking forward to following your progress.
Subscribed. Is that a clean out plate in in front of the rudder?
Nice! Best of luck with the project, and congrats.
Good luck with your project! It's nice to see that Joe Boat is still moving things around.
Go for it - good luck!
Last I heard he sold most of the equipment and is going into the canvas business.
Yes, that is a clean out.
I really like following these "project" boats. Brings back memories...
What is your "to do list" for the whole boat ????
Stern cap, was completely covered in 10+ layers of house paint
The boat went under at some point and assume its been sitting since.I'm going in stages, starting with cap and gunnels. I've removed the rails, sanding it down to gel coat, fill in all the hatches and holes. I have already cut out the built in lobster boxes on each side. The cap in bow starboard side popped up, so I need to pull that back into place. The stern had some funky cutout, then a bad repair job, I'll post some pics shortly, and get some thoughts how to correct it.
The floor will be cut out, at which point I'll remove the 350 MPI FWC, and get into condition of the thru hulls, shaft and tube and go from there.
What's nice about this GM is how modular the pieces are, and aside from the deck everything seems to be cored with Divinylcell.
I got an hr in before the rain. A crimped wire wheel on grinder then 120 grit with the DA worked well
Here is the cut out that needs to be re-repaired
Got some work done on the gunnels, more derigging and removed rub rails from the back half. Doesn't look like much, but a lot of effort into it
You'll have yourself a great little DE when you are done.
I did same as you are doing now with a 1989 25 T Jason
Bill D's 25 T Jason rehab/repower project
Thanks Bill, I read through your rebuild thread several times, a top notch project for sure.
After both sides are ground down, I'll be pulling the floors. Looking forward to see what's happening down there
Progress report required....please.
Sorry for the lack of reports. Ive sanded most of the gunnels, and working on filling the rails and repairing the stern cap. I removed the rub rails and reseated the cap in the bow. Cleared out the cabin.
Next up will be cutting the floor and pulling the old 5.7