Autopilot for simrad

Discussion in 'Precision Marine Center- Discount Electronics' started by chevy18717, Dec 26, 2016.

1. chevy18717

chevy18717 Member

Boat Make:
    BHM
    Looking to get an autopilot that's compatible with my nss12. Looking for advice on what I need for components.

2. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Give Chris at Precision Marine a call, he has all the knowledge to get you set up.

3. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Call (914) 235-4023 Ask for Chris his screen name is Wharf Rat on here also

4. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Your best bet, while they're still available, is to grab an AC12 pilot pack which comes with the rudder feedback, RC42 compass, basically everything needed but a control head. If you don't have a power assist/solenoid based steering system like a Hydro-Slave, and have something like a SeaStar/Hynautic style, you will need a reversible hydraulic pump, and in order to size both the pump AND possibly the higher current AC42 course computer/pack, although most diesel applicatons are absolutely fine with the lower capacity drive units. If you do have a 'closed' hydraulic system, get us a picture or model number of the steering cylinder. That will tell us exactly what you need. When it comes to control heads, you have your pick of the litter, as the AP24, AP28, and the new AP44 will work with those pilot systems. Also, depending on how you plan to use it, it might be worth considering buying the ACx2 course computer and RF300 along with the networking cables on your own and spend the additional $200 or so to upgrade to the Precision-9 heading sensor, but I will say right now the RC42 is pretty tried and true after almost a decade in service, so it's a pros/cons kind of discussion we need to have. Either way, it is honestly a perfect time to buy as Simrad has removed any pricing restrictions on the ACx2 series and those are the last of the systems built in the original Robertson factory in Egersund Norway, and have been bulletproof. Very VERY disapointed to see them go, although I was able to pick up a half dozen just to have on hand for my OWN fleet of boats! also, I'm currently on vacation so best thing to do is to drop me an email using the forum tool as my PM box is as full as a hooker after shore leave. Use this link
    Email Wharf Rat via DEBF Thingy, just ID who you are with a good phone number to call, and I'll get back as soon as I can as stock is limited on those AC12/42 systems, so it would be ideal to at least get that ASAP and worry about the control head later, but if possible before you send me an email please try to ID the type of steering, and if it's a closed system, get me the cylinder part number as well as the boat details, model, etc. Usually it's an HCxx if it's a SeaStar, but if it's a solenoid/power assist. then we save money on both the pump AND the course computer as the AC42 is another grand more than the AC12. Either way, Merry Christmas and looking forward to talking! all to tbest

5. chevy18717

chevy18717 Member

Boat Make:
    BHM
    Wharf rat sent you a message hope to here from you

6. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Back in the office, Happy New Year! just left you a VM, talk to you later on chev!

7. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Just as a heads up, the pump and hydraulic kit finally went out today, sorry it didn't go out Monday like I planned! should have it this coming Monday, should be fun! Thanks again for everything, like I said before, just perfect timing with this system and what you already have as the control head!

8. Russell Young

Russell Young Member

Looking for a Simrad AP22 display, control head, mine works intermittently, probably buttons?
    Cheers