Fishing trip log

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by bluefin650, Dec 24, 2017.

1. bluefin650

bluefin650 Senior Member

FF/Medic
    Did anyone else get their nice little packet from Quantec (NOAA) for their "MANDATORY" fishing trip log? In it, they want my expense report for the season. Does that have to be submitted? Is it any of their business? They keep throwing out the "mandatory" part with CFR quotes for the fishing log but I feel that asking for my financials is a little to far???

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. restless

restless Captain

That's bullshit!!!! More government over reach. I had an observer on a hook trip recently ask all kinds of stupid questions that I felt intrusive. What brand and size hook, what type and size line etc. I gave the ignorant little bastard the most outrageous answers I could think of.
    I've tried to be cooperative with there surveys and requests for years . NOT ONCE has that information been used to help me! So now I throw their surveys in the garbage. If they say it's mandatory they will be lied to. I've had enough of the governments crap.

3. nickybandy

nickybandy Member

I went tuna fishing once this summer now I have to do them

4. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

there is a huge post about this exact subject on FB with many guys weighing in on their thoughts...most agree that whatever data gathered by the govt will, in the long run, hurt them or change the fishery in a manner somehow limits access in the future. but most still agree, if they are asking for it, you have no choice but to submit.... regardless, it appears to be a legit request as we have all gotten one. they did a telephone survey last year, only took 5 min...guess they need to create more jobs for this year in West Virginia or MD this year.

5. cb38

cb38 Member

I flat told them NO thats between me and IRS

cb38,
    Bill likes this.
  6. restless

restless Captain

They are doing what they have a history of doing. Laying the ground work to close the fishery. Been going on for years. One group at a time.

tuna_fan and Tuna Hotline like this.
  7. leaky

leaky Captain

Wow that's interesting. What permits are included in this?

Sometime within the last couple years I remember getting a letter that basically said selling fish was income subject to taxes :), ie some sort of warning to commercial permit holders indicating the IRS might start looking harder at us.

Financials seems a little too far for something "Mandatory" - but I guess in all fairness in order for them to get a clue on how to regulate a fishery such that it can be profitable they ought to be looking at the impact of daily limits and fluctuating prices. This year especially that is what everyone was complaining about with bluefin.

Jon

8. junkman

junkman Member

I think it has to do with finding out how we spend on fishing at local businesses so they get an idea of impact to the local economies. Something along those lines, and yes you are responsible to pay taxes on your income from fishing.

strikecharters likes this.
  9. leaky

leaky Captain

Yep that's right - the one person on that FB post who actually had information from attending the advisory panel meeting said it was being done because fishermen were stating there was an adverse economic impact to the way the fishery was managed and they are now going to study the economics...

There are of course a few other conspiracy theories about the whole thing from some very well respected fishermen, but the only credible information I was able to gather was related to studying economics - of course they could turn what they gather around on us later I'm not saying those who believe this is bad are wrong, I personally do not think they should be able to require we provided this type of information, just it does not appear that is the initial intended purpose.

Jon

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. BSizz

BSizz New Member

Not trying to be too much of a conspiracy theorist but an economic survey doesn't add up to me for a few reasons:

In the letter in the packet they state it's for potential regulatory purposes.

If it's for economics why do they need daily trip reports for every trip.....bait used, time left, hours fished etc.?

How come they need to know how much $ was made off of each fish? If it's for impact on the local economies wouldn't they just need an expense report for the year?

AND this is only being given to the boats that have landed 2 or more fish in 2016 & 2017. There are something like 5,000 general category permit holders. About 10% (or 500 boats) catch 2 or more fish. Why aren't they surveying the other 4500 boats with general category permits that caught 0 or 1 fish and also spend lots of money on gear, fuel etc. in the local economies?

11. junkman

junkman Member

Good points, guess it wasn't such a bad thing to not have a boat this season. They'll no doubt be on me for it this coming season. I don't think a week went by in 2016 they weren't after me for reports.

12. leaky

leaky Captain

Keep in mind an economics study would be (or should be anyway) used for regularly purposes - ie how to regulate the fishery right. If it's not used for regulatory purposes then it's a complete waste of time :)...

Edit: I read the letter online via Ryan's post, looks like maybe he was missing a page but basically got the 2 fish part. Maybe the guy that sold no bluefin was selling something else and they haven't got all the letters out yet.

Jon

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  13. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

Am I correct in understanding that this data/ survey applies to the 2018 season and not 2017’s season?

14. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

correct

15. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

Well FWIW. that 10% or 500 number is now 499 !! Im out. just can't take all the bullshit. To many years going to all the hearings hoping to make a difference and very little gained. Knowing all those meetings were not to "help me" but in fact Government mandated. Yeah we have to listen but our mind is already made up !!. I'll keep my raft, epirb, flare kit etc,etc but now i will be Shark fishing. Any By catch will be cut loose. o_O Sorry for the rant but Fu*kem !!

If boarded and asked "What are species are you targeting today" my answer will be Mermaids !!!!! I know they exist because i have seen them on DEBF. :)

Billyclub likes this.
  16. restless

restless Captain

A few years back I got boarded for the third time in a couple of months. The boarding officer asked "What are you fishing for today?" I replied "For the shear joy of it sir" They weren't amused.

Old Mud and Fishonnelsons like this.
  17. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I got my package, the first 5 months of reports were sure easy