blown head gasket damage

Discussion in 'Skiffs and Small Work Boats' started by OLD BAY, Jul 5, 2017.

1. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Bad day.
    After years of flawless performance, my 24 year old 2-stroke Johnson 88SPL idled rough this week.
    After seeing water on 1 of the plugs, I pulled the head on that side (V4) and found the piston and head damaged. The head gasket had failed.
    No overheating, t-stats new in the fall, new water pump... what a bummer. After looking into new, I think I'm going to rebuild the engine. It is/was a beast.

[​IMG]

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Mechanical Engineer
    Boat Make:
    1981 35' Bruno & Stillman
    For some reason I thought you had diesel power in the Wasque. :rolleyes::D New motors are not cheap that's for sure, but they do tend to really stretch the fuel economy and idle much smoother. Good luck with the rebuild. Always in the peak of the season.........because they rarely blow up under the tarp.

OLD BAY likes this.
  3. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    LOL, yes the Wasque has a Cummins.
    The Boston Whaler has (had?) the Johnson!

4. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Kewl stuff going on on that piston....

Can you get parts for these? That would be my concern. That an ethanol fuel...

5. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Getting parts is not an issue, fortunately. There are a few people still making new pistons and rebuilt complete power heads too. And these old engines are not finicky about there fuel, like the newer models. So I'm going the rebuild route... a lot cheaper than new and no damned computers.

6. Steve2ManyBoats

Steve2ManyBoats Member

Maintaining my fleet of stuff
    Boat Make:
    Tomcat, Sea Ox, C-Hawk, Proline, T-Gull, Home Builts
    Go ahead and rebuild it. Crossflow OMC V4's are some of the best running, best idling and most durable 2 stroke motors ever made. Like inline Merc 6's, they're relatively light (300 lbs.) for the power they make. I had a cossflow 140 that I ran for years and only retired for the sake of more power, no other reason. Pro Marine makes some of the most affordable and reliable pistons for OMC crossflows. I've installed a bunch and have had no problems of any kind. If you don't have a local vendor, I can strongly recommend Pit Stop marine. Their prices are great and you get a real person on the other end of the phone when you order. OMC V4s are really easy to work on. If you've never rebuilt a motor before, this would be a great first try.

Keep fresh thermostats in that V4 and it'll run until that block turns to dust...and it might even keep running after that...

Steve2ManyBoats.

OLD BAY likes this.