Fishing sticks

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Cdux, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    You will get all kinds of opinions on this and im sure none of them will be wrong. My strike is always set at 45#, often I'm over that after hooking up. If im not trolling my drag lever is backed off to 25#. Once I hook up I go right to strike position. Couple of things to consider. These fish heat up during the fight. The shorter the fight the less likely hood of line chafe. They respond only to pressure. Fighting them on light drag will increase the amount of time it takes to land the fish. After 45 minutes your burning fat. Think about where the fishes head is the entire time your hooked up. The guy running the boat has a lot to do with the length of the fight. Fight the fish in gear.Use the boat to constantly turn the fishes head. I will give you a couple of examples. When the fish runs you let it run. When they are not running is where you get even. Fish often will try to swim parallel to the boat when your in gear. Don't let it. Turn your boat away from the fish. You just put your stern against the fish and his head will have to turn toward the boat because of the pressure you just applied by the change in direction. Constantly turn the boat to control the fish, forcing the head to go places that make it harder for the fish to swim where it wants to. Another example is when the fish is directly under the boat straight up and down. Big fish will often be directly straight under the boat. Very hard to move the fish up when the tail is above the head and they are powering down with that big tail and all that weight. You can spend a lot of time trying to get it up with the rod. All you have to do is corkscrew the boat in a constant tight circle, increase your rpms, and the fish will have no choice but to come up. After a few minutes of positioning the boat in a tight fast circle, the head will move above the tail and as soon as that happens it will come right up to the surface in a pretty tight corkscrew. Drag is just one piece of the puzzle.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    NightBite and 30-06guy like this.
  2. Squider42

Squider42 Member

I see most fighting a fish from the starboard side, is there a reason for that, other than steering station? Is there a direction that the fish will dictate as to which way to make the tight circle during the end game trying to get a big fish up?
    Thanks for sharing these tips.

3. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

We are port side due to the cockpit helm. 90% of DE's are starboard for whatever reason (tradition from sail days?), always do a double take when I see a portside hauler.

Cdux,
  4. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

And 2nd what downrigga said. Used to let them settle into pinwheeling under boat & only manuver to keep the line clear. 2 years ago started towing them in a circle like described above and they do tend to pop up quicker for a dart shot. Took some getting used to but now I am fan.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Cdux,
    30-06guy likes this.
  5. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I think its just personal preference. Most people are right handed and fishing from the port side puts the fish opposite your right hand. Cdux is correct. It does take some getting use too but once you get the hang of it you will find it very effective on fish with an attitude.

30-06guy and Old Mud like this.
  6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    If your rod is in the starboard corner your going to want to circle to the starboard

Old Mud likes this.
  7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    For me it's something i have to do, fish the Stbd. corner. After much research (reading my past log books) I have come up with this. 83 % of the fish i have taken have been hooked in the left latch. That will make the fish swim counterclockwise when in the death spiral. and coming to the poon. Easy for me to stick em that way. That being said i use a 13' poon and don't throw it. On whatever pass that fish is taking i decide quickly if i need the push stick or the poon. I run it down 4 or 5 ft. down and wait for him to come back at the boat on his circle. Stick him and lean on it. End game. Just the way i like to do it. Not difficult at all.

NightBite, 30-06guy and Downrigga like this.
  8. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Out of things I log, hook placement (& frankly much to do with the fight) never occurred to me. There will be a lines for it this season. Great tip.

Cdux,
    NightBite likes this.
  9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    • One thing that i find interesting is that over 90% of my hook ups on the troll happen on the starboard side of the boat. I am convinced it has to do with the rotation of the prop and how the water spins away from it. I for the life of me cant think of another good reason. Do your hook ups favor one side or no?

10. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Drives me nuts to watch hard merch fight his fish from mid ship. Im with you starboard corner or go home.

Old Mud likes this.
  11. Squider42

Squider42 Member

So it would not matter if the fish was pinwheeling counterclockwise or clockwise, if I am fishing out of the starboard corner I circle to starboard (clockwise).

12. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

That's interesting that you use 45-50 pounds of drag at strike and stay there or slightly increase it through your fight. There were two reasons I was going to start low and increase the drag and then go into the fight around 30-35 pounds . The first reason is that was what I was told by a PEI captain. Thinking about our conversation, we are trying to accomplish different things. He's taking charters out for catch and release and I'm trying to boat and kill a fish. The other reason is reading Chubby Fish's Facebook page he recommended taking your time on a fish and it wouldn't burn. There seems to be two schools of thought. One take your time and baby them in and the other is to run them hard and get them to the boat as quickly as possible. I know that it's always been said that the quicker you get the tail rope on the better the quality of the fish will be so going in heavy on the drag makes scenes. Sounds like I would be better served running a heavier drag. I have heard to never let the fish swim with the boat, but I appreciate the other tips on getting them out of a down swim pattern. That's the kind of advice that make the difference between a fish in the boat and a chew off. Thanks .

13. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I'm from the school of get em in as quick as i can. My feeling is Time is your enemy when your fighting a fish on line with a breaking strength that is usually less than half the weight of the fish. Not to mention how much pressure that fish can put on that line when making a hellish run or head shaking.

Fred, i log everything. Mate or solo, Time hooked up, Time darted. Weather, who hooked up near me, fuel used, Weight of fish and price per pound. ETC. The good thing is when you get old you can look at them and you would be surprised how much you forget about any given trip.

Downrigga and 30-06guy like this.
  14. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    One word No !!, :) I don't troll . Most of my hookups come from my Downline. And that could be in any rod holder depending on current and wind conditions. Oh Wait !!, that's more than one word.:D

15. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Makes sense to me to get the fish in as quickly as you can. Do you start your drag at strike around 45 pounds like Downrigga ?

16. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    No i use 35# strike 45# just over and have my drags marked in a couple of different places. Have to remember those numbers increase as the spool gets smaller. Couple of times when my mate was worried after a couple of hours he cranked em to full. That wasn't funny but we still got the fish. It's all a matter of preference.

30-06guy likes this.
  17. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Thanks. I will have to play with it a bit and figure out what works best for me. It's funny because everything I have ever been told about fishing with circle hooks (except tuna) has been to let the fish take the bait and then tighten up the drag to set the hook. I would think that a fish hitting the bait with 30+ pounds of resistance would cause a few missed hook sets, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for any of you.
    Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

18. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Sorry Cdux, I didn't mean to derail your thread from the original topic of stick baits. I probably should have asked my question on drags in a new topic.

Rob

19. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

No worries, talking fishing is good convo no matter the thread title.

Mud kinda brought it full circle to last weeks topic on spooling spectra, on top of being bullet proof, its so thin you can have 400-500 yards out and be less than an inch into the spool. With straight mono at that point you're close to looking down & seeing gold gaps while pulling a ton more drag.

Cdux,
    NightBite, SHORT STEP and 30-06guy like this.
  20. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Yup. I agree it's all good conversation and you can learn a lot. The topics might be different but they all tie together. I appreciate people willing to share their knowledge on this forum.

Rob

NightBite likes this.