Avalon Launch Follow Up

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Avalon, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    Shannon Downeast 36, Lyman 26' Hardtop Sleeper, Cape Dory Handy Cat, Boston Whaler Newport
    I promised to send Pics when she was properly fitted out so here they are.
    Love the Boat but believe the Prop may be seriously undersized and pitched. Prop that came on the boat is RH 22/17.5. Engine is a remanned Cat 3116. Displacement is 22,000 lbs. Haven't gone over 2K RPM as the engine is new but at 2K rpm I am only getting 10.5 - 11 knots. The Cat Mechanic thinks I should be getting closer to 16 and running a 26" wheel. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Attached Files:

2. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Great looking boat. Did I miss a build thread?

Avalon likes this.
  3. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Congratulations! A very pretty boat.

From what I’ve been able to look up, the SB36 came standard with twins. I see one engine panel @ your helm: what’s the story behind yours with a single?

Respectfully, you need a new mechanic. SB36 advertising stated twin 300hp gave a 16kt. cruise for a 17,000# boat, and you can bet that wasn’t fully loaded.. A single 3116 @ 300 or 350 hp pushing a 22,000# boat will be hard-pressed to cruise @ 13kts.

Avalon likes this.
  4. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    Shannon Downeast 36, Lyman 26' Hardtop Sleeper, Cape Dory Handy Cat, Boston Whaler Newport
    The Shannon Voyager was a twin screw, hard chine, galley up version of a downeast style boat, designed by Walter Schultz. The Voyager was not a very efficient or successful design and Avalon is not a Voyager. She is a Royal Lowell downeast design, layed up by Nauset and finished by SB.
    We haven't finished the 3116 break in so haven't run her up hard for an extended period of time but the one time we ran her up to 2400 rpm, we were making 15 kts but she was a bit loaded. I spoke with a naval architect & engineer at Michigan Wheel who validated that with a reduction gear of 1.5:1, a 22" wheel is the right size prop for the boat. He suggested taking some pitch out but he is still projecting a top end of~17 kts, not that we need or want to run that fast. Running fast is not the primary objective. I just want to know that we are running as efficiently as possible. At 1700-1900 she is currently cruising at 9 - 10 kts. and burning ~4.5 gallons/hour. I'll let you know how things run with the new pitch.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    ArchHibb likes this.
  5. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    I think I met you Avalon. We looked at your neighbor’s Whaler a month or so ago, and tied up on their dock with our Wasque, Old Bay. There cannot be too many folks in the West River with a beautiful Lyman hardtop. I am sorry we missed seeing this boat, Avalon. Another beauty to your classic boat collection!

Avalon likes this.
  6. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Is your 3116 the 300 or 350 hp? From what the Cat mechanic said, I'm guessing 300 which would put you overpitched. How soon can you achieve WOT? Beautiful boat for sure.

7. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    Hey Old Bay! Delighted to sync up with you again. Launched Avalon just about the time you were looking at my neighbor's Whaler. What did you end up buying? I am also a member of the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) Chesapeake Bay Chapter. You and your Wasque (and your Whaler) would be welcome additions to our membership. Check us out at www.chesapeakebayacbs.org/ amd let me know when you come back down to the West River!

OLD BAY likes this.
  8. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    I had the prop pitched to the original hub spec (17.5") in March before we launched or had any data on how the engine (new reman) ran. We now know that was too much pitch so today it was repitched to 15" based on RPM target and recommendations from Michigan Wheel, Cat and Digital Prop in Tracy's Landing. Should have the boat back in thew water Wednesday. Still have 30+ hours to go on the break in but I'm working on knocking that out as quickly as possible. :)

9. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    No, you didn't miss it because I didn't post anything but here's a bit of what's been done.

Attached Files:

JimRP31 and Dr Dude like this.
  10. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Beautiful wiring motivates me to take another run at cleaning mine up. Is yours 350 hp? 3 or 4 bladed prop?

Avalon likes this.
  11. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    We ended up repowering with a new e-tec 90hp. It was a great decision. Our Whaler is the first year of the 16’ 7” hull, a 1961 and very dry. I’m glad we could breath new life into a 57 year old boat. I’ll certainly explore ACBS. Hope to see you out on the Bay soon.

Eric

Avalon likes this.
  12. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    Our 3116 is rated at 300 hp and we are turning a 4 bladed 22" prop with a 15" pitch. We'll see how that works.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  13. Avalon

Avalon Member

Almost Retired
    Boat Make:
    Good choice, Eric. Glad you found a good solution to keep the old girl on the water :))). We'll look for you on the water!
    Bruce