A little bit of how-to on servicing Penn International 130's

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by leaky, Mar 7, 2017.

1. VCF

VCF Senior Member

I think Penn Internationals are still one of the best big game reels out there. And like Jon said one of the best supported as well and alway changing for the better. There is a 6th generation that will hit the market soon and be lighter and stronger then the 5th generation. As long as they keep getting better I will keep buying them.

VCF,
  2. leaky

leaky Captain

Looking forward to seeing it, wasn't able to find any hype on the subject when I looked into it before.

The only thing I'd like to see out of the 130VSX's today is for them to make the spool a little bigger (not wider preferably deeper) or offer an unlimited or larger version like Everol does.

I doubt that will happen in the world where everyone likes to run braid, if anything the reels are getting smaller, but we still spool with a long mono topshot and I'd much rather use Dacron for backing versus braid - it's just not possible though to get that 600 yards of backing on there along with the topshot without braid.

Jon

3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Jon, what are you calling "long" for your topshot ?

4. leaky

leaky Captain

I like to start with 200 yards. What's nice about that is Even after cutting back a few times you can usually do all your fishing with the backing on spool, and after fighting a fish for a little bit similarly the splice is back on the reel.

Running 150 lb Jinkai like we've been doing the last few years makes it easier to fit but you aren't gonna get that 700+ yards I like, so what I do now is start with 600 yards of 200# hollow spectra.

Jon

5. VCF

VCF Senior Member

Jon, You could run 100 yards of top shot and put more backing on the reel, that would give you plenty of line. With the monster drags on the VSX there aren't many fish that won't stop. And from what I am hearing the new generation will be smaller, lighter and have more drag power.

VCF,
  6. leaky

leaky Captain

The limitation isn't the drag, we only set the drags at 35 lbs on strike, it's the leader and hook. We fish 150 lb leader, down to 130 at times, and use some fairly light hooks, you really shouldn't far exceed 40 lbs of drag with that setup. Sure we could run heavier terminal tackle but we think it helps get the bites with bluefin, which is a fairly smart fish with big eyes and mostly an anchored-up live bait fishing game the way we do it.

Smaller doesn't sound good to me, I hope not. I get enough line on a VSX w/ the spectra (ie 800 yards anyway, 600 backing 200 topshot), I just wish they were a little bigger since then I could fit enough Dacron on there instead. Dacron just wears and handles better, is easier to splice, something you don't mind putting your hands on if you want to fist it, etc.. etc..

The trouble with 100 yards of topshot is one bait might be 150 feet down, set 100 feet behind the boat - say 80+ yards right there. Cut that topshot back once and you may already be at a point where the braid is off the spool while you are fishing, which is bad because it's then subject to getting worn - that's a huge problem with spectra, and dacron is only a little better - mono is king for abrasion resistance.

We end up cutting back alot - only fishing 2 guys total on the boat and prioritizing getting the bite over everything else, sometimes we wakeup from a nap to lines running forward with the tide, chaffed up on the boat, sometimes when we hookup the fish goes the wrong way and we end up cutting off 2 or 3 lines so that they don't inevitably make it into the prop or get tangled on the line w/ the fish, etc... etc.. It's just alot easier when you can spare 50 yards of topshot a couple times and can keep fishing.

Jon

7. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Last two things I want on my reels are Dacron and mono for BF. Dacron takes up to much room on the reel to get any yardage and it rots. Mono is like a flashlight under water. I use a JB Hollow Core and I fill the reel with a shit load of line so even using the lightest leaders you won't get spooled on a 130. It's pretty bullet proof stuff and has never worn out on me. I can get a season out of it no problem. I splice a 100 yard top shot of Fluorocarbon into that. I check it often for nicks and abrasions and change out the top shot when anything looks or feels funky. If I am at the point where I'm cutting back top shot then its time to replace. I purchase Fluorocarbon by the skein, it's much less expensive purchasing by the skein and well worth it. I cut the entire skein into 100 yard clips and keep them ready to go should I need to replace. I connect my leader of choice with a power swivel and its that simple. If your fishing shallow water and the fish are no so shy maybe you don't need all that line but its nice to have on the reel.

8. leaky

leaky Captain

That's funny, I feel the last thing I want in the water is spectra, I use it to get capacity and that's it (200 lb JB).

What flouro can you buy by the skein, how big is the skein, and what's it go for?

God that sounds expensive when things go wrong and you lose 300 yards of flouro, but maybe the stuff is so cheap that way it doesn't matter.

I think smoke Jinkai is pretty discreet stuff but I get the possibility of mono being well visible under the water, spectra is completely visible too though - thinner but it doesn't blend into it's surroundings at all.
    If I had flouro I was comfortable with that was cheap enough I'd be tempted to just keep the setup the same and run longer leaders, today we run 30's, maybe something like 60 ft. At some point no matter what is easier for the fish to see on the mainline, the baits going to be far enough away it's the leader that matters most.

