Making a gin pole

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Billyclub, Jan 18, 2017.

1. speedwagon

speedwagon Senior Member

I need to sell my gin pole. It mounts on top of he rail and continues to the deck. It hinges just above the rail and it's bracketed off the side of the roof. Let me know if anyone is interested.

2. Duke

Duke Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Dyer 29
    I will uncover the boat about the 1st week in April. I'll take a picture then and post it.

Duke,
  3. Joshbel02

Joshbel02 Senior Member

Adirondack Timberframer/ lobsterman
    Boat Make:
    Sonny Hodgeton
    IMG_0021.JPG I made this for 350$...works gd, most of time I use tower but I slap this on when I dub around w some guppies on the rods

4. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

Jesus, what a slob

26 Fortier likes this.
  5. Scott Ratte

Scott Ratte New Member

Boat Make:
    Steiger Craft 31 DV
    To all, I am a new member of the forum and read the thread on gin poles. I am having a Steiger Craft DV 31 Miami built and am debating about method of loading tuna. I have been fishing an Edgewater 268CC for the past 9 years and built a ramp system with rope come-along from T-top structure, which worked ok. In the case of the new boat we want to mount a rotating gin pole with Arm so that we can lift easily from the tail and just swing head onto the deck. I read that you recommended a 10' lift distance but is that from outside of gunnel to the pulley? Also, can anyone recommend a fabricator for the gin pole? My approach will be similar to the slob Joshbel is pulling into his boat but hopefully with a taller pole and arm to swing head over the gunnel. Would also like it to be telescopic so it can be seated at a short depth and then put in a pin once raised up. I might be over-designing, but would appreciate some insight.

6. Jaredh

Jaredh New Member

Unfortunately the original poster, "Billyclub", passed away this past summer shortly after getting his first fish of the year. I do know he used Cumberland Ironworks (Matt St Cyr) to fabricate his gin pole.

I am sure some others on the forum will have some insight though.

7. Scott Ratte

Scott Ratte New Member

Boat Make:
    Steiger Craft 31 DV
    Gosh, that is sad, and testament to why we should all be enjoying our fishing days now before time unexpectedly runs out. I appreciate the information!