Need help with steering please

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Dragup, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Dragup

Dragup Member

Made up a new rudder for the 25 t Jason old one was keyed 30 degrees starboard with a hydroslave quadrant the p 1 bushing was altered so you had 21 inches to starboard on the rudder and 16 inches port so the new rudder was keyed center forward and the ram is 6and 3/4 throw so I figure half would be center 3 3/8 but it still doesn’t work I figure your supposed to get equal rudder turn off of center I made a mock up to figure it out now I’m confused and need some advice before I move forward thanks

Attached Files:

2. Dragup

Dragup Member

Maybe with this style you can’t get equal amounts off center

3. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I think the problem might be a result of the fixed pin location that the slot moves on. Try relocating that to one side or the other a little bit and see what happens.

4. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    I wish I could help...I've stared at one of those set ups for days and couldn't get it my head how it works. Ran into something similar where the person put it back together wrong and it did strange things.

5. Dragup

Dragup Member

I figured it out took awhile lots of adjusting figured out I can’t put it strait hatch won’t fit so I’ll offset it tap new holes in the bushing,got the same swing of the rudder 19 inches off of center both ways

Keelboater likes this.
  6. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    Drill and tap new holes in the quadrant is the easiest way to get it where you want it. You don't have to move it much to move the ruder a lot, and some times the holes are close together. It looks like a hard spot with it right under the edge of the hatch. Make sure the dead end has room to slide in the slot. I have seen them installed wrong before, and it will bend the rudder, or rip the mount off. You could swing the unit to one side so the hatch will miss the ram. It doesn't really matter what directions it is headed from the rudder shaft.

7. Dragup

Dragup Member

Thanks that’s exactly what I ended up doing,just have to glass in a New steering block off to starboard