Difference between diesel from road side/dock vs #2 oil from truck

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by pennh2o, Jun 9, 2018.

1. pennh2o

pennh2o Senior Member

Is there a difference between the diesel from the dock or gas station vs the red #2 oil from the truck?

2. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Taxes ;)

Gomtuna and El Mar like this.
  3. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Dye .......... and taxes.:D

dnauhei likes this.
  4. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    I honestly couldnt tell you the difference in additives or quality, if there is any. When I was running a whale watch boat with triple 12-71s we would have the truck back up to the boat and fill us up with #2. The diesel we get out on the rig is gorgeous, clean, probably better quality than what I'm putting in my truck at home!

5. Fishinengineer

Fishinengineer Senior Member

Retired Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Duffy
    Taxes and the heating oil may have biodiesel added. In NY all of Long Island as of July will have at least 5% biodiesel. The sulpher content should be the same.

6. leaky

leaky Captain

After trying to read up on this and getting more confused I'm deleting it :)..

But I think I do have it wrong - #1 diesel seems to be something special, not what is sold on the road..

However also in reading it appears home heating oil and diesel are close but not quite the same, but regardless typical road diesel is not #1 rather it's a real low sulfur #2.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  7. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    that's news to me.

8. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    around here they call #1 diesel "stove oil" it burns a lot cleaner than diesel but not as clean as kerosene in my oil stoves and heaters. During the winter months our diesel is a winter blend of #1 & 2 but i don't know the percentage of each but i know it doesn't gel when it gets really cold.

9. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

the percentage of biodiesel in marine fuels will be intersting as it can be somewhat corrossive like ethanol in gasoline when it sits. A few advantages are higher cetane and extra lubricity

10. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    I don't want any, thank you. Right now, my fuel supplier says it is not part of what I'm getting. They are really f'n up the whole diesel thing with urea injection, low sulfur diesel and french fry fluid. I don't think I would buy a new diesel truck. Less problems with a gasser. Until then I will nurse my dodge 6bta along and hopefully you can bury me in it.

Kodiakan and steveinak like this.
  11. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Here is the scoop. Heating oil is going away for good. Currently its 2000 ppm of sulphur content. Mass for example will not longer be offering heating oil at the end of the month. Infact most terminals have already switched. We are just going to have one product. Its all going to be ulta low sulphur diesel...15 ppm. There will be dyed and clear product to identify taxable fuel. Here is a news flash for everyone. We all are using bio. Anyone that tells you there is no bio in the fuel is not correct. Currently, unless your bol says biofuel your bio precentage is about 4.7 percent. If your bol says biofuel it could be up to 20%. There is a huge tax incentive to blend bio fuel for wholesalers and retailers. The thing you shouod avoid is using animal based stock. You want plant based stock. Everything we sell is plant based bq 9000 certified.
    Steve your winter blend is 70% kero and 30% diesel.

12. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Leaky...it is a bit confusing. We have # 1 kero. Then we have #1 and # 2 diesel . The # 1 diesel is more commonly referred to as premium diesel because it contains an additive package. Then we have # 2 fuel which is heating oil.

Gomtuna, leaky and Blitzen like this.
  13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    You have been using it for better than 2 years. It is only slightly more water absorbant than diesl fuel , far cry from ethanol. Its corrosive as a b 99 or b 100 but in the % you use its actually a better fuel than straight diesel as long as you get plant stock. The money is stagering for blending credits. Over a dollar per gallon wholesale so you can bet blending is huge business and thay are going to stuff it in every product to max out on blending credits.

Gomtuna likes this.
  14. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    That 6bta will outlast the chassis 3 times over. Hard to kill that motor. Urea knocks down the particulate matter and the oxides. It is a much better solution than having the burner and regeneration issues that started in 07 and continued until 12 or 13. The prices of used trucks between those years is cheap for a reason. I think a lot of people associate ethanol with biofuel and they are very different. As long as you are not getting your biodiesel from a guy running around picking up restaurant grease, you wont know the difference except the fuel will burn cleaner and have a higher cetane. We have tons of customers running b 20 and they would never know without looking at the bol. 5 years ago no one wanted it, now it's everywhere.

15. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    As of July 1st....zero difference.

16. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
    Question for you downrigga,

So if a pure vegetable oil is used at my local KFC to make the extra crispy chicken, is that oil now comprimised with animal fats. And how would you be able to tell what the difference is. If the same guy/company doing the collecting may be combining french fry and oinion ring oil in the same vat as the stuff that came from the chicken place?

17. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    This is very interesting and highly informative.
    In NYC we have had 2% bioD for home/building heating since 2012 I think (not certain) and the NY Metro counties are moving to it by state mandate as of July 1
    Downrigga, do you know if this blending also applies to the Marine fuel we get?

18. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Restaurants have one container for pick up. Everything gets thrown in that container. There is a company in Maine that sells bio. When you call the number the recording says if you are calling for a grease pick up dial 2. It is not BQ 9000 certified bio fuel but plenty of it makes its way into fuel. For us, and many others we avoid these sources. We use sources that provide virgin plant based stock that is shipped from other parts of the world, like Brazil. It has never seen a grill or a frialator. Reason the plant based biofuel is preferred is once splashed blended it will take on the properties of the fuel like the CFPP for example. It has a much better tolerance for cold weather applications. You know what is in the fuel and your not going to smell like Macdonalds when you drive down the street. In the summer time you can run it at very high concentrations. You could never do that with animal stock because at 70 degrees you could stand a stick up in it.

19. LadyMaureen

LadyMaureen Captain

Boat Make:
    Wesmac

Amen brother.

20. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Think about this for a moment. If you pay a 1.30 for B 100 ( which is pure bio used for blending into fuel) and the government says I will give you 1.10 credit back for every gallon you sell you can bet you are going to blend it in every diesel product that is sold. The only reason why there was such a thing as " marine fuel " was to clarify the sulphur content of 500 ppm. Since refiners are now going to produce nothing but ULS diesel the marine fuel will be no different. If you are purchasing fuel that comes from a New England terminal it has a percentage of bio blended into the fuel. Anything that does not have a BOL that says biofuel by law must be blended under 5%.

The incentive for the blending credit is to create an infrastructure to make biofuel the norm. I can tell you it is exploding at a rapid rate. Just yesterday there was a packed meeting in Boston. Retailers are now going to get a 63 cent blending credit. Big business.