Cummins Marine Diesel Pricing and Availability

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by BillD, Dec 2, 2014.

1. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    There have been a couple of recent posts about marine diesel engine opinions. I received a couple of recent requests in my inbox asking for Cummins marine pricing and engine offering.

I had some time to kill over the weekend and did some $digging$ on the internet and came up with the following. The numbers are not to the dollar and can vary dealer to dealer but should be close enough for comparison shopping with other marine diesels and budgeting for repowers or new builds.

Genuine Cummins FACTORY NEW, non-exchange ReCon Engines:

These engines are for all practical purposes 100% new Tier I and Tier II. 2 yr./2000 engine warranty.

6BTA 370 Tier I with ZF220A gear....$28,900 +/- Figure a tad less $$ for the 6BTA 330 and quite a bit less for the 6BT 210/220. The 330 and 370 are priced close to one another and the 370 would be the "best buy".

QSB 5.9 480 Tier II with a ZF280 gear figure $36,500 +/-. Lower hp are available such as 380 etc, and cost less.

QSC 500, 550 and 600 are priced almost the same. Take your pick.
    Figure $45-$48K with a ZF286A gear and depending on configuration.

Please note: The QSC 600 needs about 3" less pitch than the 500 "like for like" and needs to spin up easily to over 3000 RPM (a solid 400 RPM more) than the QSC 500. But that makes it easier on the gear and a much lower idle speed in the harbor. This would be my choice as you don't have to use the HP if you do not want to.

The QSCs are also available as factory new Tier IIIs. The factory "new" non ReCon QSCs are obviously more expensive and ordering options are many.

QSL 9 liter 410-- New Tier 3 is about $ 50K with a ZF286A gear.
    "A best buy" if you are looking for an engine to run heavy hydraulics at idle and want upwards of 400 "close to continuous cruise hp" . If buoy racing is your gig choose a high hp low weight lb/hp engine.

QSM11 at 610 or 670HP with a ZF gear ZF325A figure $55-60K

QSB 6.7 550 Tier III with a ZF280A gear and single station digitals figure $45,500 +-. Lots of additional options on this package. Too many to list with pricing.

USA company, USA engineered, extensive USA wide dealer, extensive parts availability and a very large industrial and marine engine base worldwide and in the states.

Here's a few paragraphs of the most recent 3rd quarter 2014 Cummins financial report. It's interesting the report mentions "the growth in the commercial marine engine market"

Cummins Reports Strong Results for the Third Quarter of 2014
    Third Quarter Revenues of $4.9 Billion,
    Full Year Revenue Expected to Grow Between 10 and 12 Percent
    COLUMBUS, IN -- (Marketwired) -- 10/28/14 -- Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) today reported results for the third quarter of 2014.

Third quarter revenue of $4.9 billion increased 15 percent from the same quarter in 2013. The increase year-over-year was driven by stronger demand in on-highway markets and distributor acquisitions in North America, additional content growth for the Components business in Europe and China and higher engine sales to commercial marine customers.

Revenues in North America increased 19 percent and international sales increased 10 percent compared to the third quarter a year ago. Within international markets, stronger demand in Western Europe and China offset weaker sales in Brazil.

Cummins 6.7 liter Turbo Diesel was the first diesel engine in a medium-duty vehicle to be certified to meet Low-Emission Vehicle III (LEV III) Standards in the US

Here's a few promotional videos I found on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01t1TZRspN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLDwfj5pZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLDwfj5pZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t9-Kdx5axw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bnNPaSS9A

fwiw, Bill D

2. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    "Cummins Reports Strong Results for the Third Quarter of 2014
    Third Quarter Revenues of $4.9 Billion,
    Full Year Revenue Expected to Grow Between 10 and 12 Percent "

Sounds like they could afford to lower their prices a little, like maybe 10-12%...

Great info and presentation. I thought the higher hp engines were much more expensive. Wonder what % of their business is marine engines? Love the Merican made aspect.

3. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    About 4%. Do not look for them to "cut" prices on anything. As a matter of fact they went up 5 or so percent last year I believe.
    There are a lot of good things about Cummins Marine products but they have there skeletons as well.

4. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    Doesn't "everyone" ??:(

5. plowin

plowin Captain

Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Good research Bill. That will surely help anyone that is curious on cost but reluctant to make the call. Are those prices from Tony? Will he ship here and allow someone else to install the motor or does he have somebody on the east coast he uses?

6. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28, CuttyHunk 28 Molds
    Toolate, next time I need a contractor I will be sure to use you, as you will do the work for cost. Cummins has shareholders to answer to. And furthermore your a Gas-Head and should not be reading this thread.

7. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Prices seem a little cheap IMO. Esp on the qsm, the zf 325 is 11k alone.

8. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    If I made $5B last year I would offer you a deal for sure Gurry. With pleasure. I am sure they are competitive.

Are they just making 10% on each one?

9. twister

twister Captain

Boat Make:
    37 Mitchell cove
    Net 10% I'm sure, as a supplier to an OEM supplier I'm sure they are doing better than us for sure.

10. plowin

plowin Captain

Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    AS I have come to understand since putting my boat together with the Cummins QSC 8.3, the amount of money that it takes for testing in order to gain compliance with the new IMO/EPA standards costs an ungodly amount of money. I have no doubts that this is true given all the other red tape that we(USA) are seemingly becoming famous for. What I am saying is that I am not so sure that they are profiting as much money as we think they are. But, that is just a hunch. Believe me there are plenty of other things to crap on them about!!
    If I were an diesel engine manufacturer I would be in no hurry to reinvest a shit ton of money in new IMO/EPA technology when mister make it all "green" is in his last term(thank christ).

MDI45, Toolate, Eslang and 2 others like this.
  11. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    I agree, but He promised with his election, the rise of the oceans would slow and the planet would begin to heal -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pZSvq9bto

Sorry to ruin this thread, but just thought I would point it out:) If we are going to heal the planet, it's going to cost all of us a lot of money, even the boaters need to chip in, spread the wealth around, and do our fair share :rolleyes:

5akman likes this.
  12. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    In July 2008 I paid $38,000 for a brand new Cummins QSC 500hp with ZF286 transmission. I believe that engine was tier II compliant? Things have gone up a little bit since then, like about $20,000.

13. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    He helped me out with the pricing. His pricing on the west coast is similar to the pricing @ any Cummins dealer in the states.

To your question....Tony has ground rules that need to be completely understood before he gets involved with East Coast re-powers. A potential buyer would need to work with him directly and satisfy his concerns first before they'd get past 1st base with him. I've got to know him pretty good over the years. He doesn't sell on price alone. It's value added and the right solutions from the get go. Plus 24/7/365 support after the $money$'s been spent. Too me the proof is in the pudding with him. He's got no less than a couple of hundred commercial boats under his watch. Money producing boats and law enforcement :eek: that operate out there year round. No $down time$ in his vocabulary.

You've read his posts here, on boatdiesel.com and if you read his articles on his website you know how he operates. Nothing with him is "gray", it's all black and white.;)

fwiw, Bill D

14. plowin

plowin Captain

Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Good information, thanks!

15. Bigho

Bigho Member

Bill, did you give thanks to tony Athens at last Thursdays dinner? ;)

16. icemang

icemang Captain

Not to pile on, but what you said doesn't make sense. They are projecting a 10-12% growth in revenue, i.e. sales. What was quoted doesn't say anything about their profits.

17. Ol Gilnetter

Ol Gilnetter Senior Member

For what its worth, QSB6.7 480 delivered to my shop floor was $37,769.55, bobtail, smartcrap system etc, no electronic shifters though, but electronic interface to cables.

BillD likes this.
  18. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    Curious to what you mean ?

I had Thanksgiving dinner with my family last Thursday.

Pretty sure Tony had dinner with his.

19. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    I think it was a joke at your love of seaboard marine. Pretty funny actually. Gotta be thick skinned around here.

20. 8675309

8675309 Captain

BilD I'm working on a new boat build (not a DE boat) and the boat builder wants us to go with a QSB 5.9 480hp engine,

he's telling us that in Jan 2015 the cummins engine cost will go up 5% to 10% so he wants us to put a deposit down now. Does this sound about right? Thanks for your post.