Duffy, Wilbur Hulls

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by johnp, Feb 12, 2018.

1. johnp

johnp Member

Can anyone tell me about the sea handling capabilities of a Duffy or Wilbur hull in the 35 - 38' range?
    I was interested if anyone had one of these boats that cruised 16 -18 knots and what their thoughts were. Thanks for any insight.

2. onthehook

onthehook Member

Do a search here, lots of great information on both.

3. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 36 and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    At 16-18 kts it is going to be hard to find any downeast boat that doesn't perform well. Both of the boats you mentioned were good boats but there are many variables.

4. Sonofasailor

Sonofasailor Member

Boat Make:
    1987 Wilbur 38
    John, I have a older Wilbur 38 fly bridge. Very reliable Volvo series 63 . Not the performance version so 317 hp so it's only a 12 knot boat. Very comfortable very soft ride. It's a downeast boat so expect some spray on the windows when it starts to get nautical outside. My friend also has a Duffy 35 with a John Deere 375 hp. Solid 14 knot boat. Also a great ride. Two great classic and proven downeast hulls. Good luck!

5. johnp

johnp Member

Thanks for your insight. I would like to move up from the Eastern 31' that I have now. I cruise at 14kts. in Long Island Sound and it will definitely get pushed around in a following sea with the short chop that is prevalent there. I was looking for a hull that would handle better in those conditions. I'm sure some of this would improve with just a larger and heavier boat but wanted to get some feedback on those hulls.

6. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    A JN 36 on LI. Been for sale at this price point for a while so there may be issues, or the listing hasn't been modified.

1977 Jarvis Newman Flybridge Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Same bullet-proof 3208NA as Mullysails JN36.
    The JN owners can tell you more about how it would handle the conditions we face on the Sound.
    Not a 14 knt boat though and perhaps too yachty for your needs.

7. johnp

johnp Member

Thanks for the notice on this boat. The yachty part is good but I would like a bit more speed. At 215HP, it's probably more like a trawler.

8. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Had a 34 Wilbur on LIS. Originally had a TAMD61 Volvo. Really couldn’t push over its bow wave. 12kts at best. Ended up running at 8kts because it was quiet, comfortable and efficient.

Replaced with a Yanmar 6ly and was a 16kt boat. Biggest issue is that with a fly bridge and cruising gear, she was heavy and really dug a hole. The Yanmar had enough power to overcome that, but not efficiently. The boat didn’t have lifting rails, which probably would’ve helped. Good sea boat with a nice motion. Lots of spray.

9. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Was just researching Duffy 35 and came across an old article in Google. It was on Downeast’s and had the original builders Richard Duffy and Lee Wilbur commenting on their boats. You might enjoy the read. Motor boating and Sailing
    Nov 1988. Outdated for sure but an interesting article

10. Sonofasailor

Sonofasailor Member

Boat Make:
    1987 Wilbur 38
    Can you post a link to the article?

11. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    You are welcome Johnp.
    Correct, probably at 10 kt boat.
    I have the 260 hp version, same as Keelboater. high cruise is 13-14kts at 2400 RPM.
    That said, without knowing what size prop the JN can handle, I suspect it wouldn't be hard to retrofit with a turbo version. Not certain the hull is made for 16+.
    Chortle or Hallelujah Im sure know more.
    Good luck.

12. Tuna Hotline

Tuna Hotline Senior Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    I fish on a 37 Duffy with a 700hp C12 Cat. Runs like a raped ape. 30kt top end, easily cruise 16-23kts.

13. Hallelujah Newman 36

Hallelujah Newman 36 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Jarvis Newman 36

Here are our numbers from sea trial. I believe we are close to 22x22 on the 4 blade prop. I do not have much experience with the boat above 15 knots. We run the boat between 10-13 knots. No issues up to 15 knots. Chortle with his new higher HP could probably provide more info. We like the boat very much for our purpose. I considered a re-power for more speed but I personally had trouble justifying the expense for a few knots and at 2300 hours the John Deere runs great and will probably survive me as long as we continue to maintain it. We are injected and with a turbo.
    Hope the info helps

From post May 2014
    Here are some numbers. John Deere 200 HP. 1950 RPM 50% load = 10.5 knots, 2200 RPM 60% load 12.6 knots. 2600 RPM 90% load 15 knots. The boat was not fully loaded, 100 gallons of fuel and 35 gallons of water and 4 of us. Hallelujah handled well and was notwet

14. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

Sorry, my Mac is in for repairs and I struggle to do pretty much anything with this damn smartphone. If you Google Downeast Boom 1988
    It will pull up the magazine on google books. It does explain the goal of the two hull makers very well

15. johnp

johnp Member

Thanks for all the advice. If you google Motor Boating and Sailing Nov. 1988, it comes up. Interesting article. I wish the prices were still the same for a new one though!

16. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Duffy & Duffy

17. johnp

johnp Member