My first boat project

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Jerzy54, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Hi Guys, here is another queston regarding epoxies. Did any of you used Vinyl Ester epoxy and how did it work for you. What was the covrage, can you laminate with it, how about saturation of the fiberglass?
    Thanks for any input.

2. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    VE isn't epoxy.

kcassells likes this.
  3. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    my bad, it is resin, thanks for correction.

4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I second the use of vinylester resin for this project. It looks like you will be using quite a bit. Vinylester is waterproof like epoxy, but it costs less. The bad part is the fumes it emits compared to that of epoxy. It looks to me as if someone was trying to increase the stiffness of the hull by making the bottom thicker after it was removed from the mold with the stringers already installed........providing it was built in the usual way. On the other hand, if it was laid up around the outside of an existing hull and then removed before the stringers could be installed, the floor "patches" might make some sense.

[​IMG]

5. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    I guess nobody was using vinyl ester. As is in my description this is my first boat project and I feel that all the sh--- I'm finding in this boat is just to make me give up.
    I was doing a lot of web research and nothing looks like things I'm finding on this boat. Here are a few pictures and maybe someone can tell me is this common thing or not.
    I'm finding a lot of glass on the bottom of the hull and because I'm a rookie I really don't know is this normal or I'm dealing with major hull problem.
    Just please don't mind my ignorance.

Attached Files:

6. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Sorry, i didn't notice previous post. There is a lot of glass in the hull, transom was rotten, but there is small part someone replaced and it is not rotten, but dosen't fit a engine key hole and I want to fix it.
    There is no way I can take off the top of the boat in my back yard to get to the top of the transom, I need to find ways around to fix this transom some other way. On the first picture you can see all the glass on the bottom. Can I laminate on it or I have to grind it off.

7. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
    Oy Vey! What year is this boat, do you know? I looked up Pogo and only found sailboats and I'm not sure they are built in this country. I can't for the life of me understand why they laid that much glass in the hull especially between stringers. Do you know how thick it is (total)? In the first picture in your last post what is the grey stuff. It kinda looks like bilgecote.

If you are into fairly good glass (not de-laminated) or pulls apart easily Then a good surface grind for the resin/epoxy to grab hold of and you should be good t o go. Key thing is you want it to be fairly level, not with big crevices or sharp changes in levels (elevations). This will create air bubbles in the new laminate.

8. Genius

Genius Captain

Boat Make:
    Is this a fiberglass hull? I can't really see everything from the pictures but it looks like the keel goes through the hull to the inside. Could it be some sort of cold molded design? Almost looks like they laid fiberglass down to cover the inside of the hull and up over the stringers and frames.

9. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Thanks guys, for a quick response. This boat boat was custom build around 1970 by Bald Mountain Boats in Boothbay Maine. She was design by Fred Bates. This info is from the previous owner who purchased it in 2011 and had this "PROFESSINALLY RESTORED" the same year by Seal Cove Boatyard in Harborside Maine. I have cost sheet form this boatyard. There were no repair done to the hull,
    stringers or transom. The hull is a fiberglass. The is a skeg keel boat and wooden keel was attached to the hull with bolts thru and bolted to "keelson. I will try to grind this weekend some areas to see what is there.

10. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Ok guys, I did my first test run with grinder this afternoon and I need 7" more powerful grinder and 24 grid sanding discs.
    Can you guys tell me is this what I am looking for in the whole boat? Here are a few photos from today's run.
    First photo how was yesterday, second same area after grinding and third starboard and port are tasks for tomorrow.
    The hull is all fiberglass as you can see on the pictures. Wish me luck for tomorrow.

Attached Files:

11. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Did any of you used 7" diamond concrayte whell on fiberglass?

12. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    Looking better. I know it's more expense, more time, more material, more weight, etc. but I wish builders would finish off with a couple layers of mat or at least some thickened resin over heavy roving. Especially where bulkheads would go. Makes the secondary bond a little easier.

Bpd92 likes this.
  13. SHORT STEP

SHORT STEP Senior Member

retired
    Boat Make:
    Tripp / midland
    Get a concrete wheel on the 7 in grinder , it eats glass up
    Bob

14. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    I agree with you about that. I got 133 lb. of the CSM and 219 lb. of the 1708. I had to buy whole roll at $1.75/lb. for the 1708 and $ 1.00 for CSM. I think it is enough ,even if I woul like to reinforce hull.

Attached Files:

15. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Thanks Bob, that what I was thinking about, just to remove excess glass. Grinder is coming today and I will give a try.

16. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    10 hours of sending!!!! God help me.LOL.

Attached Files:

17. morichesfisherman27

morichesfisherman27 Captain

Boat Make:
    34 webbers cove
    looking good, little at a time

Jerzy54 likes this.
  18. Genius

Genius Captain

Boat Make:
    Don't loose your marks for where the stringers and frames landed, if you want to duplicate. Transfer the marks to the sides for reference? Making progress, looks much better. Is all that glass to put down on the hull or for stringer encapsulating?

Jerzy54 likes this.
  19. Jerzy54

Jerzy54 Member

Manager
    Boat Make:
    1970 Pogo Custom
    Just a little update, after a week or so I went back to my favorite task of grinding. I spent almost three hours with 7" grinder and 24 grid wheel to grind one section maybe there feet wide and the width of the hull. There is lots of glass everywhere. I watched a lot of You Tube videos of the boats projects and I never saw anybody to have as much glass like this boat. As you see on the attached photo I left lip of the old deck to have a reference of the height for my new stringers. After I put the stringers I will remove this lip and I will have to grind a little bit more up the sides to have clean surface for tabbing the deck.

Let me know do you agree with this approach. Here is today's progress photo.
    20170606_185900.jpg

20. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    Looks more like a boat now, nice job. I'd like to know where the who did the layup figured his scantilings from. Not to add insult to injury but, do you know how many cu/ft of glass you removed???