Anchoring question?

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by 30-06guy, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

That was
    I was wondering about the reliability of those hooks. It would suck to have one open up while you aren't paying attention . There seems to be a lot of guys useing them so I would assume that they are pretty reliable . I like the pin activated one that SemperFishBoston uses. Looks like it would be less likely to open on its own.

I also like the idea of running the painter line from the bow down the gunnel and trying it off at the cockpit and letting it run up the bow when it's untied .

Going up to the bow to reset shouldn't be to bad. The Steiger Crafts have a good sized spot to walk around the house and it has a high bow rail to grab onto once you are at the windshield. I have the open bow cocks so putting the painter line back in is fairly easy. No having to thread the eye of the needle in rough weather. Plus if it gets to snotty out I will be picking up and heading back to the dock. My boat is only a 24 foot with a 8'6" beam. I won't be pushing it with the weather, and pushing my luck.

I think that I will get a release hook to play with , and also play with the painter line tied off in the cockpit. Also I will stick with the floating poly line for the painter. Mr. Gaff made a good point about trying to fish around in the dark to try and pick up the line under the ball. Plus it will be one less line dangling down for the fish to wrap in.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge .

Rob

2. restless

restless Captain

Forget the hook if you're on a 24' boat. Run the line through the bow chock and run it along side the cabin to a cleat that you can reach easily. It will only take a few seconds to unwrap it from the cleat and let it run out. The less hardware the better. Dealing with a malfunctioning hook will turn into a clown act in a hurry.

30-06guy likes this.
  3. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

On an unrelated side note . I have been following your build thread and enjoy seeing the progress that you are making. I came down to look at the Seawolf that you had for sale and you were kind enough to show me your Holland and talk boats and fishing for a couple of hours when you should have been working on your boat. I look forward to seeing how it comes along on DEBF.

Rob

4. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

It's that clown show that I'm trying to avoid .

Rob

5. Thenthen

Thenthen Member

6. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Only thing in that article I'd disagree with is "everyone will hang the same way"

If its blowing 10-15kt quartering the current; you are in a CC, SF or express, trying to lay in a fleet with full keel DE's, pretty good chance you will end up crowding someone.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Cdux,
  7. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy
    I guess I should have said everyone will GENERALLY lay the same way.
    My point was if everyone is sitting on the SW corner with about the same scope, and someone comes in with 1000' of anchor line, he going to be right into someone on the tide change.