Fish pickup location in NH piscataqua

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Bobby, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    First year out of the Piscataqua, do you guys know where BFT are brought in? I'm told that I have to get a commercial dock use permit to use (Hampton, Rye, or Portsmouth) but am just trying to figure out where that is in Portsmouth. Is the dock on Pierce island considered a commercial dock?

Also heard some guys use Wentworth and then don't need the extra permit, but my boat isn't there so I don't know if that would be more hassle.....

Thanks guys

Bobby

2. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
    I’ve seen all sorts of skiffs unload at rye. Seriously doubt all if any have a commercial pier permit. I think if your quick in and out there and not in the way you should be ok. Can’t see unloading at pierce island if your talking about the boat ramp.

3. SPINE-A-LINER

SPINE-A-LINER Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36'
    All of the commercial piers have cameras and if you drop off a fish you will most likely get a commercial pier permit use bill at the end of the season. I believe it costs $10.00 per foot. You can purchase one easily at Rye harbor. Speak with Judy Dubois. She will take care of you. All of the tuna buyers will go to either pier. I unload in Rye and Portsmouth Coop on Pierce Island depending on where I'm coming in from. The Ports. Coop has a nice winch as does Rye harbor. You do not have to go to the ramp. Good luck!

4. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    Thanks SPINE-A-LINER, I already have Judy's info and am heading there tomorrow. I also spoke with Linda at Chubby Fish this morning and she indicated that there is a spot that they pick up at Pierce Island, so I figured that must be the "commercial dock" that is covered by the permit. Just asking on here to confirm as she wasn't sure. Do you typically use the winch at the Coop, or are they able to back the truck to the edge of the dock? That's what we did in Newburyport, except for the several times that their truck was broken last year......

5. SPINE-A-LINER

SPINE-A-LINER Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36'
    Unfortunately a lot of times the buyers truck winch doesn't work(head scratching here). The permit gives you full access to the winches in both locations. The buyer usually will back his truck right up to the edge so you can use the winch on site to pull the fish into the truck.

6. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Hauled a decent amount of fish out of wentworth & it is a pita. Manual hoist is out on the fuel dock, the cart is way up in the parking lot. The gate is locking, 90% of the time it will be low tide when you are heading up the ramp and a lot of looky-loos, which gets old quick.

Much easier to lift them out of the cockpit and swing'em in the truck.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Cdux,
  7. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    The easiest place to unload is Rye, Portsmouth pier has two spots, as your looking at the dock from the entrance, left is the main dock where the fuel pumps are two cranes there, to the right just below the ice house is another spot to pull up just before the bridge. The current rips through there. it's easier for the truck to back up to the rail and pick up there. There are two cans as you enter, don't cut them.

Rob

8. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.