Coastal 27

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Vlad, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM.

1. Vlad

Vlad Member

Any feedback will be appreciated on Coastal 27 " Tripp Angler " 1988 with 210 Cummins , 1200 hours. Made a mistake not buying Portsmouth 30 , project boat but it's a great hull. Not gonna cry over the spilled milk.
    Thanks in advance
    Vlad

Vlad,
  2. toolmaker

toolmaker Senior Member

I have run a 27 Coastal and have owned a 28 Nauset [the old Harris 28 Cuttyhunk] and the Nauset 28 is a better sea boat than the 27 Coastal. The Coastal 27 is a well built and finished great little inshore boat but I found she did not like a beam sea anywhere aft of her midship section, maybe it was just the conditions I was in and I am off base with my statement so lets ask for more opinions. I bring up the Nauset/Harris because both of these hulls, Coastal 27 and the Portsmouth 30 that you mentioned were developed on the same drawing board. You also mentioned project boat so I would be on the hunt for an older 28 and refit her if I had the facilities and skills required. To me, a modernized 28 while keeping her traditional looks and color schemes would contribute to preserving the legacy of this great Royal Lowell design. Just my opinion and my vision of a perfect and affordable builtdown designed downeaster with lots of history.

Dr Dude likes this.
  3. Vlad

Vlad Member

Vlad,
  4. Vlad

Vlad Member

Thanks, appreciate your opinion .
    Will continue looking for one of these boats

Vlad,
  5. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    How much of a "Project" are you interested in?

6. Vlad

Vlad Member

Willing to repower,painting & installing new electronics etc. Is your question regarding amount of money or the size of potential project. By the way just found Sisu 26 in 1982 in Vermont with Chrysler engine. Gonna call tomorrow, that might be interesting project. Same Lowell's design.

Vlad,
  7. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    I was curious if you were considering a kit build?

8. South Shore Boatworks

South Shore Boatworks Senior Member

I have worked on both the 27, which was originally built by Norton then Nauset and finally Tripp. and also the 28 which started as Harris Cuttyhunk. then Nauset. The 28 is a solid sea boat. It is good in a following or quartering sea. I would focus your search on finding a 28

Gurryman likes this.
  9. Vlad

Vlad Member

Building a kit is most likely out of my price range. I do have a mechanical skills but would not be able to complete building a kit myself.

Vlad,
  10. Vlad

Vlad Member

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the 28 Nauset. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to find one.

Vlad,