CAT 3116 Boost/egt numbers?

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by Toolate, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I did it all- had cat set the timing/fuel timing, replaced all the hoses/belts/thermostats/boiled out my aftercooler and gear cooler, pressure tested them, filters, fluids, some paint etc.. was a huge job. I replaced my exhaust risers with dry units because the factory design is such that if the inner wall of it fails, water is leaking back into the turbos and potentially causing big problems. I would check this first and then definitely make sure you cooling systems are in good shape (engines should run low 180’s at cruise). Also make sure it turns full 2800 at WOT or a hair more.

I am a nut a bout preventative maintenance so you dont need to do all of this but the cooling system is the most important system not he engine in my opinion. Suffer one overheat and you could be looking for new engines. Deal with the aftercoolers and gear coolers, make sure the impellers and thermostats (fluids and filters of course too) are in good shape and you should be fine. The rest is for the paranoid.

These engines are fantastic by the way. Quick start up, no smoke or soot at all, none. Run Cat 30wt oil and you should have the same performance. I like to cruise them a little below 2300 because they are so much quieter than at 2400 but the EGT’s dont care. Once on a plane they get lower the faster you go so I think the engines are very well paired with the hull.

Lets see the boat!

2. Zipperhead

Zipperhead New Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 with Cat 3116TA's
    Thanks for the detail, I will handle a bunch of the small stuff myself but I am a little reluctant to pull the aftercoolers, did you pull your own and boil them or did you bring them somewhere?

3. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Just unbolt and did them myself (drain coolant first :).. You have to remove the bridge deck to do this job or at least you should because its easy and makes all the other work youa re doing so much easier. Tough to get onboard of the S engine but its possible. I am 6’3” 225 and I can get there but its a workout.

4. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Like Toolate said, the biggest hassle is draining enough coolant to remove the aftercoolers. Lower bolts get permatex just below the heads when reinstalling. Oh, and btw, they’re HEAVY so be prepared when removing.

5. Zipperhead

Zipperhead New Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 with Cat 3116TA's
    Thanks Toolate, you are evidently a flexible mofo, do you know if anyone has hinged the deck and put in an electric lift? I assume that with the weight of the teak removing the deck is a big ordeal.

6. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    No teak on mine and me and 2 guys handled it. Yard could do it with lift in no time if you loosen the bars holding it down. I am flexible as hell by the way but its still tight lol. Never seen a hinged one. I think most Sabre owners are just fine paying others to do this stuff haha.

7. digs

digs Member

I don't find those coolers that heavy , yours could be loaded ?

digs,