Looking for a 30amp female plug to fit this Hubbell

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by HUNTHARD, Jan 11, 2018.

1. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Maybe you guys can help me find the part I am looking for before I get tortured going to my local west marine or marine supply store. I have a Hubbell stainless outlet cover in the cockpit we are going to use for electric reel hookup. They sell complete kits but I just need the female outlet end. There are small set screws on the back of the Hubbell 3 to be exact that hold the outlet in place. The three prong outlet must have two of the 3 prongs with bent tabs like a shore power cord. Most ones I have seen only have one bent prong. Unless the back of this Hubbell was custom made I should be able to find the receptacle that uses these small set screw to hold it in place. Pics attached.
    thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• 045.JPG
      045.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 049.JPG
      049.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 044.JPG
      044.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 046.JPG
      046.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
  2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Two bent prongs means 30A one bent means 20A, that may help you in your search.

Otherwise I got nothing.

3. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    I have seen one bent prong and it be 30amp too.

4. PBianculli

PBianculli Member

Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    26’ Fortier
    Does 2 bent prongs mean 220v and one bent prong 120v? Or 12vdc vs 24vdc?

5. leaky

leaky Captain

What do the reels actually run on?

Another option if it becomes a headache is to say the hell with the receptacle and/or plug, there are a zillion styles of receptacles out there which are easy to replace and can be found on the shelf at a hardware or marine store - DC style plugs for trolling motors and general purpose marine stuff, AC style for generators, AC style for chargers, AC style for shorepower, even standard plugs meant for 120 volt could be a good choice. Nice to run standard stuff so when things need to be replaced it's easy to find, that sort of exposed electrical stuff doesn't last forever.

Jon

6. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    The NEMA number on the cord end you have is FSL1. It appears to be 3 wire grounding receptacle rated for up to 28V.

https://www.coxhardware.com/pdf_files/NemaPlugChart.pdf

If this is indeed the configuration you want to use I would recommend a visit to your local quality electrical supply house and order the corresponding outlet. Hubbel is a brand and uses relatively standard stuff within their covers but you may be limited on the type that will fit in this particular cover based on the mounting flange.
    No doubt they will try to sell you the female cord end but make sure they are looking to get you the power outlet with this blade config and mounting flange.

The interweb may be your best friend on this one but the part your looking for is out there and will have the FSL1 designator.

What was the receptacle before? Can you change the cord end to match the receptacle? It may not be rated for the amperage or voltage you are needing but it is worth looking into.

Hope this helps

Toolate, Wharf Rat and leaky like this.
  7. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    It's two bent because it's DC cord end

PBianculli likes this.
  8. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    correct it's for an electric reel. Here is a pic of the female end I need. I am trying to find it not in the plastic rectangular housing. In a round housing I could fit into this Hubbell.

Attached Files:

• 059.JPG
      059.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
  9. PBianculli

PBianculli Member

Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    26’ Fortier
    Ahh that makes sense, thank you

10. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    It's 12v there was an old cable hook up and maybe phone, idk was a strange looking plug. I emailed Hubbell looked like a huge company. Will be surprised if I hear back. It's not a matter of finding something they make plastic yellow ones with rectangular lids I was hoping to keep the nice stainless cover I had. My gunnels go right to my deck or I would mount it under the gunnel and not worry about looking at it.i think they make white plastic too. That's last resort. Was hoping to find an insert to fit nicely in this stainless housing.

11. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Agree with XBSKT hit your local electrical supply house. Mine has a poster on the counter with 50 different ends and every time I Find the one I need. Bring that plate and the male cord end if you can.

12. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Ok.
    So using the original is out as it was for CATV and Phone as the cover says.
    The shore power socket you have likely only is supplied with a few standard _male_ ends for plugging in either your 30 or 50 amp cord. The low voltage you have being the other option.
    If you source a 30 amp shore power socket it will have male prongs and you would need to wire a female cord end to the cord on your reel.
    The problem with that is that when feeding power TO the reel it would mean when rewired this way the exposed prongs in the socket mounted on the boat would have exposed DC voltage (12 0r 24?)
    It is really not the best way to go. It is a safety issue even with a threaded cover. When you are plugging the reel in (unless you guarantee you will always shut the socket off before plugging in) you run the potential of coming into contact with the live prongs. This is why male and female cord ends are oriented the way they are. Exposed prongs are dead until inserted into the live outlet. Now add in a wet deck offshore with the boat rockin and rolling and the electrons have the advantage.
    I wonder if they make that Hubbell cover set up with female receptacles. That would make it easy to just change the cord end on the reel to match the receptacle you CAN put into the cover you want to use. I'll be interested to know if that FSL1 comes in that flanged mount. 50/50 at best is my guess.
    I might have to stop and ask my local branch manager.
    OR
    Can you mount the yellow FSL1 receptacle you have directly to the bulkhead it is going on with wood screws instead using the box it came with and then remount the cover with sealant in the flange groove? You might have to mortise in the yoke of the outlet so everything will sit flat but a worthy option to look into if nothing else works out.
    Interesting puzzle.

13. Robo

Robo Member

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    1985 31' BHM
    The Hubble stainless housing in the picture is designated Phone/TV. There is about zero chance that will fit up with any standard electrical fitting.
    Hubble makes very good stuff. Your only shot will come out of the Hubble catalog...if they make that configuration and it happens to fit in that phone housing. Not likely
    Robo

Robo,
    HUNTHARD likes this.
  14. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I was at the supply house today and indeed, as Robo says above, according to the guy I trust knows what he is talking about says after looking through all the Hubbell access points he has that FSL1 receptacle is not available with that flanged mount.
    Good luck on finding a solution you like.

15. leaky

leaky Captain

How many of those prongs does the reel use and do you know what it draws? If, for instance, it only uses 2 prongs and the 3rd is something that is just standard for another application, something like this could be fit onto a faceplate fitting over the existing hole (without cutting more holes in your boat). I've run a windlass off one of these before, 8 gauge wire. West Marine and even Walmart carries them for like $25 a set.

Jon

trollingMotor.jpg