Garmin 2010c issues

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Lobster.mike, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Lobster.mike

Lobster.mike Senior Member

Anyone have any idea why my unit would loose the antenna feed intermittently? I replaced the antenna at the suggestion of the local marine electronics shop but the problem still occurs.... most often at the worst times.

2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Did you splice the antenna into the existing cable or run it directly to the NMEA0183 leads? Those Garmins used RS232 for it's NMEA connections which means a common ground for both power to the antenna and it's RX leads, so a loose or corroded terminal would cause exactly that same issue.

captjohn likes this.
  3. Lobster.mike

I spliced the antenna wire into the cable. Exactly how it had previously been run. I'll have to check out the grounds.
    If I were to replace that unit, what would be a comparable GPS/plotter. It's only taken me about five years to figure out how to use it! I've got a ton of numbers stored on this one. Hate to loose them

4. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    I would do what I could to salvage that machine, it was probably the best Garmin unit they ever made. This was when they truly were 'user friendly', although I'll give you a pass for taking 5 years to master it, as there are a lot of buttons.. :D

But it was one of the last TRUE chartplotters ever made. I consider it to be even in the same league as the Northstar 95x plotters.. I have a feeling the problem is just at the original NMEA0183 connections, but if some reason I'm wrong, reach out and we'll talk some options.

5. Lobster.mike

I initially re crimped the antenna wires thinking that I must've missed one--they're about the size of a hair. There wasn't any difference. After using the machine for a few hours it just starts losing the antenna signal. Sometimes I can simply turn the unit off /on and it re gains the signal. Often it never comes back until the next day.

6. Lobster.mike

Headed offshore yesterday. Seems like the same routine for the Garmin. It's fine for about ten hours. Then it'll start completely losing the antenna signal. Could it be that it's heating up? Just throwing it out there...? It's really frustrating!

7. southshore30

southshore30 Senior Member

firefighter/charterboat captain
    Boat Make:
    Calvin Beal/Southshore 30
    Do you have the resistor spliced in? I put a newer antenna on my 2006C last year and it was a faster antenna than the gps could take so Garmin included a resistor in the box to use. Goes on orange wire if I remember correctly. They are great units and easy to use. Mine was giving me similar issues. It would lose signal intermittently and it was a real pain. I upgraded this year to a newer Garmin 1042xsv and was able to transfer every track line and waypoint over to the new unit by connecting the two units together and doing a transfer. Nothing lost

8. Lobster.mike

I do not but may consider doing so. The problem has been plaguing me for a while... even with the original antenna. Maybe I'll pull out the box and take a look at the manual.
    How do you like the 1042?

9. southshore30

southshore30 Senior Member

firefighter/charterboat captain
    Boat Make:
    Calvin Beal/Southshore 30
    Love it so far