Difference between diesel from road side/dock vs #2 oil from truck

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by pennh2o, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    As of July, you will have ultra low sulfur dyed diesel delivered to your home splash blended with up to 20% bio. The major terminals use plant based bio splash blending.

2. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Thanks Downrigga and Fishinengineer.
    I am not against the blending. Just curious as I havent kept up with the new regs. Getting the sulfur and other stuff out of diesel is (in my opinion) a good thing.
    I know my fuel dock gets clean fuel with decent cetol ratings and they pump tons of it...Plus I suspect my 3208 could run on most anything.

3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    3208 is a good candidate for a cetane improver. Does it smoke?

4. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    In cold weather upon start up, yes. During the summer a whiff on start then nothing appreciable.
    Maybe add something in the colder months (Mar-April, Oct-Dec?)

5. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Per Marvin Griffin, President of ValvTect. "All fuels, sold under the ValvTect Marine Fuel brand, meet all ASTM specifications, including D6751 or BQ-9000 certification. ValvTect provides our chemicals to formulate ValvTect Marine Fuels. Certified Fuel Distributors under strict Quality Control guidelines buy diesel and add our marine products, thus formulating ValvTect Marine Diesel. The fuel may or may not contain biodiesel. Distributors pull what is available at their sources. Upstream Fuel Suppliers (pipelines, refiners, racks) comply with state and federal reporting of the use and amount of any biodiesel."

6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    That is a mouthful. They have strict reporting guidelines because money is involved. Any bio stock added to a fuel not labeled bio diesel is reported to the state and fed for credit purposes. Bio stock can be added to fuel up to 5% with no description on the BOL as a bio fuel. If the amount of bio exceeds 5 % then the BOL has to say bio diesel. There are issues being reported of DEF fluid crystalizing due to contaminants in the fuel in non BQ 9000 fuel.

7. leaky

leaky Captain

This sounds kinda like the ethanol and gasoline thing. Add some small percentage of renewable impurity to the fuel, with negligible benefit and it causes problems down the road. I think bio diesel and ethanol are great things, just nice to be able to consider and choose for the application. Marine engines are awfully expensive compared to their land based counterparts - and you got a lot less options when things go wrong "out there" versus on the side of the highway.

8. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

My 3208 is smoking more than previous years so tonight I added cetene booster as well as AJX. Question is, should I run this fuel out or top off the tanks? The current fuel is from last fall and though it was treated, it is obviously degraded. The tanks are about half full.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Top off the tanks and use the dose for a full tank. You can even treat the existing fuel at a rate of 1gallon per 1000. Add an injectiion cleaner and you will notice a nice difference.

10. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Actually leaky bio is nothing like ethanol. As i said above the associaton might give it a bad wrap. Restaurant collection also gives it a bad wrap. If it is sourced well like a lot of other products you can purchase its actually a value added fuel. I would argue that not using an additive package to stablize and improve the fuel you burn in a marine engine is way more harmful. If you can notice a differerence in performance your engine components are going to last longer.

11. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Will do. Thanks for the advice

12. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Looks like it's on the street at the Shell Hampton bays

Attached Files:

13. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    In Europe the minimum cetane rating is 51. Better combustion and efficiency with higher ratings.

14. ben2go

ben2go Member

I just want a cheap clean-burning fuel that won't turn into sour honey when the weather cools off.

15. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Good luck with that I’ve had nothing but trouble with my stove oil the last year. Due to the weather here our heaters run 12 months out of the year. I have not been able to keep a reliable toyo going. Used to be you would fire them up and forget them. My new one I bought last year has given me fits

16. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Is there any propane near you? Not exactly sure where you are.

17. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    Try adding some real kerosene to it, i run mine on truck diesel and they seem to do fine. I do run them real hot once a week or so to burn up any carbon from low settings.

18. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Kodiak Island; we have some of the most expensive propane in the country I'm told. $5.60 a gallon. i think electricity is 19 cents in spite of windmills and hydro. just an expensive place to stay warm. burnt wood for years til my allergies ended that.

19. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

will try the kerosene. i do use some of that in winter. Thanks........

20. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Wow that is expensive. I am selling it for 1.699 today. I agree you should try kero. I was going to say if you had propane, a rinnai heater is the way to go.