Gurnet Point 25 Pilothouse, Outboard

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by joefish, Sep 3, 2018.

1. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    This is the only boat I would think about getting rid of my Crowley 23 for. Have loved it for a long time. That’s a great looking cruiser you have there! I love the efficient use of space and the open step down into the cabin.

joefish likes this.
  2. joefish

joefish Member

Boat Make:
    Gurnet Point 25 RiverPro Jet
    Thanks, CapeCodNorton.

I believe what you're referring to as the "open step down into the cabin" is the way the bulkhead has been removed on the port side between cabin and v-berth. This was a DIY project on many C-Dory Cruisers using a Sawzall. The bulkhead was not very substantial or load-bearing on those boats. The Fortier 33 may have a similar layout(?). I like it because it gives the cabin a more open feeling and makes the galley and v-berth less cave-like. Heat and AC circulate better throughout. It offers a solid hand rail in many situations and it's solid enough to sit on the 4 or 5 inch shelf to look aft out the port sliding door. Maybe best of all it's a comfortable place to prop up your legs or set a drink (may have to add drink holders) if you're sitting in the port passenger seat.
    IMG-6693.jpg IMG-0193.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    ErikT, CapeCodNorton and Henfruit like this.
  3. voodoojfb

voodoojfb Member

Boat Make:
    22 Tripp CC
    Who was responsible for the particulars involved with the floatation bracket? Curious about how the choice is made on the positioning & length of the side extensions coming off the flotation portion.

4. joefish

joefish Member

Boat Make:
    Pretty sure it's a Hermco fiberglass bracket but it was put on a couple years ago so I don't recall the specifics you're asking about. I think SeaKarma has a similar bracket. He might be able to help you. Plus he's got a fabulous looking boat! I used a number of his choices for this boat, like the bracket, lighting, etc.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  5. Larry7777

Larry7777 Member

Love your boat!
    Well done indeed!!!
    Larry 7777
    25 Seaway coastal cruiser

joefish likes this.
  6. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Hey Joe.
    I know this build has taken a loooong long time, did you get that extended sea trial in? How did it perform?
    I also see that you have the zipwake tabs. I suspect there will be interest in knowing how they worked in your particular boat.
    Finally was the trailer correct for this application?
    My guess is that your boat will be a poster child for the boat Co and they better get everything right.
    Cheers

7. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Nortern Bay
    did this boat ever get sea trialed, would love to know how it performed and the #s

joefish and Eastporter like this.
  8. joefish

joefish Member

Boat Make:
    Sea trials were a success. Being the first version of this hull with an outboard, there was much to learn. A great deal of time and effort went into the setup of this boat as far as prop size, engine trim, and especially weight distribution. In the end, no extra weight was added to the bow because her tendency, under full throttle is to lift the stern and push the bow down. This is controlled by trimming her up. While she does sit slightly stern down, we had four men in the cockpit and only a small amount of water accumulated there. That seemed fine to me. Not adding weight is the best option whenever possible.
    Port and starboard balance was quite good after much initial planning. Fine tuning was done with placement of equipment being stored. The ZipWake "tabs" are helpful once underway as passangers change position from side to side. But there is really too much to take in at this point to evaluate and use the ZipWake to its fullest potential. Need more time on the water adjusting speed and trim before adding this third "active" variable.
    All systems were functional except the AC which has power but does nothing. Electronics are amazing and will provide lasting fun trying to learn how to use them. Radar (4G), 3D fish finder, AIS, and autopilot, are all new to me and will definitely add enjoyment and safety while aboard.
    The teak woodwork is beyond comparison, as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I just sit in the boat alone and stare at it. Because we were pressed for time, there was a fair amount of sawdust everywhere so I got to vacuum every square inch of the teak. I was humbled by the fine work that I saw. Somewhere someone might do better teak work than Bob Fuller, but I don't ever expect to see that.
    The trailer, a Loadmaster, seemed great at first, is solid and well thought out with the extendable tongue being a nice feature. But the continued need for adjustment is frustrating especially when it's not clear what to do next despite the boat riding with the bow about 6 inches from the bow stop.

Attached Files:

ErikT, Blitzen, Keelboater and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Looks great Joe. Did you get any performance numbers?
    Also....Is the boat still at the shop? Id get them to do the needed mods to the trailer before you take it home.
    Like I said earlier, your boat is the template and I am certain that many others will want a similar set up. I know I do!

