Attaching outboard bracket to transom

Discussion in '"Pocket" Downeast Boats (14-24ft)' started by jdickau484, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jdickau484

jdickau484 Senior Member

On Friday I got the 6 platform bolts drilled out and tightened up and I.T gave me a better idea of how the bracket would fit when tighten to the hull. Turned out the platform edges didn’t seem to be any issue at all but the main portion of the bracket had a decent gap. Which actually made the gap easier to fill, just built up the area with layers of glass and I.T did the trick. I appreciate the discussion and help along the way.

CD9A24D6-47E8-401A-AF1C-962675CC0B44.jpeg
    C21E7BBC-7D83-4B32-AE94-B3E5E9A955B5.jpeg
    CF8C7869-2CC0-4EEA-A479-6D7EAB328BE7.jpeg
    F9F1DAEC-36C5-41CB-A436-67A62BF54DED.jpeg

Toolate likes this.
  2. kcassells

kcassells Senior Member

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    This time Sportcraft 222 w/225 OB Johnson..wishing for a DE
    Nice result!

3. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I am still paranoid about the transom/deck/stringer connection on the inside of the boat. I think I would be thinking about a reinforcing brace from each stringer up through the deck to the transom. Like a triangle of coosa maybe 16”x16” glassed on top of each stringer and to the transom. Again “paranoid” is the word I use because it could be for nothing- hoping some one will comment.

This came out great! Nice works :)

4. kcassells

kcassells Senior Member

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    This time Sportcraft 222 w/225 OB Johnson..wishing for a DE
    yea it's the foam board that gets ya thinking in regards to compression and weight.
    I've never seen anyone bring knee braces up above the floor like that for add'l support though.
    My ten cents is on the new glass pad. I might even recommend calling the foam board mfg and or the transom bracket mfg with the set up build up/construction of the transom just for letting me get to sleep at night. Might even come under a warranty issue if there were problems down the line.
    Yup got me overthinking it. I've seen these done everyday {with an all wood transom} but the foam has me just wondering to much.

5. slowzuki

slowzuki Member

Boat Make:
    Rosborough RF-18
    I don't follow all the lingo but they hung a pair of 50 hp 4 strokes on the back of my RF-18 on an aluminum bracket. Glassed an extra sheet of 3/4" plywood to the transom inside and put 6 bolts through it with washers. I'm not really happy with it but its been like that for a long time and was run in rough water in Hudson Bay for years. Over time the washers have crushed the plywood to a degree. I would have liked to see a 3" wide x 1/4" strip of aluminum instead of the washers. This is what another boat I'd seen had and no crushing of the transom.