On that note, on my striper gear I now run flouro mainline, the sort that is meant to be used as mainline, don't know what good it does but certainly hasn't hurt and fishes nice. I haven't seen anyone advertising 130+ lb test in those lines but haven't looked either, that might be the next hot setup.

Jon

9. VCF

VCF Senior Member

How long of a leader do you fish? And how many 100 yd coils do you get form a skein?

VCF,
  10. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    My leaders are 11 feet long. Those 100 yard coils you see hanging for 95 bucks, by the skein turns into 44 bucks and sometimes a but cheaper.

11. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    The way I look it, its more expensive to not get a bite. Shit does go wrong but if your getting bit, never as painful. That JB 200 is tough stuff.

12. VCF

VCF Senior Member

That is a great savings, how many coils do you usually get out of the skein.

VCF,
  13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Around 17 or 18 100 yard coils. Then I will take some lighter lb. test and cut that up into 11 foot coils and change out the leaders often. The hollow core does stand out under water but its 100 yards away from the bait.

14. leaky

leaky Captain

Ya I get that - the guys that run 10 foot leaders to the mono say the same thing to us about 30 footers, if it's down around $1 a yard that isn't bad.

I could forseeably just ditch the Jinkai and run 200 yards of flouro using your basic setup, crimp the same 30 foot leaders on, nothing there would change much other than the added cost and I'd have to get used to looking at amberish clear "mono" instead of smoke blue. One benefit of flouro is it's tougher stuff, mono is good but flouro trumps it in the abrasion department, so it may even last longer. Good info, thanks man.

I've done some playing around w/ spectra right to the leader based on a highliner that was doing it, does have some merit, you can run less weight, but 3 times I've lost a fish 3 different ways due to spectra failures. That's one reason why I don't like the stuff, that and tangles, blowing in the wind, cutting through elastics, but you probably don't need to do any of that w/ 100 yards of flouro.. Last season actually we were playing around with it again due to the "flashlight" effect of mono, vowed we would be careful with that reel, we weren't - rubbed on the boat when used as a down rod, caught sharks, then hooked a fish on a stickbait w/ 2 feet of wiire and a 9/0 jobu, fish would've been doomed and had a mystery spectra breakoff. Stuff got stripped off that day.

Jon

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  15. ForTUNAte Son

ForTUNAte Son Member

Need opinions/help...I’ve got my 130 with some sticky drag apart. This may sound stupid, but all seemed in good order until fighting a fish at strike. (35 lbs) The line would peel off in short bursts, build pressure on the rod, then pull another rotation of line off the spool. We had to pull out on the drag by hand to keep even pressure on it. Any idea what would cause that? How do you know if it’s time to replace plates, washers, bearings etc? Anything look out of place here? Also, any idea what size bearing is needed? 4 on total correct?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  16. leaky

leaky Captain

No mystery there - that drag looks very dirty to me - all that black stuff on the plate is drag particulate mixed up with grease and/or moisture.

Also, even on the fiber side, you can see how the pattern of the fiber is smoothed over with the material that is floating around in there.

Get all those parts clean, thin film of cal's drag grease, and the problem should go away.

Since it all strikes me as fairly dirty, you may want to start with dish soap and hot water, make sure to rinse all the soap out and let it dry, then use a mild solvent that dries quickly, then grease & assemble.

If the fiber is still complete no need for replacement. They take 6 bearings all the same on the older 130's, you can pull the numbers right off the bearing and cross them, on the VSX's they have 4 that are the same then another 2 of a different style, no idea on the VIS as I haven't put my hands on one yet.

Jon

ForTUNAte Son likes this.
  17. ForTUNAte Son

ForTUNAte Son Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick response! Where do I apply the drag grease? As far as the fiber completeness goes, I’m just looking for some of the material left on each washer correct?

18. leaky

leaky Captain

Key thing with the drag grease is a *very thin* film, just wet them with it - do not put too much in there otherwise it does more harm than good.

I can't tell how bad your washers are worn by the pics because they are so smoothed over with loose material, but does appear the fiber part is intact so is most likely just fine.

Whatever the case your main problem will be solved by a thorough cleaning - the drag grease is actually optional but I think it helps.

19. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    FT Son, you can use SMT bearings. SSR10-DDHA1. Made in Japan and a bearing that is up to the task. As Leaky said most likely the drag washers or plate. a couple of things, make sure those drag plates are flat. And make sure everything is Clean. If you do all that and still have trouble check the bearings (2) under the handle. Those two are more vulnerable to spray and water intrusion. Even though they are sealed bearings on the outside one slather some grease on that one. And don't spray water under much pressure on them. just a light (fresh water) spray will do. I use a small 1 1/2 gallon pump sprayer/tree or plant sprayer. $15.00 at most hardware stores.

Oh BTW, you should check those every season along with the rest of the reel.

ForTUNAte Son likes this.
  20. ForTUNAte Son

ForTUNAte Son Member

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the info! I followed Leaky’s advice and cleaned the plate and washers, new grease and put back together. I’ll start there, rather than dropping $100 bucks on new drag washers. Hoping this is a nice free fix. Thanks again.