Blue Seas 31 Refit

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Turtleman, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    Been Lurking for some time. Sold a boat early spring and decided it was time for a down east project. After searching the internet and consulting with my wife we settled on a Blue Sea 31. I am sure some of you will recognize it as it was listed this spring. We brought it home late spring and I have spent time this summer stripping the boat up in preparation for its refit. The Boat was finally moved to a local boatyard to remove the engine this past weekend so its time to get a rebuild thread going. I will post when I can and I know everyone likes pictures so here we go as we found it: 6506017_20171023162826040_1_XLARGE.jpg 6506017_20171023162322507_1_XLARGE.jpg 6506017_20171023161459008_2_XLARGE.jpg 6506017_20171023163010693_1_XLARGE.jpg thumbnail.jpg 6506017_20171023164604994_1_XLARGE.jpg

2. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Looking forward to this thread. Nice boat for sure, Spent a little time on one and was impressed.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    I hope to keeps things interesting.
    The Plan on the Boat is pretty much a full refit.
    To start I have stripped the flybridge which had seen better days. As I formerly had a 29 Aquasport Tournament master with a tower, I knew how much I used the upper station and how much it would raise the center of gravity I decided that after I removed the flybridge for transport I would scrap it and go straight hardtop. After getting the boat home I started stripping the salon interior, moving to most of the electronics, fixtures and wiring which had all seen better days. I also pulled the norcold fridge and stove, which lead me to decide to redo the salon. 20180505_101714.jpg 20180505_142550.jpg 20180512_073607.jpg 20180514_084005.jpg 20180520_155109.jpg 20180624_093948.jpg 20180624_094004.jpg Here are some of the deconstruction photos:

Toolate and Keelboater like this.
  4. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Looks good.. keep up the good work, I also owned A 29 aquasport, The girlfriend misses the room but not the ride or the fuel bill.. getting rid of the bridge will take some of the roll out of her also.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Terry Jason 28
    Great looking boat we'll enjoy the project as you progressed

6. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    20180901_104428 (2).jpg
    20180901_115503.jpg 20180901_115447.jpg 20180906_085148.jpg 20180906_164627.jpg 20180906_165013.jpg 20180906_085142.jpg
    To bring the project right up to date, I had the boat picked up by my good friend Dan over at Saltworks Marine in Marion Mass over last weekend. The Plan was to remove the Engine and tanks. The engine, a Cummins 210 will be overhauled and painted and the tanks will be removed and evaluated. After a brief discussion we decided the best way to remove the engine was to remove the roof. The roof was removed yesterday and the engine was removed today.

7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Nice !! looks like your going for it. Keep us posted when you can.

8. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Beautiful boat soon to be made even better.

BUT, can you educate me more on that barn, that looks beautiful! Owner made, company made, etc etc.

Nautahorse, CaseyMarie and Old Mud like this.
  9. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    The Barn! That is the new barn & location of Salt Works Marine in Marion Ma owned by and built by Dan & Kellie Crete. The Barn has recently been finished off and Dan is tending to landscaping and grading around the barn getting ready for the fall hauling season. The Barn itself is 100 x 40, steel skeleton/post and beam construction. Its a work of art itself and a dream for any avid boat owner. As to my boat being in the barn, we needed to get my boat in and out as quick as possible. My boat will be brought back to my house while he tends to his clients this fall. The plan is to hopefully have the boat and engine ready to be reunited late October/November after he is done tending to his other customers. I will try to get a few more barn pics for anyone wanting a boat barn fix, when I inspect the boat this afternoon.

10. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
    Good luck w/ your Blue Seas project....I owned a 1988 31' Blue Seas Sportfisher.
    I certainly admire your enthusiasm.
    Again, good luck and press on regardless.

11. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    "The Barn!"

If I could work on my boat inside that barn (after killing myself under shrink wrap for so long with my project) I'd have to wear a condom under my work jeans. :D
    Nice project you have going on there. Please keep us updated!

ErikT, Fishonnelsons and Old Mud like this.
  12. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Yeah !!, The Barn !!!! That's a great design. I think it should have a name. :)

13. Fishnjess

Fishnjess Senior Member

Nice work. Keep the posts coming. Something nice about all the Royal Lowell designs, maybe the flare in the bow? Good luck with it. Is the hull solid or cored?

14. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    Great thread! I looked at this boat last spring, I ended up buying another Blue Seas 31. I am so glad to see this one is finally getting the attention she deserves. I am trying to think if any of the bridge parts would be of any use to me (if for sale?). That mast is kind of interesting... Keep the pics and updates coming!

15. Genius

Genius Captain

i have barn envy

Eastporter likes this.
  16. MCKport

MCKport New Member

Landscape Contractor
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    Following. What’s her hull number? I just purchased #34 this spring. Getting plans together for upgrades this winter.

17. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    Made a quick inspection yesterday and holding/fuel tank removal was underway. the boat has 2 aluminum 100 gallon tanks, it was decided to empty, remove and clean and inspect. I will be re-gelcoating the entire engine compartment so if I am going to do it I will do it right.

Is the hull solid or cored?
    That is a good question. I have found conflicting information, which includes some of the literature that actually came with the boat. I will be removing most of the thru hulls for replacement so I should find the right answer.

I am trying to think if any of the bridge parts would be of any use to me (if for sale?). That mast is kind of interesting... Keep the pics and updates coming!
    Right now, I am contemplating whether I completely junk the flybridge or shrink wrap it and put it aside in case I change my mind. As to the Mast, It was an original item by Blue Seas. The base need a repair. I will not be reusing it so I would be interested in parting with it. I will be installing a 20 foot spar and boom in its place.

If I could work on my boat inside that barn (after killing myself under shrink wrap for so long with my project) I'd have to wear a condom under my work jeans.
    Yes the barn, more photos attached.

Following. What’s her hull number? I just purchased #34 this spring. Getting plans together for upgrades this winter.
    I have hull 16. From the documents I received from the prior owner hull 16 became hull 1 of the production run of the boat, the first 15 hulls were custom builds. I plan on posting all the sales documents I received with the boat, which will include line drawings for all 3 models produced.

Now some more pictures:

Attached Files:

CaseyMarie, Keelboater and frobo.1 like this.
  18. Fishnjess

Fishnjess Senior Member

I am jealous of the barn. The convenience of having heat, light and stability of a structure is awesome

CaseyMarie likes this.
  19. Turtleman

Turtleman Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas 31
    Update: 9 hours of engine bay cleaning and de-greasing- check. Next up is sanding engine bay to read for re-gel coating. Also powerwashed fuel tanks and visually inspected. Tanks have held up well for 30 years. Waiting for 4 inspection ports to cut into tanks and clean interior of tanks.

Attached Files:

CaseyMarie and Genius like this.
  20. Spitball

Spitball Member

My buddy has a green one in Mattapoisett with a 250hp Volvo. Great boats.

CaseyMarie likes this.