Auto pilot issues

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Lobster.mike, May 31, 2018.

1. Lobster.mike

Lobster.mike Senior Member

I recently re located my auto pilot unit and had to unplug it to do so. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work since then. It's a simrad/Robertson ap 11. The unit reads actuator failure and just steers hard over in any mode. Could use some help with this!

2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    There's an issue with the drive or the connections/leads to the drive; that unit running to a solenoid valve?

3. Lobster.mike

Yes. The unit is hooked up to a solenoid. The only thing we did was unplug the cable that runs to the head. Is it possible one of the 6 or 8 small wires is no longer making contact? I pulledthe cable off and checked that first but it seemed alright. Can check again

4. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    It would have nothing to do with the control he being unplugged.. the drive is connected to the J300 junction box. Really strange, but it wouldn't be related. I would double check the rudder reference unit actually, sometimes those units may fail or come loose and the system sees the rudder position somewhere far off to one side, and as a result the pilot will steer to correct, often hard over in one direction. The drive error code also could be if one of the solenoids is hung up, or one of the leads isn't making contact where it's unable to open up the other valve for the counter rudder turn. So check the RF300, then ring out the leads going to the JBox from the drive and test the solenoids on the actually pilot valve.

5. Lobster.mike

I'm on it. Appreciate your assistance. Will let you know. Not looking forward to hand steering for 8hr steam tomorrow
    Thanks again