Holland 30 Bench Advice

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Laxman2514, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Laxman2514

Laxman2514 Member

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of trying to design/have built a custom mahogany stern bench. The gas tank on my Holland as with most Hollands I have scene is located in the transom so I do not want the bench to be a permanent fixture back there. My initial thought was to potentially attach a hook & eye brass latch to the gunwale and the bench. Additionally, the bench would be built to fit into the space as snug as possible.

Would really look forward to hearing any insights!

Attached Files:

Aotea, IPA1, chortle and 3 others like this.
  2. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    1995 Morgan Bay 29 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Check out the custom transom bench on this 29' Morgan Bay. I like the looks and could easily be taken out as the legs appear to go into a bracket made of wood. I'm sure the top of the bench can be removed if it slides into the seat.

3. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Kittery Yacht Yard is currently fitting a bench seat into a 32 Holland. Check with them.

4. Genius

Genius Captain

Nice looking boat!

Laxman2514 likes this.
  5. Laxman2514

Laxman2514 Member

Thank you for the replies, I was hoping to actually complete this myself, building the bench not so much the issue, just need to figure out how to keep the darn thing secure!

AW_Holland32 likes this.
  6. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Beautiful boat Laxman. 2 years ago I designed and had built a stern bench, well a pair actually. It turned out well, but not the homerun I expected. I learned a few things in hindsight, the most important being: make a mock-up of the bench (or a portion thereof) to test before you build it for real. You might be amazed what a difference just a 1/2” in height or depth can make, or the height or slope of the back, if you choose to have one. Buy some cheap plywood and drywall screw a fullsize piece to sit on. You’ll be glad you did.

Laxman2514 likes this.
  7. Laxman2514

Laxman2514 Member

Thanks for the reply ArchHibb! How did you secure the pair of benches you designed?

8. tomchess

tomchess Member

retired carpenter
    Boat Make:
    jc 31
    I made this one out of ash. Built a template out of plywood.built itin my basement glued up with West epoxy Made in two seats so I can move them/remove when fishing they stay pretty well put underway 06CAE0AB-490F-498B-8AB4-834FDFB0860A.jpeg 0DF0E7B6-489D-438D-AA4D-1DC5F699EC90.jpeg CE1F72C5-FD98-449E-9644-9DF6DB79260C.jpeg 553C9C01-8CDD-4A9A-A533-11746806C72C.jpeg 9508BE53-E86F-4F94-ACC7-90A905ECDF8F.jpeg

9. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Oh nice. I agree keep it loose so you can take it out.

10. aegus15

aegus15 Senior Member

Retired, local 17 Boston
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy / 18 Eastern
    ....tomchess, that bench is beautiful, feel like making another one ? Lol , that s just what I am planning for our duffy so I can remove the permanent one that there now......very difficult to fish with the existing one, but can t remove it til I make a new one for my wife lol.....she certainly would approve of the one you made, very nice work !

Laxman2514 likes this.
  11. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Laxman -

Just like tomchess, I wanted the benches movable, so they are not secured. Believe it or not, they don't shift about, even in nasty conditions. Having storage in them makes them heavier, so perhaps that helps. Obviously, they follow the curve of the transom, but one end is also angled so they fit the transom when pushed to the sides. I've come to wish they didn't have the tall back; makes climbing over them to reach the swim platform a bit awkward. Need some cushions, but that's you-know-who's job... ;)

Attached Files:

guitarman and Laxman2514 like this.
  12. yanmar

yanmar Captain

Boat Make:
    26 chesepeake 22 tripp
    How about rubber on the bottom of the feet to eliminate the sliding . I do this with coolers and it works rather well .

Laxman2514 likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    EC9E1FA1-6FD4-4A05-A680-0D639A522C5D.jpeg R
    I have a Rosborough 246 and bought a teak garden bench that fit perfectly the aft end of the cockpit. It does not slide around and is easy to step over to access the swim platform. The bench I bought fits the entire width of the cockpit with about 2” to spare. It is easy to remove when we are fishing and for winter storage. It came with a cushion as well.

Aotea, chortle and Laxman2514 like this.
  14. Laxman2514

Laxman2514 Member

Thanks again for all the responses, really helping me narrow down some specifics.

Sounds like best plan of attack is just to focus getting the fit perfect and will not need to secure it down.

15. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

I wouldn’t underestimate secureing it down. This setup was done by kpyy and had to be resecured after the first season. It gets a lot of upward force as the stern bucks in rough water. And having to tie it down in said rough water sucks. My dads old boat we have a dock box with some custom cushions and it’s attached with an L bracket and to the floor with an easy to remove bolt on each side. Personally I like that setup more for the storage but it’s a bitch to remove. Any fishing we do is very casual so we almost never remove it. Archhibb that split setup is really cool. Sorry don’t have a great pic

Attached Files:

16. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Build the bench close to full width and have the back supports close to the side cockpit coaming so that you can fit a starboard wedge in between the support and bench and then you can run a bronze carriage through tye back support, the starboard and the lower part of the coaming and put a washer and nut (wing nut) on under the side deck. Doesn’t need to be super tight. Essentially it’s a captive pin. One unobtrusive hole on each side through the glass.

I would also suggest putting starboard pads on the legs to keep them from constantly wicking moisture and ruining varnish. You mentioned mahogany so I am guessing varnish.

17. tomchess

tomchess Member

retired carpenter
    Boat Make:
    jc 31
    I put small rubber pads under the legs I also sized the benches to fit the contour of the transom, radius and splayed out the sides snug fit. It moves very little even in rough seas. I also left the fronts open so I can fit coolers or totes under the benches this also limits any movement

18. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    tomchess - That seatback is exceptional with the continuous grain crossing between the two sides. Did you laminate it to achieve the matching curve or is it solid stock bent?

19. tomchess

tomchess Member

retired carpenter
    Boat Make:
    jc 31
    Laminated in 3 pieces. You have to account for a little spring back I made both seat and back as one piece then cut in two halves

20. chas

chas Member

Boat Make:
    Holland 38
    Good luck with your bench. Looks like you got lots of good ideas. Great looking boat - was owned by my brother for last 15 years or so. Cruised with her several times in Maine. She always enhanced the view and drew complements everywhere we went. There's something special about the look of the 30. Where's her new home port?

chas,