Bow Swivel Rod Holder

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by SYo, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Rob did you build your gin pole yet ?

2. leaky

leaky Captain

Don't waste your $$ or make this complicated - there are a zillion sellers of this model, $25 on this Ebay listing but usually they are more like < $20 if you shop around a bit. Last season I bought two for $38/shipped.

2 Ton Rope Hoist Pulley Wheel Block and Tackle 4 000lb Wild Game Deer Hanger | eBay

Sure in a big boat where you can have an electric winch mounted well, covered well, kept in good order, then I guess you can do it with one of those more easily - but in a small boat with some temporary mounted thing in the end it's going to be more difficult.

Whatever you do make sure you over-size it with an electric - I doubt a $50 one is gonna do it well, ratings for electric winches are usually based on the rolling load they can handle not what they can lift and the last thing you want is an electric winch that struggles.

By myself I've lifted a number of 400 lb fish into the boat using these cheap 4 over 4 block & tackles, and we've lifted them up to > 900 lbs, which I probably could still do myself. It's not hard, nor do you need anything else. They will rust over time, does not hurt anything really, but when they get crusty just buy a new one - I always have a spare. Don't ask me what wennow means - obviously made in China :).

block.jpg

20170507_182849.jpg

3. SYo

SYo Member

Boat Make:
    28' Wayne Beal
    I’m glad someone asked about the pulleys. This new pole looks a little bare without one.

Attached Files:

SYo,
  4. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Leaky that 2000# is a rolling load but i have picked fish up to 745# with mine. The only reason i used one of those is i use them and the 2500# ones for putting in floats and ramps. The thing you have to do is drop all the wire off and save just what will reach the water. Much more torque down near the core.
    Mine is on a small boat, if it were on a bigger boat i would be using a door. 4" Sch. 40 with all the mounts through welded.

Mounts at the deck, at the wash rail and at the top frame. I also get to mount my Morad and poons.

Works for me. :)

. 4 gin pole.jpg 2 gin pole.jpg 3 gin pole.jpg 5 gin pole.jpg

5. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Not yet. Life kind of got busy the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping next week or so to get on it. I will start a new thread when I do. I have been keeping an eye on this one though and getting some ideas.

Rob

6. bassriver

bassriver Member

Don, appreciate the suggestion, I will check them out. Hope all is well, Steve

Old Mud likes this.
  7. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

Yes, it is the one from Browns.

8. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Senior Member

Nice - that was my father's boat. Nice to see someone getting some use out of it and throwing some tuna on !

9. Bobby

Bobby Member

I love the idea of removing the extra cable to get more torque. I have a Parker Sport Cabin with an outboard (hope that is okay on this site, I'm a DE wannabee, maybe next year). I use a 2000# warn winch, I mount it to my horizontal davit on my roof using U-bolts so I can easily remove and store, I made a removable ramp (2 rails) that I attach between the stern and the bracket, then I pull right over the stern, not lifting the fish out of the air. On a 600#+ last year I was blowing fuses, so I added another pulley with a hook that basically cuts the load in half, then no problems.

10. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

I built my gin pole 9' and would have gone taller if I had the room to store it. I would go at least 10'. By the time you factor in the fish length and block and tackle you will use all of that height. I lift them head first and get the heaviest part of the fish high, it is much easier swinging in the tail vs. the head. I also like to gut them while hanging as the vent tends to pull down or relax after you cut the cords. I would recommend double sleeving the halves if you plan on making a two piece set up.

Old Mud likes this.
  11. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

Did he use it much and did he purchase the Johnsons in 1998? Just trying to estimate the hours that were on the outboards when I bought them

12. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Senior Member

barely ever used it, it was a harbor/beach boat...and he was not the original owner. boat came with the engines when he bought it.