Bow Thruster

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by tailhook, Aug 13, 2018.

1. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    I will be installing a bow thruster over the winter, (ya i know, hand in my man card) I have read all the manufactures specs just wondering all the inputs from other on what size and what brands worked for them. it is for a 31JC.

2. ARC

ARC Member

Mine is a 55 side power. I would love to have a hydraulic thruster, but I don’t have hydraulic on my engine. The electric works ok. I would not own a boat with out one. Some places I go are so tight that I can’t even square the boat to back in. The thruster makes it very easy.

ARC,
  3. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Thanks ARC. Same here about tight space!! on a mooring but getting fuel and people and dealing with crowed harbors suck..

4. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Anyone have experience with a hydraulic thruster, I was peaking around at a few, but seemed they were more expensive than electric units.

5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Side Power is the way to go. Hydraulic is nice but way more money if the boat is not set up for it already. I would recommend the largest 12V thruster they have before the double prop units for your boat. Larger is better here as they like to be used in short bursts. I would also not put a battery in for the unit but rather spend the money on the larger size cable to have it run off you engine battery as the engine will be running anyway when you are using the unit.

6. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Thanks Blitzen. No hydraulics so i figured go with more than I need and if i need more battery than what i have just call my insurance before impact.. lol. Battery location has been quite a question of mine for a while so with 2 4d's and no 12 volt use short of the electronics and motor i don't think it will be a problem.

7. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Nantucket couple of summers ago. Family comes to the island for lunch and reserve a mooring in the harbor. The two boys ask the parents if they can stay on the boat and fish while the parents go in town to grab a bite to eat. What harm could it be right?

Kids quickly get bored fishing and one brother decided he is going to play with the bow thruster. Back and forth the bow is moving on the mooring, over and over. Half hour later boat is fully involved and burns to the water line. Everyone safe, fire was impossible to put out even with the fire boat. Watched two beautiful motors melt into a ball.

8. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    It shouldn't be but be careful if you need to add a battery, you may also have to up the output on your alternator.

tailhook likes this.
  9. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I have Jet Thruster from Holland marine. Works pretty awesome. You don’t need as much space up front, just
    Through hulls and hose installations. They have a hydraulic version, it’s based on 24v, which is achieved by a combiner and 4 12v batteries.

10. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28, CuttyHunk 28 Molds
    I have a Sidepower 55 thruster in my Nauset 28, 4-6volt house batteries and a 4-D start battery. 65 amp alternator. I also have an inverter and microwave. The only time I have plugged my boat to shore power is to top off the batteries during winter storage. I don't even have the shore power cable on the boat. Larry your welcome to come try mine to see how effective it is. Docked in Fairhaven.

tailhook and Blitzen like this.
  11. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Thanks for the input from everybody!! Simple project right! just like my second station that ended up with two new helms and probably a new ram this winter.Everything else in life is wasted money..

12. Genius

Genius Captain

Wow, that is an interesting set up. They do a hydraulic motor as well. Could you also use the water pump for....a deck hose?

13. ARC

ARC Member

I was going to install a thruster in my last boat. I figured a nice off season project. I got to busy so I hired Florida bow thruster. Best 6,500.00 I ever spent. 2 guys worked solid for 2 days and they were well equipped. They did a great job and I never had a problem for the 7 years I owned the boat.

ARC,
    tailhook likes this.
  14. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    No, the water pump, at least on my 24v system pumps out like a fire hose. Not sure you could throttle it back.

15. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28, CuttyHunk 28 Molds
    Once you price out the components, You will likely be opting for a conventional thruster. D 008 05 price list 2018

16. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Had 7” tube and sidepower 55 (might have been 60) on my 30 sisu and that thing really turned. Would do it again and after owning it for a season without it I was very happy to have it. Pay attention to distance below the water line when installing. I think if you can get one installed for $6500 and that includes the cost of the unit I would go ahead with that. Huge job to cut the holes, glass and fair inside and out, bottom paint (epoxy barrier if applicable), wiring, inside paint (if applicable), and the clean up from the fiberglass dust. I did it myself and it was a workout.

Jet thruster is an interesting idea. You can do bow and stern thrusters off the same motor and just hole saws no fiberglassing involved. Run a boat with stern thrusters and you will miss them every time you dock. Not needed but wanted for sure.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  17. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    You can’t really go by that parts catalog. If serious you need to call the US rep, he’s actually local to NH, MA.

Genius likes this.
  18. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff/Webbers Cove 40, Forest Johnson Prowler 32 (for sale)
    Prior owner had an oversized 24V Vetus installed. Two 12V gel batteries in series mounted nearby in FWD cabin locker. Has its own dedicated charger which requires shore power or gen power to charge so like the idea of running off engine batteries as otherwise have to periodically run gen to charge since boat is kept on a mooring. Works well and has proven helpful for positioning bow for backing up as described in another thread and tight turns in the mooring field. Seems powerful as we learned the hard way to be mindful of mooring/dingy lines...

19. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    my son is having a 55 installed in his 28 SeaVee this week in his yard...$7500+- complete.
    New England Bow Thruster I believe

20. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I was going to go with a Vetus 55 on my project but noticed that the Vetus 60 draws 70 amps less with the same power and provides slightly more thrust. The tunnel diameter is larger however. The Vetus rep confirmed the amp draw because I thought it might have been a typo. Funny trade offs make for interesting results.

Tuna Hotline likes this.