Bonar box placement on a 31 BHM

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by pennh2o, Sep 12, 2018.

1. pennh2o

pennh2o Senior Member

I want to mount a 48" by 43" saeplast box on the deck of my 31 BHM. My deck is 13 feet. I want to mount the box 27 inches from the transom. So the box will be 27 inches away from the transom and 80 inches away from the wheel house.

I will be using the box as a live well. It holds 180 gallons so it will be very heavy.

Do you guys foresee any problems with how the boat will handle the weight?

Currently the box is mounted up against the wheelhouse and I have not had any issues.

2. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Member

Thats about 1500 lb weight plus the tank, I guess you could do a practice run down around Breezy PT and see how she goes, stability and speed. Its when you add some Anglers you might notice her getting giddy. To much weight on the stern might leave you pushing water rather than displacing it. That hull should handle it I would think, Good luck

3. 31jcptown

31jcptown Senior Member

Boat Make:
    91 31 JC P-Town
    180 gallon live well above deck sounds excessive on a 31 footer that's a lot of water moving around why the need for such a big well

4. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    so if you take 48"Lx43"Wx40"H = 82,560 cubic inches and divide that by 231(cu in in a gallon) you get 357.4 gallons x 7lbs = 2501.8 lbs. That is a lot of weight even in the stern of those little tanks of a boat. Maybe i figured it wrong ?

5. pennh2o

pennh2o Senior Member

its 180 gallons, so we're talking about 1200- 1500 lbs of water

6. blinsquirrel

blinsquirrel Senior Member

Fill the box with water and take it for a spin. The boat can handle the weight...but she’ll be dragging her ass in the process. Why only 27” from the transom? Put the box in the middle of the cockpit to make the most of the deckspace...unless it impedes a deck hatch you need access to. Once you find where you like it...make sure it’s secured properly to the deck..don’t want that thing to take off on you. If you’re keeping 25 NY blackfish alive, you can do it with a much smaller fish box.

7. RockBottomFish

RockBottomFish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    BHM
    I have two 50 gallon live wells, one port one starboard built right into the transom of my 31 BHM with no issues. Use them all fall and load them up. They were converter to live wells 12 years ago and in service ever since. I do have tabs on my boat.

8. pennh2o

pennh2o Senior Member

thats good to hear

9. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    whats the inside measurements ? i added 40" for the height just off the top of my head. You don't fill it up then ?

10. pennh2o

pennh2o Senior Member

Inside dimensions are 45 x 40 x 25, it fills up close to the top, so we're talking about 150 gallons

11. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    1985 31' BHM
    I just checked. A gallon of seawater is 8.56 pounds. Pretty heavy stuff when you have a lot of it.
    Robo

Robo,
  12. ripta13

ripta13 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1996 31 BHM
    I bring 3,000lbs of ice on some canyon trips. The 31 can handle it. My fish holds start just aft of my engine room hatches. I would want the weight as far forward as you can though. If you put the box in the stern make sure all your stern thru hulls have check valves or loops.

13. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    comes out to 194.8 gals or 1667.5 lbs. I'd want the weight up behind the house and not in my way back out on deck but thats just me.

14. Captinlon

Captinlon Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    Rockbottom do you have any pictures of your set up on the transom ? Love to see. want to do that to my boat. Thanks

15. pennh2o

pennh2o Senior Member

Thanks for the replay. Approximately how long is the hold and how many inches is it from the transom?