Modern Fish Act

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by Cdux, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Cdux,
    leaky likes this.
  2. leaky

leaky Captain

I haven't, would be OK I think to post the link to the other forum up.

Jon

3. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Cdux,
    leaky likes this.
  4. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

5. Parttime

Parttime Senior Member

Smells like limited entry.
    If it will count the number of fish....Not a bad thing.

6. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    This is a Bipartisan Bill with several sponsors on both sides of the isle. I don't know a ton about the bill but understand it provides regional managers to make adjustments to benefit recreational anglers instead of having to live with arbitrary rebuilding time lines. Like someone said to me, we could be fishing for cod now if this was in place. Here are some facts I found on another website.

Let’s look at some of the key provisions of the Modern Fish Act from both the fiction being told and the facts of the matter.

Alternative management measures for recreational fisheries

• FICTION - S. 1520 would, “Inappropriately exempt the recreational sector from the necessary management discipline imposed by annual catch limits and accountability measures.”
    • FACT – This provision simply frees the Councils to consider more appropriate recreational fisheries management measures when hard-poundage annual catch limits (ACL’s) are not effective. It does not exempt the recreational fisheries from adhering to annual harvest constraints. In fact, in a report from the Gulf Council’s Science and Statistical Committee on the feasibility of these alternative management measures proposed in the Modern Fish Act – “They noted that extraction rates, fishing mortality targets and harvest control rules could easily be implemented as catch limits…”
    Flexibility in rebuilding timelines

• FICTION – “Injects too much flexibility and ambiguity into the rebuilding timeline for overfished stocks.”
    • FACT – Both H.R. 2023 and S. 1520 eliminate arbitrary rebuilding timelines and replaces with a biologically-based timeline relative to individual species. It’s interesting to see organizations that claim to support science-based decision making opposing an effort to ensure that rebuilding plans are based on science, not an arbitrary 10-year requirement that has no scientific basis.
    Temporary Moratorium on Limited Access Privilege Programs (catch shares)

• FICTION – “Both the moratorium and the study are unnecessary and unwise”.
    • FACT – Of course this would be considered “unwise”, coming from the primary environmental organization that has received millions from foundations like the Walker Foundation and the Walton Family Foundation to push catch shares on both commercial and recreational fisheries. What they are concerned about is that the study by the National Academy of Sciences required by this provision might find that catch share programs may not be such a good idea in mixed-use fisheries.
    Process for allocation review

• FICTION – “Such reviews would divert significant resources from compelling management issues without significantly improving recreational fishermen satisfaction.”
    • FACT – Reallocation of quota between sectors is a difficult, exceedingly contentious process, much of which is caused by the ambiguity of what metrics the Council should weigh in making those decisions. To make periodic reallocation reviews more efficient, this provision simply requires the National Academy of Science to provide some clear criteria to consider. In the case of red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico, the allocation between the commercial and recreational sectors was set more than 20-years ago, using data 10-years prior. Fisheries change over time, and with today’s technologies, families have an opportunity to catch their fish themselves, rather than just purchasing from someone who profits from the resource like a restaurant or seafood market.
    It is sad that some environmental organizations have now enlisted the help of New Orleans chefs to tell their “story” as it relates to red snapper when it is clear they have no idea what the Modern Fish Act actually does, nor do they know anything about recreational fishing. In a recent E&E News article, one such restaurant owner/operator is quoted as saying, "It'd be nice to have $150,000 boats to get 30, 40 miles offshore, but most people can't do that." Most people don’t have to. I’ve caught red snapper within five miles of Pensacola Beach, Florida in a 10-year old 20-foot, single-engine bay boat, and was surrounded by similar boats all landing snapper. Likewise, we easily catch red snapper out of small boats within 8 miles of Orange Beach, Alabama and 10 miles of Grand Isle, Louisiana. This is not a rich man’s game (although the average $25/pound cost of red snapper at a seafood market might lead you to think otherwise), but a public trust resource available to tens of thousands of anglers from all walks of life.

As the original fisheries conservationists, anglers demand that our fisheries be managed sustainably. Nothing in the Modern Fish Acts undermines the fisheries conservation or sustainability tenants of MSA. It simply looks to strengthen MSA by bringing parity for millions of recreational anglers to a federal management model designed primarily for commercial fisheries.

7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Thanks for posting that Dave.