Evolution drive stuffing box? Pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by SPINE-A-LINER, May 17, 2018.

1. SPINE-A-LINER

SPINE-A-LINER Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36'
    Any one here have/had one? Is there anything to watch for? Seems my seals just failed. Boat
    has to be hauled and new seals installed. Thanks for any input!

2. Genius

Genius Captain

I've seen a couple. Very ingenious design. Only thing bad I understand is monofilament/line taking out the rear shaft log seal. Supposed to be really good at reducing vibrations and I like the idea of the thrust bearing. But, it's a complicated system.

3. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    We have one boat here at the yard that has that system. So far so good.

4. BKay

BKay Member

I've got one - 8 years use and about 1000 hours. To get full advantage you have to make sure you've got proper attaching point for the thrust bearing and the proper engine mounts. I like the way it feels at anything above idle speed, but with the soft engine mounts I used I had too much vibration at idle. Seems to be a well built piece of kit - but I dread having problems with it.

The guys at Evolution were good to work with. They've answered a number of stupid questions from me over the years.

BKay,
    SPINE-A-LINER likes this.
  5. twister

twister Captain

Boat Make:
    37 Mitchell cove
    i have one, currently waiting for the guy to come take apart the prop end. its messed up and i don't want to wreck parts trying to get it apart to change some seals that failed. it was great until i lost a seal. if i were building a boat i could go either way, its a bitch loosing time for something that should be easy to fix.

6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I have one this boat, next boat will get one too. No vibration and very quiet. You have to change the oil in the shaft every year which is not a big deal. Changing the rear seal does not take to long and you can be back in the water same day easy. The guys from evolution are great and they will come help you if you have a problem.

7. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    I had one and liked it but didn’t put one in my current boat because of cost and maintenance. I was told they changed the design a bit and put a small pump in the bottom of the oil tank so it circulates the oil. Now it does not get hot and have to be changed yearly. When you do change the oil looks new not black tint from heating up.

8. Evo-Michael

Evo-Michael New Member

Glad to hear everyone enjoying their Evolution Marine Shaft Systems. I am the applications engineer for the system as well as boots on the ground doing services. While no one likes to hear the words maintenance it is expected that eventually the system will need some. Seals and seal races are wear components and are relatively easy to replace. However, the system is designed in a way the requires a haul out to work on. In most cases disassembled and reassembled for the system can be done in a day for the full system.

Old Mud likes this.
  9. twister

twister Captain

Boat Make:
    37 Mitchell cove
    had a service to the system. looks like my issue getting it apart was due to getting a rope wrapped up, it definitely happened before i had the boat.
    i will say once we got it open everthing went well and it was pretty quick.
    im looking forward to running the system not that it has new bearings, since the old ones were pretty chewed up.