Meat Bars

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Cdux, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Finished sprucing up the squid bars & got couple heavy duty spreaders left over, which I assume are meant for rigging up dead macks as they got no flex to them.

Was thinking of setting them up with snap swivels for tinkers on the teasers and a horse as the stinger. But idk if its worth the effort in the end (prepping the bait and rigging on the water); are these effective or a relic of a by-gone era?

Cdux,
    30-06guy likes this.
  2. restless

restless Captain

I don't know if it's worth it but the bars should be easier than rigging Daisy Chains on wire. That took a lot of time to do it right. But they worked well in 1980!

plowin and 30-06guy like this.
  3. The Gaff

The Gaff Member

Self employed
    Boat Make:
    26GM
    Rigging up some old school mackerel spreaders would mean u will catch the older Bluefin that remember what they look like......they must be granders by now...........LOL

4. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I don't usually troll with squid bars much any more but if you want them to be more effective try placing the stinger 6' behind the rest of the rig, using a floro main line. You can even tie a tampon up inside in the stinger soaked in tuna x. Make sure everyone on board get a good whiff first light for good luck.

Mac rigs bring back memories of hours and hours of hydro gutting, freezing, and docks and decks covered in brine coolers. Really effective baits as you know but a ton of work. Those rigs are the main reason I first began to despise bluefish. For me, Daisy chains work well and not quite as heavy. If I were going to turn mac rigs into bars today I would go fake baits on the outside.

30-06guy likes this.
  5. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Thanks the input. Rigged my plastic stingers w/ a small snap inside for a soaked rag, but a tampon would be more absorbent.
    In both scenarios chains & bars, any thoughts on rigging the mack stinger as just a skippy or a perhaps a swimmer?

Cdux,
  6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    The first fish I ever caught over a 1000 lbs was on a single swimmer mac rigged on wire with a chin weight. So naturally, I did what I thought was right and fished macs for the next 4 weeks. I learned the hard way that was not the right thing to do. They can be on another bait in no time and if you ain't got it in your bag of tricks your shit out of luck. I think macs are a great June bait, swimming or splashing. Those fish that are not settled in yet do not bite very well. The macs seem to entice those early fish better than any other bait early in the year. In the fall these fish will eat anything as you know, but early I find they can be harder to bait. I think its important to think about what triggers them so I try to do as much as I can to create the triggers and get them to bite rather than just tow shit around.

One thing I do is pull a chain directly in front of another chain maybe 14' ahead, using the upper and lower outrigger positions. I have created a good concentrated splash, I'm going to investigate, (trigger). I have also created a realistic chase, someone might beat me to it, ( trigger). Must be a feed going on, bait chasing other bait, (trigger). I also have separation between chains, I see weaker baits falling behind so its an easy meal for me, (trigger), and it smells good, (trigger).

Squid bars, again thinking of triggers I would put a dropper herring under the rig and keep your hook bait 6' back. I always rigged mine with floro for the main line and used lobster elastics for stops instead of crimps and added some stink. The other thing that worked well with squid bars was to take the Uncle Josh black pork rinds, the long ones, and starting at the fat end using a pair of scissors, cut it up the middle almost all the way and tip the hook with the skinny end. The fluttering action is amazing. Does not hurt that your squid is now mimicking a real inking squid. The good thing about a squid rigs is they are easy and a great option when you have people on the boat and you just want to put them on fish. The downside is you tend to catch much larger fish on live or rigged bait so I don't use them much anymore.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    East Bound and Down and Cdux like this.
  7. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

When I trolled for giants years ago, we always used those big rubber squid...and pulled them slow, like 2-3knots slow. I cant got that slow anymore (no trolling valve), which is part of the reason i stopped trolling all together. anyone ever troll those things faster? Or will they just collapse onto themselves? I was always told never pull them fast, not meant for that. Slowest I can go is about 5kts or so...wondering if there is another style bar i should be looking at....would like to do a few troll trips this year in june....

8. leaky

leaky Captain

We don't troll for giants but we have caught them that way on accident. What I tend to think is the more surface area you cover with the bars the better - if they made 6 foot bars I'd run 6 foot bars with 30 squid or something :).. But seriously also I like the more bars the merrier: 6 anyway.. they tend to the furthest back, and black seems to always be the winner w/ a pretty stinger.. Never quite made up my mind on 18 or 13 inch squid, both produce, the 18's run better as there is more surface area.

One thing I will 2nd is what downrigga said on the stinger - if they are hitting the teasers that is usually the sign your stinger is to close or needs weight. You want the stinger to run underwater a bit zig zagging - I think it helps them see it versus having it up in the white water with the rest. 6 feet is about what I find works, maybe 5, but not 4.

Jon

NightBite and tuna_fan like this.