PS what are you using on the teak?
    On my wheelhouse and forward cabin floor I use teak oil, the rest has 3 or more coats of Epifanes high gloss and then 2 coats of Epifanes matte.. Herreshoff, Im certain, would approve..

Cheers

joefish likes this.
  10. joefish

joefish Member

Boat Make:
    The numbers: Top speed 24 kts @ 5400 rpm. Requires active adjustment of trim. ZipWake may help. I was quite pleased. Yamaha recommends full throttle be at 5000 -6000 rpm.

Of note: On our way in Hot Tuna, of Wicked Tuna notoriety was headed out. She is a large Dixon and puts out quite a wake. The four of us braced ourselves but Matilda E took it like a champ. She may not be a speed demon but is built like a tank!

Thanks for the teak care suggestions. Love your Bruno Stillman!

11. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Agree with having trailer right. I noticed that the bow bunks came with the trailer and were removed. They are necessary with this type of hull and with the placement of the primary bunks so far astern. I would not want that beauty rolling down the road with the bow that close to the forward crossmember tie. It could get damaged. It will be easier to keep the boat centered on the trailer that way.

12. joefish

joefish Member

Boat Make:
    The trailer is awaiting fitment and Virginia inspection before launching in home waters. For those who keep their boat at a marina you should be grateful that you avoid these problems. Although I've always had trailerable boats and enjoy the variety of destinations that affords I've also had numerous problems/breakdowns. And I have to add to that numerous hair raising trips, including bringing this boat home. Big plans were made to avoid NYC as I made my way from Massachussets to Virginia crossing the Hudson at Newburgh. Everything was going well until I got into NY State. Google maps directed me away from multiple accidents but closer to the City. As I approached, my last option to avoid the Big Apple was the Hutchinson Parkway but at the last minute I saw a sign, "Caution: Low Clearance 9' 4" That was not going to work and I quickly redirected. That was all she wrote as I headed for the George Washington Bridge, in traffic, at night, in the rain, pulling an 8000 lb boat. If you've made that trip you know it's not just going over the bridge that's stressful but the 45 minutes or so before and after. Alls well that ends well and we made it home safely. Boat Trailer Van 2.jpg I still say that for boats kept in the water every trip has to begin and end in the same place. But there is a price to be paid for trailering a boat to new destinations.

ErikT, frobo.1 and winterking like this.
  13. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Goddamned. If you HAD taken the Hutchinson River Pkwy, where no trailers are allowed regardless of height, you could have faced a huge fine. Glad you bailed out. Dodged a 2500$ bullet.
    Did you stay on 95/Cross Bronx?? Its a tough road indeed..
    While its water under the keel now, the Tappan Zee would have been a good option. 3-4 lanes in both directions.

Boat looks really great Joe.

joefish likes this.
  14. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    joefish,
    Beautiful, beautiful boat. Really like the lines and the interior is amazing. Enjoy.
    I, too, had some fits and starts finding just the right trailer for my 24 Seaway. I worked with original dealer and the representative from Venture. In the end, we found a combination of I-beam length, rollers with height adjusted brackets (instead of bunks, which I'm sure will draw some comments, but the bunks were just too challenging) and bow support that not only cradled the boat just right, but also allows pretty easy launch.

joefish likes this.
  15. joefish

joefish Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks, SC.

A "bow support that cradles the boat just right" sounds good. Do you have any pictures?
    We still haven't come up with a solution.

16. Spence

Spence Senior Member

SC, Under my SW 24 I'm using an all roller aluminum Venture trailer as well. I find I have to winch (electric) most of the boat's length on to the trailer to end up square on the trailer. If I submerge the trailer too deep the boat drifts out of square. While this is slow it does allow me to operate from flatter/shallower ramps. I don't have a bracket so don't know how that affects the situation.

joefish likes this.
  17. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    Pulling the boat out of the water on Saturday, so I'll try to post some pictures with details on the empty trailer and the boat loaded.

Spence - I do find that the stern drifts a little at first, but seems to center pretty quickly once I've pulled it about halfway up. The first trailer that we tried had bunks and the problem was much more pronounced.

18. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

joefish and winterking like this.
  19. tro7278

tro7278 Member

I Finally got my boat on my trailer on Friday. My trailer was delivered at the same time as yours and saw your boat and trailer when I was picking my trailer up. Load Master makes a bow stop/support you can see that on mine. I had not adjusted it yet in that picture but it is very nice. If you need I can take more pictures. I removed the mast to trailer it. I want to buy/have made a new one that can be hinged

Tim.

Attached Files:

joefish likes this.