Battery chargers

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by tunaorlater, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    Stand alone volt meters are one of the best add ons I've put on the boats that I've had. Easy, simple, cheap and foolproof. Wire them direct to each battery. You can pick them up on Amazon from $10-20. I don't turn mine off, they show voltage 24/7/365 with a backlight and draw milliamps....nothing.

2. backman

backman Captain

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36
    I don't have the remote panel because a number of comments indicated it did not fully mirror the Chargers control functions. My engin control does show me batter level, but it's not on the normal startup display, i.e. I typically would not look for it. The lesson I learned is to get my head all the way down the hole and look at all gauges and LEDs on the charger not just the obvious green light/red litht.

Tony Athens pointed out on his site that a DVM provides an ongoing view of your batteries, so you get a real time view as load is applied and taken off or as charge is applied. That would have explained to me that one was not charging.

FWIW - along the way I cleaned up crap like the charging wires and lugs to my starting battery so the learning opportunity also gave me an opportunity to improve things along the way!

Attached Files:

3. Pitou

Pitou Senior Member

Real Estate Broker
    Boat Make:
    '06 Albin 31 TE
    I did a DC refit this year from new battery trays, 3 banks of wet batteries (house, start, genset), home run DVM's from Seaboard Marine to each battery bank an ACR between the start and house, new On/OFF battery switches for the House & Genset banks, an On/Off /Combine switch for the Start, added a ProMariner 12-60P 60 amp charger dedicated to the house with a remote display and kept my old 40 amp Pro-Nautic for the start and genset battery charger. Previously the Pro-Nautic was set-up to charge all three banks and it would kick back to minimal output making it difficult to fully charge the house when it sensed the start and genset banks being fully charged. It just made sense to separate the House from the other banks charging system and add a 2nd charger dedicated to the House.

For the first time in 4 years since owning this boat battery management is A+ and without issue! Not once did I run the Start/Genset charger on shore power and the ProMariner 12-60 would often drop to "0" output on shore power when the house was fully charged.

I couldn't be more pleased with this refit and battery management from the Seaboard Marine DVM's that always let me know exactly where I stand!

Seaboard DVM . ProMariner Monitor.jpg DVM, Charger Monitor.jpg Panel Prep.jpg Chargers.jpg Chargers.Fused.jpg Battery Switches.jpg House Bank.jpg House Bank II.jpg Start and Genset Banks.jpg

Scotth and Genius like this.
  4. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Where did you find that voltage gauge panel? That's a nice one.

5. Pitou

Pitou Senior Member

Real Estate Broker
    Boat Make:
    '06 Albin 31 TE
    Thanks ... It came out pretty slick and looks OEM.

I had a local engraver make the face plate for me. Black face with white core / radius edges / individual gauge holes are 1 1/8" diameter to accommodate the Seaboard DVM's. For layout .. the faces are 1 3/8". I also had one made up for a remote ACR LED display on the helm as the ACR is buried under the battery switches .. only picture of the project that I didn't take.

tunaorlater likes this.