Custom Tackle Center

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Fishonnelsons, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Looking to get a fiberglass tackle center made, approx 20 inch wide front, 36 height, 36 depth. Drawers on sliding metal hardware, approx. 20 inch length, maybe 4-6 inch depth. No door, but would have front push buttons.

Have a quote from Nautical Design in Pennsylvania. Trying to get Custom Marine Plastics in Rhide Island to call or email back. Sent an email to Boat Outfitters in Florida.

Would look like this but without the sink. New rear helm controls will go where sink is. Front to look like pic.

Any others I should try?

8099683A-8836-4FB7-9F47-A70584692CB7.jpeg
    D0D51973-D367-4ADA-B4F4-67CDFC2AFDBC.jpeg

2. tunafishhkg

tunafishhkg Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35 Duffy
    Had good luck from boat outfitters but horrid products from Nautical design that I posted about with pics long ago. Maybe they changed or are better but be careful and do not just believe their promises and open and CHECK before accepting shipment!! That does go with any of them nowadays though many shipping companies absolutely suck, they will get blamed for design issues. Good Luck

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Member

I would think King Starboard would be a better material for this application, i realize its not cheap stuff (neither is good fiberglass work) but if assembled with good joinery it would last a lifetime. I'm going to design and cut one on my CNC router table when the Dyer project is done and while i understand the desire for kitchen cabinet type slides i'm going to try and cut dado tracks for the starboard drawer bottoms to slide in that way corrosion is never a problem and the drawers are not sliding with the wave action.

4. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Well Nautical Design talks a good game, imho a very high quote though. Calling boat outfitters today.

5. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Good point on the slides, had not considered corrosion. I had an older tackle center made with the dado tracks and it just didn’t slide well at all. Maybe the people who made it.

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Member

Could be workmanship, could be the material used or just a poor design and so far I have not used the product but there are several items on the wish list for the Dyer that i intent to make out of starboard. I have been researching King Starboard for a couple of months to make a specialty line of RTA cabinets and its my understanding that dado type slides in that material get slicker the more its used, kind of like old wood slides used in kitchen cabinets decades ago. I believe somewhere in their website literature or videos they refer to the product as self lubricating but I could easily be confusing that with the literature in the Mermaid of the Day section.

frobo.1 and Fishonnelsons like this.
  7. EZ1

EZ1 Member

boat builder
    Boat Make:
    Freya
    I wouldn't be afraid to use Starboard for drawer slides, as long as you design them properly.

EZ1,
  8. South Shore Boatworks

South Shore Boatworks Captain

Mike at Custom Marine Plastics does beautiful work. He is not the easiest to get a hold of. You will be happy with the result as he has a lot experience in designing and building tackle centers

9. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Well I sent an email, he responded with one question, I responded, haven’t heard from him since, a week. His phone voicemail is full. I see them at shows, like the website and endorsements, he’s close, would love to talk to him but have to move on to others.

10. South Shore Boatworks

South Shore Boatworks Captain

I pm'd you Mikes number. It is best to get a hold of him later in the afternoon

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  11. Mahogany addict

Mahogany addict Member

semi retired woodworker
    Boat Make:
    19' custom wooden skiff
    A point of note, in many cases people that do good work are not always the ones that spend a lot of time on their phones and computers. In the early days of joining the web, one was supposed to have a web page, which allowed folks out of the region to shop. This created a scenario of time wasting answering questions and doing quotes to no avail.

Now I am witnessing that some of the better shops have web pages that goes months without an updates, as they are too busy these days with work, especially the smaller operations. Whether this is the case or not with Custom Marine Plastics or not I don't know. Word of mouth and speaking to previous customers can give you an insight into what to expect if possible. This will tell you if its worth what may appear to be a hassle.

12. wendell

wendell Member

I would include Powers Boatworks in your search. They're based out of NC and are an OEM supplier for Jones Brothers and Onslow Bay and a couple others. The interactions I've had with them have been great.

13. Squider42

Squider42 Senior Member

Could try Arrigoni in Connecticut.

14. Hobie1

Hobie1 Member

Boat Make:
    35’ donelle
    Had good results with boat outfitters used full extension stainless hardware, everything is sealed with a rubber bulb gasket, had the issues. Have a small tractor with pallet forks to off load freight delivery for a unit that size.

15. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Thanks, your comments are spot on. By pure luck I found one place, told them they didn’t show up on google etc, they said that’s ok, they have more business than they can handle.

16. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    They’re putting something together as far as design and quote now.

17. EDITFISHCOOK

EDITFISHCOOK Senior Member

Film Editor
    Boat Make:
    28 T Jason
    I had this built over the summer by a vendor in Fla. also got quotes from almost all the vendors you mentioned. PM me if you want details.

Attached Files:

Frank, Keelboater, Teaserhead and 5 others like this.
  18. Wesmac42b80

Wesmac42b80 Senior Member

19. cobia23

cobia23 Senior Member

Birdsall Marine is another one to check out.

20. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018