Best cooler

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by BunkerMan, Jul 1, 2017.

1. BunkerMan

BunkerMan Senior Member

What coolers do you guys like to use? I just got a yeti 120qt and figured I would see what everyone likes.

2. Roy-c

Roy-c Senior Member

How quickly we forget. Yeti is a major contributor to the CLF. We can thank them for Obama's ocean monument.
    Was posted on this forum when all that was going on.

3. leaky

leaky Captain

A Coleman 120 quart for $60 at Walmart, they also make a wheeled version with a long extendable handle that works well for moving things to/from the boat at the marina. I've got a small fleet of them. Ain't no yeti or icey tek but works better for what I do since it's not a major investment, cooler/fish-tote/dock-cart/step-stool.

Jon

4. BunkerMan

BunkerMan Senior Member

Hi Roy this was strictly a product inquiry and not a political action. This is ment to keep fish/food cold and not bring up political discussion. But thanks for mentioning that.

5. restless

restless Captain

For my bait I have a 60 quart Icey Tek. It's at least 10 years old and has paid for it's self many times over. Don't buy a huge 150 qt. cooler to keep a bushel of shucked clams cold. A smaller quality cooler will keep ice and bait much better than a big box. For a fish box I use a Bonar box.

6. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

Commercial Sword/Tuna capt
    Boat Make:
    42 h&H
    Build one out of 1 1/2 foam and be done with it. They hold ice great and are lighter and way cheaper than a Yeti.

goin4broke and sailor of fortune like this.
  7. Frigate

Frigate Senior Member

Licensed Land Surveyor
    Boat Make:
    38' Duffy/Flower
    BunkerMan,

With all due respect, I cannot support a company who donates to an organization that wants to stop us from fishing. For example, it is like you going up to a person, home invading your house and giving them a kitchen knife and saying to them will this help you.

Islandlure likes this.
  8. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

RTIC

9. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Not sure where your located, but FAT WALLY Heavy Duty Sportsmens Coolers HADCO Nilkamal

They are located in New England. Company in New Hampshire, their warehouse is in New Bedford, Ma. Sometimes they
    Have demo sales. A lot cheaper than the other brands. If you need ice for 4-5 days it just what you need. Other than that the igloo max is all you need for a day to two. I agree with Billy RTIC is nice.

10. MBILL

MBILL Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy&Duffy
    I use 120qt coleman's or igloo's for day trips, a bonar box for serious ice retention.
    Just picked up a 45qt RTIC box for multi day ice retention in summer Florida.
    Yeti's are too expensive.

11. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

I didn't know that about Yeti either. That being said, I have 4 or 5 Igloo coolers and a 150qt Coleman that will hold ice for a couple days. Is a Yeti or Icey Tek better? Probably, but I don't need anything better and am sure as hell not spending the money for one.

12. sailor of fortune

sailor of fortune Captain

Tug Boat Captain in New York
    Boat Make:
    2 Home made skiffs
    The Rtic is supposed to be a better cooler than the Yetti according to some of the sportman mag tests. I havn't used either so don't listen to me.

13. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    I have an RTIC 65, Great product and half the cost of yeti, would not hesitate to buy another.

14. sailor of fortune

sailor of fortune Captain

Tug Boat Captain in New York
    Boat Make:
    2 Home made skiffs
    I have never seen those Fatwally coolers. Those look like they would last a lifetime.

15. Pitou

Pitou Senior Member

Real Estate Broker
    Boat Make:
    '06 Albin 31 TE
    Engel fan here. I have the 123 on deck and these things are sturdy!

I will say that I struggled breaking my wallet out, but after years of worn out Igloo coolers and sub par ice block retention, reading reviews and talking to other boaters I bit the bullet last spring and am glad that I did.

Totally air tight seal that sometimes requires the drain plug to be loosened to remove the lid suction. After the cooler has been chilled I easily get a week out of a couple of blocks with frequent openings. Interior bottom self drains as it's pitched to the drain plug.

Austin Kayak has the best deals and if you sign up for emails you get another 15% off and free shipping. I paid $390 to my door and feel as if this will be my last cooler in this size class for a very long time.
    View The Line of Engel Coolers at Austin Kayak - ACK

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

I'm a Yeti fan, and have been since their inception.

Although, I believe Frigid Rigid makes a much nicer unit for a boat since it is fiberglass/gel coat. However, last I checked they make the yeti seem cheap.

17. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

X2 for RTIC but I like my Esky better...made by Coleman. Mine holds ice for days and they are less expensive than most...RTIC is probably less then Esky.

18. Reelman955

Reelman955 Senior Member

Retired Law Enforcement
    Boat Make:
    2007 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
    I have a RTIC 65. Great cooler for the food and drinks. Holds ice for days. Only complaint with my RTIC 65 is the cover has warped a little but thats from it being used as a step for getting on and off the boat. The cost was $200

19. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    I bought a 270 Icey tek 12 years ago for $250. Couldn't believe I was spending that on a cooler. I could probably sell it for twice that now. It's a great cooler and still like new but no way I'd spend $800 for one.

20. restless

restless Captain

I bought a 60 quart Icey Tech for a bait cooler around the same time. Boater's World was closing and I paid about eighty bucks for it. At the time I couldn't believe I was spending that much for such a small cooler. I would have a hard time paying the price for a Yetti or some thing similar. Hell I can replace my Bonar box for less money.

sailor of fortune likes this.