corrosion

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by archsea bunker, May 1, 2018.

1. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Member

Just pulled out some of my tuna gear 'internationals' and there is white/green spots especially on the handles like corrosion spots, how can I remove these and what can I put on the reels to prevent this ? Thanks. By the way I store them in the garage over winter.

2. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    This happens anywhere that the anodized "gold" coating is damaged. Basically you are seeing the aluminum either oxidize or corrode. You can't prevent this if the coating gets damaged, but I have found that you can fix it so that it doesn't get worse. Simply clean the damaged spot, grind out with a dremel if needed. Then use "liquid metal" to patch the area. It will stop corroding. I run old reels, and do this all the time.

3. restless

restless Captain

If you use reel covers leave them off when storing your reels. The only time you should use them is going and coming from the grounds.

F/V Bad Influence likes this.
  4. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Corrosion Pro will keep them nice after you follow Bobby's advise.

5. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Member

Thanks guys I have it ordered, Bobby is there a make or brand of this liquid metal ?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  6. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    JB Weld. It is intended as an adhesive, but it dries hard, and seals the exposed aluminum. I've even used it on the spool where the exposed aluminum was building up the white oxidation, and getting on the dacron. Worked awesome.

NightBite likes this.
  7. leaky

leaky Captain

Let me 2nd this - if you use reel covers throw them in the trash :). Seriously I freakin hate those things. A fishing reel is a tool, keep it in good working order but treat it like a tool - would you put a 1/2 inch ratchet in a salty wet bag so it doesn't get scratched - god no :).

The only good thing about reel covers are if it's rough and you got water drenching your reel when underway it will help slow that down, makes the drags go longer without needing cleaning - may save you a bearing or two in the long run, but putting the reels on the dry side of the boat and servicing them a little more often is going to go a much longer way.

Mostly what those stupid things do is instead of a reel that might get a few extra scratches on it, you've got a reel ridden with corrosion and actual functional problems.

Haha OK enough of that - but as far as the corrosion goes, how about just ignore it? Spray the spots down w/ WD40 and clean off any chunks of corrosion the best you can with a wooden object, wipe the real surface stuff away w/ a paper towel, and forget about. You will certainly get far less of those if in the fall you do a real good job w/ freshwater rinsing things down, allow to dry, then the WD40 treatment, but it's a tool, treat it like tool, keep it good working and ignore the cosmetic stuff.

8. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Especially a Snap On :eek: :)

9. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

I use this once a year on the rod/rollers/reel.
    https://www.qmaxxproducts.com/product/salt/
    or this:
    Marine & Boat Uses | Boeshield T-9®
    then just make sure i wash them with fresh water after every trip. to the OP - make sure you push drag all the way up before washing your reels, and/or when you are steaming and getting the saltwater bath from spray...this will protect drags from getting water on them...but only store them at zero drag pressure.

Old Mud likes this.
  10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I leave mine under cover till i get on the hook.