Getting the best quality out of your fish?

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by 30-06guy, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Duke

Duke Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Dyer 29
    I'm wondering about the push stick. I use an 8 foot harpoon.

Duke,
  2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Best push stick option I saw was about an 8' pole with a bronze oarlock neatly fastened on top of it.

I don't catch giants so cant speak to its effectiveness, just though it looked like a good option for pelagics.

30-06guy, Old Mud and Duke like this.
  3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

Yeah that will work also But, it better be polished like a Baby's Ass. :D

This is what i use. 3/8" cres. 316 L polished SMMMooth. its about 7 ft, long. I use it when fishing solo. Works great when your not neat the helm, keeps the line off the chine.

Of course I have this 2" line guide around the transom so the line won't get fouled or even touch any running gear. 5 ducer.jpg

. IMG_3410.JPG IMG_3411.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    30-06guy, El Mar and Duke like this.
  4. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    Back on the "taking care of your fish"..... I have been working at swimming the fish to cool em down, trying to see if I can really effect the price, and have had my struggles. For the guys that swim them, or know boats that swim them, how tight are you lashing them to the boat? I've tried to give them some slack so that they can move relatively freely, and have created several problems: I tried one of those huge swimming hooks that is like a carabiner, and promptly beat the crap out of the underside of my boat, gouges right through the gelcoat. Got rid of that and rigged the swim line around a forward rail so the fish cannot get back near the motor, I leave the tail rope attached but loose, and the fish generally swims nicely along with the boat, but can also go under the boat....This resulted in the fish running the line along the bottom edge of the boat, and cleanly removing all bottom paint and barrier coat on the edge.....so that isn't going to work. Only solution I can see is to lash them fairly tight, so the fish can't really swim, but then what is the point?

30-06guy likes this.
  5. restless

restless Captain

Are you tying a poly ball tight to the tail?

30-06guy likes this.
  6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Personally speaking, if I were to tie them loose its a mess. They thrash against the hull and the water gets in between the hull and the fish and they twist all over the place. I tie head and tail tight and no slack. I take a wooden hockey stick handle with a notch in the end and push the loop end of a rope through the mouth and out the gill plate. I feed the rope though the loop and tie it off to the tower leg so the mouth is under water. Then I tie the tail rope to the stern cleat. I think the term swimming might be a bit confusing. Not really wanting it to swim but rather want water flow into the mouth and over the gills. Keeping the boat in gear will prevent the fish from rocking against the hull and also force the water into the mouth. Im sure having a low shear hull makes it a bit easier for me but on rough days it takes some doing to get it set up properly.

30-06guy likes this.
  7. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    No poly ball on the tail. I've worked out something similar to get the rope through the gill, I use a long piece of delrin (flexible, strong, plastic) with a clip attached to it, I attach the rope with a small carabiner, then insert the opposite end into the mouth, out the gill, grab the end, and just pull it through. That works slick, but sounds like I'm way too loose. I just need to figure out how to keep the head down if I go tight...I definitely been actually swimming them. Have had some decent $ results, but it's a pain the ass, and I can't tolerate beating up the hull by putting hardware to keep the fish down....

30-06guy likes this.
  8. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I would have thought that the fish would get beat up a bit against the side of the boat. My plan was to swim them a good bit behind the boat but maybe that's not the best either. I was under the impression that "swimming" them meant that they actually had to swim to get the lactic acid out of the blood. Do the fish not get beat up along side the boat ?

Rob

9. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Like Downrigga said "swimming" is you swimming it not letting the fish swim. If you've ever brought up a fish tail wrapped it usually comes up like a ton of bricks and dead, or close to it. You need to head hook it tail rope it and get it moving. Sometimes it will recover and get some color back. That's because it was held head down and can't breath well. Fish that are still lively you can get away with just tail roping and hanging off the back for a bit while you get everything cleaned up and put away.

Then "swim" it back to your ball. Bluefin aren't perch, they swim with their mouths open forcing water across their gills. Perch, aquarium fish can pulsate their gills to move water across them.

Rob

30-06guy likes this.
  10. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I had seen a couple of videos on YouTube and they just had a rope thru the mouth and out the gill plate and were pulling the fish behind the boat and letting them swim on there own. I understand running them mount open through the water would put oxygen back in the blood. I just thought they had to wiggle a bit to help pump the blood thru the body and liver. Kind of like when a marathon runner crosses the finish line. They usually walk around a bit to help cool down and don't just sit down and relax. If tying them off to the side of the boat and pulling them through the water is what works then I will give it a try. Do the fish not get beat up a bit along side of the boat?

Rob

11. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Don't over think it and use you best judgment, if it's rough, I pull it along behind, if it's nice I tie it along side, if it's still lively I just tail rope it and let it swim awhile. I don't think there is a perfect answer. If I dart it I tie that side to the boat, then that side down when I haul it aboard.

NightBite and 30-06guy like this.
  12. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Sounds good. I was just concerned with taking a nice shaped and colored fish and marking it all up with the boat. Thanks for your reply.

Rob