awlgrip or other paint

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by 05bill, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:35 AM.

1. 05bill

05bill Senior Member

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    Cam any ome recommend a hull paint for durability repair ease of application and lasting ability ?

And how much a ft to have it applied ?

I know it will vary by location but this will be done in Maine .

Thank you

Bill

2. offshore27ns

offshore27ns Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    Iwould reccomend Alexseal

3. Henfruit

Henfruit Senior Member

Depends on which state I am in.
    Boat Make:
    Samson 30
    guess $ 200.00 a foot

Calheat likes this.
  4. 05bill

05bill Senior Member

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    Thank you. Too cheap to pay 200 per ft.

Bill

5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 36 and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    If you do have it done go with AwlCraft by AwlGrip. It will be the easiest to repair or blend when the time comes.
    Check with Onset Bay Marina a friend of mine (Greg) is the manager there and may provide you with a good quote.

Beyond Tom's likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Administrator

Boat Make:
    27 Terry Jason / 21 Repco
    Ive used Interlux perfection 3 times just rolling it on with a foam roller from lowes.. just the ones for cabinets and doors.. just roll it on in about 60 degree weather. use the primer they recommend.. I dont tip it just roll on the first 2-3 coats, sand it down with 300 grit or so then last coat roll it and use another dry roller to barely flatten it out.. its not perfect but i dont fell bad when i knick it up etc .. wholesalemarine.com has best price on it usually with free shipping

Attached Files:

Bill,
  7. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

I have used Awlgrip on many projects. The gloss lasts an incredible amount of time. However for a deck it is slippery and needs nonskid additive. I have tried to roll and tip it on, but not had much success. I know it can be done, and it looks great when properly applied by roll and tip.

Usually I have sprayed Awlgrip, which is fairly easy to do. It sprays easy, looks great, but you HAVE TO wait 30 minutes between coats. Otherwise it will run terribly. If you have the patience to wait the 30 minutes, the spray process is easy. Be sure to add Awlgrip accelerator unless it is really hot out.

Bill likes this.
  8. 05bill

05bill Senior Member

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    Thank you all great information. Very helpful and I will call Greg.

Again thank you all.

Bill

9. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    Talking roll and tip here not spray:
    I have always had good luck with International Perfection and International PrimeKoat (both use the same thinner). IMHO much easier than AwlGrip and seems to retain gloss better. That said, 2pk poly's are not easy like enamel or 1pk poly but the results are worth it You must pay attention to the film thickness and add reducer as you go along. Even stopping to move your ladder can cause you to loose your wet edge so a helper is in order.
    BTW, don't even think about Pettit's 2pk, it's not ready for prime time by any means and they don't seem to have a good epoxy primer to go under it either. How do I know? I've got a 34' boat waiting for a free repaint b/c the owner chose a color from Pettit and we tried to use it.

CRABBYPATTI likes this.
  10. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Both Awlcraft and Alexseal are repairable. I would recommend you find the yard and then use the product they are most comfortable with.

Beyond Tom's likes this.
  11. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

Painting over wet epoxy always results in low gloss LPU. I do it to obtain the best bond, but wet sand the first coat of LPU and then apply a second coat. When topcoating dry epoxy, I just sand appropriately and it has always worked well. Usually the epoxy was DeVoe Bar-Rus, but also Interlux epoxy has not been a problem.

12. Beyond Tom's

Beyond Tom's Senior Member

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Beautiful job bill

Bill likes this.
  13. Beyond Tom's

Beyond Tom's Senior Member

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    31 JC
    I second that Blitzen, I’ve made a few changes on my transom with the muffler after she was painted and had the marina touch them up and you can’t even tell. Now with the trim tab project I’m going to need them to spray some more and not worried. Awlcraft in my opinion is the way to go.

14. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I tried Quantum for the first time this year. I sort of liked it and now that I know a little about the learning curve, want to go back and try it again. Something I liked about how it mixed and laid out. I think I was a little more unhappy with my prep work which I know is so much. I also think gloss green wasnt the way to go. I really really liked the grey primer, alot... enough that wife liked it and thinking about the switch...

15. MBILL

MBILL Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy&Duffy
    I used Awlcraft 2000 a few years ago and it still looks great. I'll see if I can find an invoice with the cost....

The only downside is that it doesn't work well in locations that are always wet, for instance where you've got a cooler or a container of sinkers sitting on the deck all the time. The paint will bubble over time in this situation.
    I had a lot of trouble keeping it in shape on my steering hatch which has cups for the handle. I found that Interlux bilge coat works great for that problem.

16. leaky

leaky Captain

Good stuff Bill. When I was at Holland's shop awhile ago they were doing similar work with an Epifanes product with similarly great results. I couldn't believe it when they said all they did was roll it on.

Funny what you said how you do the first 2 to 3 coats different from the last. I pulled my hair out a few years ago following directions of no primer, thinning, roll & tip, then wet sand between each coat, with a cheap single part paint. After about my 3rd coat of that nonsense I realized if you going to sand you ought to have something to sand into. Later figured out how much better the good paint works.

Jon

17. Game fisherman

Game fisherman Senior Member

Boat builder / Firefighter
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy low shear
    Alexseal is all I use painted a Boat 8 years ago and it still looks like gelcoat. You can repair it and sand and buff it .

Attached Files:

Bill likes this.
  18. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Bill, How long do you wait between coats when doing the first 2-3 coats?

19. Bill

Bill Administrator

Boat Make:
    27 Terry Jason / 21 Repco
    thanks Jon. The primer is good strong stuff and will fill in pin holes etc. you don’t have to be too careful with it just get it on the boat . 2 part is the way to go for me. I tried one part and hated it. There is a guy on THT that did his boat with rustoleum and made it look like a mirror claims it’s hsrd as nails . But way more work. The perfection you can sand down quick a few years later and just add another coat .

John , you can apply another coat within a certain amount of hours I forget . They say for best results sand in between coats for best results but like Jon said you gotta get paint on the boat . It doesn’t have to be pretty and you can practice on the first coats which will be sanded down at the end then by the time it’s ready for 3rdor 4th you are good at the method .

Key is to keep the wet edge going . I’m a lefty so I start on port side bow and work my way back and around the boat .. it’s easier on a small boat but when on a big tall boat you gotta move quick or that edge sets up quick. Anything over 70 degrees I found sucked. Paint just flashes too quick

Bill,
  20. November Rain

November Rain Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    43' Lowell
    We had to repair a crack on the roof last year, everything came out well, execpt blending in the Awlgrip. There is a raised line going across the roof where the new paint went on over the old paint. If we sand it smooth, it will be a dull/flat spot. Just my two cents.