Eastern 27

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Dbye, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Dbye

Dbye New Member

Hello, New member here. I am looking at a Eastern 27 Lobster. Boat is. 07 with Volvo I/o. It would be my first downeast style of boat. I have always had outboards and currenly have a 27 Boston Whaler. I am looking for a boat that I can take 50 miles off NJ sharking and inshore Tuna fishing as well as doing some wreck fishing and drifting. I'm looking for opinions on this boat as far as handling typical North East ocean conditions and seaworthiness. Thanks.

Dbye,
  2. Dbye

Dbye New Member

Sorry, I gues I should have posted in the Newbie section.

Dbye,
  3. blackdiamond296

blackdiamond296 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
    The 27 Eastern is a solid enough boat, but I wouldn't think that boat in an I/O would be enough of an upgrade from your current set up to get you any further offshore or much more seaworthy. The 27 Easter set up for outboards or I/O has a reduced keel so it's more a DE above the waterline than it is below.

4. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Not to bash the Eastern 27's, but to me they are not really that great of a hull...That being said, I think they offered it in a straight inboard too right or am I getting my model years confused? The I/O part I dont like, also get the weight of the transom for sharking out there. I believe I have ridden in both versions and like how the engine was center of the vessel seems to help out... Was weird, I think it actually had some old diesel that was a claim to fame was being in tanks or something, but you know how that goes, it was eons ago it seems like. It may be a downeast hull but definitely doesn't have the traditional benefits of one... just my opinion...

I'd take a look at the 25' General Marine with the Cummins diesel somewhere on this site and others...

SeaKarma likes this.
  5. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

I believe the molds to the 'old' version of the Eastern 27 are now owned by Judge. I assume that is the model your referencing, and not the 'newer' Eastern 27? They look to be two completely different hulls.

Unless your looking specifically at I/O or outboard boats, I have to echo Shawn's comment - look at that General Marine 25, or any of the other GM26's that are around for sale right now. Much more boat than the Eastern will ever be.

CEShawn likes this.
  6. Dbye

Dbye New Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll look at the General Marine or something similar mayb with a diesel.

Dbye,
    SeaKarma likes this.
  7. Med Sun

Med Sun Member

Boat Make:
    Maritime Skiff not a DE but built in Maine
    There is a 27 H&H for sale as well. Great boat.