Fortier 26, vs Seaworthy 28 vs Albin 28 TE

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by The Porgyman, Jun 20, 2018.

1. The Porgyman

The Porgyman Member

Hi everyone, new to posting but a long time lurker. Looking to get into the DE world finally!! These are the three choices I’ve narrowed it down to (although I am always open to new suggestions!!). I do my boating on the somewhat shallow south shore of Long Island. Have a young son who will be on the boat with me, and I’m looking at bay fishing plus some extended ocean runs and a few trips a year out to montauk and stay out a few nights. 60-80k budget what say you ?

2. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    28 BHM (Sea Worthy) all day long and into tomorrow. Call or email for the reasons. There are other boats I would chose over those three. 30 South Shore, 30 YB, 32 Holland, and AJ 28.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  3. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Agree with this although the Albin will have more creature comforts for your young family and possible be able to had cheaper as there is no Albin bubble.

4. restless

restless Captain

X2!!!

5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Speaking of the devil!
    28' BHM Ready for summer
    If in your shoes. Buy this run it as is, and use what I left of your budget on maintenance, changes, and upgrades during the winter.

6. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

7. The Porgyman

The Porgyman Member

Thanks guys! I love the looks of the Fortier but have read about its issues in following seas which worries me. I agree with El Mar on the Albins creature comforts and the mid cabin which would be nice.......but the BHM is a beast, any suggestions on power plants to seek out or avoid ?

8. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

You could start a war with that question. In that size I prefer Cummins, John Deere, and in some cases Yanmar.

9. The Porgyman

The Porgyman Member

Thanks Jerry!

10. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

No problem, never be afraid to call or email...don’t even think about texting me!

The Porgyman likes this.
  11. Genius

Genius Captain

I don't recall hearing about a Fortiers having issues in a following sea....Everyone says they are great boats, I'm surprised.

I try and stay away from Volvos. Preferences are cummins and yanmars.

12. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Not sure that my Fortier has “problems” in following seas. I have never felt in safe. You have to pay attention however that is the case in any boat that I have ever run in a following sea. Sail or power. I would like to talk with someone who likes running their boat in a following sea :)
    Having said that I think that all of the boats that you mentioned are very nice boats. I agree with El Mar that the Albin will offer the most creature comforts (especially on over nights) but will not hold its value as well as the others. My opinion only. The Fortier with its hard chine offers a very stable platform with a lot of great deck space for fishing, but will pound a little more in a head sea. It also holds it value very well. The true Down East boats will be better in a head sea but roll more on the drift. They also hold their value very well. Any choice will offer pluses and minuses and none will be a bad choice. Agree that the Cummins or Yanmar is the way to go power wise.

13. The Porgyman

The Porgyman Member

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!! Read about the fortiers following sea issue online so we know it must be true lol ;) Thanks again and keep it coming !

14. johnnywhale

johnnywhale Member

There are a couple Fortiers on LI Craigslist, there's also a 28 BHM, no creature comforts, price has been dropping steadily. Looks like a start to a project. It's what I'm looking for but I have to sell my boat first. Anyone want a nice old Donzi?

15. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

Fortiers have the same issue that BHM 28’s and JC 31’s have....you need to learn how to run the boat and pay attention going downsea. Not dangerous unless you’re out in seas that perhaps you shouldn’t be.

Many guys in the Chatham tuna fishery got their start in F26’s. They are incredibly able boats for their size. There have been a few 33’s with single diesels up for sale recently, those are great boats as well.

As with all boats it comes down to what OP’s main usage will be...for coastal fishing it’s a toss up between the Fortier & BHM for me, but if any sort of overnighting is in scope do the Albin.

Eastporter likes this.
  16. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
  17. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Sorry, I forgot about that. I would put that before the other two used boats I posted.

18. bobfish21

bobfish21 Member

Might stretch your budget, but I wouldn't rule out a 25 or 26 General Marine. A bit harder to find than a Fortier, seems to be a fair amount of the Fortiers showing up on the market here on LI. I've got an older 25 GM, keep her in Mtk- absolutely love the boat. the 26 came along a bit later, more creature comforts but same or better ride I'm told.

19. The Porgyman

The Porgyman Member

We definitely need to talk, she is absolutely beautiful, the wife loves it too.

Hallelujah Newman 36 likes this.
  20. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I am happy to talk about her and she is easy to show.
    I will PM you my number.

Diesel Jerry likes this.