32 Holland new build getting started soon

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by leaky, Apr 8, 2016.

1. MikesMarine22

MikesMarine22 Senior Member

Marine Mechanic
    Boat Make:
    Holland 14, Hiliner 21, Hatteras 41
    My wife- " You can bring home as many boats as you want but if you bring home another girl it's over!"

PBianculli likes this.
  2. leaky

leaky Captain

Next Gen 3.5 kw - very tiny little things, 160 lbs. Single cylinder Kabota and basically standard off the shelf parts bolted together, sold and warrantied by next gen but as far as I know not much if anything at all is actually made by the vendor.

Are basically the smallest & lightest thing on the market for a real marine generator - not super heavy duty, you change out the < 1 quart of oil every 50 hours :), but they seem to be reasonably reliable, efficient, quiet etc.. etc... Perfect for my Holland.

Jon

3. scupper1

scupper1 Senior Member

Now that you are single, do you need a head? Lol

restless likes this.
  4. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    little by little

5. leaky

leaky Captain

Haha well a few things - usually single is actually worse because it goes from "girl" to "girls" :)..

But I can't tell you how many times I've shit in a bucket, or in a trash bag draped over a porto-potti or non working flush head, I'm tired of that.. and it sure is nice when you gotta take a piss in the harbor to be able to go down below.

I'll admit putting a shower in there is a little over the top, and a giant pain on the complexity scale, but the huge benefit is they are a time saver - go out fishing for a couple days and you can step off the boat and head right into work or for a night out, even if you are on a mooring.

6. leaky

leaky Captain

In between fishing a lot lately, and getting settled into the new place in the middle of last month, I got the inside of the shoebox glassed back past the steering bulkhead.

Next I moved onto the steering bulkhead, which needs to be completed as it does not extend out to the side of the hull. Have a couple parts cutout, glassed over corecell like the other such parts, which will be tabbed onto the steering bulkhead one one side, hull on the other, to complete the bulkhead.

During this stage, I'm taking care of something that has been irking me for awhile - when they put the steering bulkead in they glassed over the fairly thick gelcoat that is on the exterior side of the molded part, which is how it is tabbed into the hull aft (on the forward side within the cabin there is no gelcoat), and also the part is made in two pieces which are similarly glassed together over the gelcoat, and the stringers were toed in the same way... Maybe it does not matter but I'm not a huge fan of the practice of glassing over gelcoat for something that is at least semi structural. Initially when I toed my stringer extrusions in I followed their lead as well. Currently I'm stripping back that tabbing and the gelcoat, a very nasty job, but I'm about done with the stripping on both sides now - then will be time for normal prepwork, a cleanup and putting these parts in as well as laying down sound tabbing from the steering bulkhead to the hull & stringers.

alien.jpeg

steeringBulkPrep.jpeg

El Mar and Toolate like this.
  7. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    back to the project ! Nice