Interesting Lobster industry video

Discussion in 'Commercial Fishermen's Forum' started by Blitzen, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
  2. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

interesting to see the two different generational outlooks. To be expected, I guess.

another thing that is interesting is Flowers Boat works 46. 900 HP V8 Scania. Guess I must've been under a rock for a while, didn't know that hull was yours. Congrats on the new build!

Fish220sr and Blitzen like this.
  3. Pedlyr

Pedlyr Senior Member

Port Engineer
    I fished for over 20 years and remember the Southern New England lobster fishery well, back in the early 80's. I also remember how scarce Striped Bass and Scallops were. Now both are back stronger than ever. I have recently found interesting reports of signs of Haddock as far west as Long Island. In the summer. Haddock which I had to go to the SW part of Georges back then to catch my first one.

4. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Didn't realize you were a lobster fisherman in the past. Thanks for sharing the video, very interesting. I was in Stonington in September, I saw the vessel in the video, "Money Shot". Really nice, big boat.

plowin likes this.
  5. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    We have been riding a boom of lobsters for about 15 years now. During this time, groundfish were at a all time low. There were a lot of factors that gave us fishing we had never seen before. People cant expect the landings to keep climbing every year. For a number of years there was no reporting, so no one really knows how many lobsters were landed, and when mandatory dealer reporting went into effect, the landings happen to increase considerably. I don't think the resource will be the problem, it will be the feds with the reduction in bait and constant whale regulations. But who knows, things can change over night. I know we have stuff growing on the traps I have never seen, and things like starfish seem to be completely gone. Usually this time of year the sea fleas show up, and no sign of them either. The amount of lobsters being landed this year from the offshore boats, area 3 , Gulf of Maine , Georges Bank, is crazy. They catch in 5 days what a small boat inshore catches all year.

Overkill and Blitzen like this.
  6. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I saw another video related to the warming conditions in Maine which basically stated the same thing. I guess that is the bubble breaker so many have been waiting for, but it's a ways off. I did recognize a few CT lobsters in that video, so give it a few years. ;) But once that last lobster crosses the international border I'm sure it will already be well into an ugly market. That is very unfortunate for those who work in the industry, but at least people can plan ahead for career changes down the road..........providing they are believers. I see what happened here in CT, but up in Maine it will be crippling..........providing it actually happens. Here's hoping it doesn't.

7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    It all sounds good about planing ahead for a career change until you think ,Hey wait !!, There are no other careers up here. No other industry to fill the void. Many town's were built around fishing. Herring, Mackrel, Ground fish ,Urchin etc. as those fish stocks dried up the lowly Lobster has the helm now.

Young men even with their big money boats and homes will survive ok but perhaps not here. The unfortunate part of that is the many generations these family's fished will cease. No following in your Fathers footsteps. Towns will go back to the land much as the old Gold mining towns have done.

Older folks, well i don't know. Maybe a few will stay till the end having been born here and living their whole life here. Maybe telling stories to the few Tourists for a few bucks to buy groceries.

Sorry for the rant, just thinking outloud.

Eastporter likes this.
  8. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    I fish in general the waters surrounding Cape Cod, primarily Cape Cod Bay and Stellwagen Bank. The surface water temps have been getting to some "scary" temps the past few years, this year being the worst. There where Mahi on Stellwagen this year and pilot fish circling lobster gear. Many days it was a struggle to get a bait jig down past the bonito. This was the first year that I saw my home harbor overrun with bonito crashing baitfish. I used to only catch a few a year while mackerel fishing. The warmest surface temps I saw north of Cape Cod where in the 77+ range. I would say from late June through the end of September the surface temps stayed above 70. 5 years ago a surface temp of 70 on Stellwagen was about the warmest it got, for maybe a week. In some cases this year, Lobsters where dying in tanks because of the pumps feeding them warm surface water, so coolers with ice had to be used. Same goes for the baitfish, and the live sea scallop market. I do find it interesting however that these were only the surface temps. I would be interested in see how much the bottom of the water column has changed. We had a windy stretch in october that brought our surface temp from 65 to 53-54. It has remained at 53-54 since then. Perhaps our deeper waters will protect us.

Bill and Eastporter like this.
  9. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    I've been following the trends on global warming and must admit the science doesn't lie. The water temps are getting warmer along with the overall temperatures. I worry about the livelihoods of fishermen, as the fish move to colder waters- most likely to Canadian waters. What happened in southern New England will most likely move to Maine in the next ten years. Sad to say, but seems to be true. I just saw a report that global warming is impacting insects- this may sound like it doesn't concern you but... insects like bees are pollinators and make plants/fruits/vegetables grow. Without bees you won't have the plentiful food sources you have now. As a skier I've noticed less snow fall than in the past- although there were years as a kid we did more skating than skiing.

Old Mud likes this.
  10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Here is a place i have been following for 15 years or more. Lots of info as WT, Current direction speed etc. down the water column. Their redoing that site right now but some info. is still available. Yes it is All changing. Go to their history and you can compare.
    GOM Bouy weather

Pedlyr likes this.
  11. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    late summer I took a ride down to Groton CT to look at a 1993 29 H&H.
    Boat was owned by a nice gent in his 70s.
    Boat is docked on the river between the Groton Sub base and Electric Boat.
    He was telling me about "his lobstering days" from that dock with his H&H way back in the day. Crushed them,...hasn't been lobstering in years and years....no lobstering left.

Way back in the day we had a thick ice sheet over where we all sit today.

The cold will be back......There will be another Ice Age

jon3030 and Genius like this.
  12. willbfishin

willbfishin Senior Member

I too have seen documentaries about the gulf of Maine warming and the impact it will have on lobster..... the question I ask myself is
    What were the water temps in the 90's in the Long Island sound when the lobstering was good then .... and how long IF ever will that be the temps in maine ?

I have no idea what they were but I would guess the water temps in the sound were WAY higher than anything we expect in the foreseeable future upbhete in maine ....I HOPE

13. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Water temps in Long Island sound were easily 72-75 degrees.
    When I was a kid we were lucky if it got to 72 for swimming.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  14. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
  15. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Interesting reports Old Mud. Thanks for the post.